dumpster

Turn your PS-Vita / PSTV into a fantastic emulation machine.

Ea replay on Adrenaline (psp emu) IMG_20181011_221034.thumb.jpg.cb8c9081349261603ec4e2b8c8fd03a4.jpg

Brutal Sports football on UAE (amiga emu)

IMG_20181016_222259.thumb.jpg.82bcbd3fc286a10c8dd6c6567734aafa.jpg

Cannon fodder on Pico drive (megadrive emu) running in Andrenaline

IMG_20181014_220346.thumb.jpg.c5f73616ced7295b0e09c43cee598709.jpg

Snowboard Kids on Daedalus (N64 emu) running in Adrenaline. Notethe few dodgy textures. Trees are not meant to be that colour

IMG_20181014_203341.thumb.jpg.1db64d4335bead77f35f2fbb3fa9376f.jpg

Tempted to get one of these and cancel my Playstation Classic pre-order because this seemingly has better specs anyway, right? And I can use my PS4 controller? No brainer, really.

I presume it has no problem emulating SNES, Megadrive and PS1, but can it emulate PS2 games?

Also if I buy a random one off ebay what are the chances the firmware it has on it will be homebrewable(?, jailbreakable?)

And what's the going rate, about £90?

Will I get my PSN account banned for emulating stuff?

I bought one from CEX last week for £50. When it arrived everything inside was still sealed, despite the outer box being open. Even the game download codes were still sealed in a little Vita cartridge case.

On 10/11/2018 at 16:38, mushashi said:

You want one preferably below 3.60 or 3.65, so I've been reliably informed. Anything below the latest works if you want to do things Sony doesn't endorse.

The one in CEX near me (£48) has 3.55. :) Seems likely I’ll be getting it.

Is it wise to pick up an 8GB Vita memory card too?

EDIT: Is there an updated guide for all this? I’ve seen plenty places advising to update it to 3.65, but they’re all six months old at least. Feel free to PM if you don’t want to post links. Would appreciate it. Hoping I can get this thing set up and cancel my PS Classic preorders.

13 hours ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

The one in CEX near me (£48) has 3.55. :) Seems likely I’ll be getting it.

Is it wise to pick up an 8GB Vita memory card too?

EDIT: Is there an updated guide for all this? I’ve seen plenty places advising to update it to 3.65, but they’re all six months old at least. Feel free to PM if you don’t want to post links. Would appreciate it. Hoping I can get this thing set up and cancel my PS Classic preorders.

There's no need to buy a memory card if you are going down the SD2VITA route.  Or if you're using PSTV, use a USB stick.  Update your 3.55 to 3.60 (use the guides you find online, don't use the console itself to update because that will take you to the latest firmware). Once you have 3.60, go to the Henkaku Website to do the mod, then use Enzo to make the mod permanent.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, dumpster said:

There's no need to buy a memory card if you are going down the SD2VITA route.  Or if you're using PSTV, use a USB stick.  Update your 3.55 to 3.60 (use the guides you find online, don't use the console itself to update because that will take you to the latest firmware). Once you have 3.60, go to the Henkaku Website to do the mod, then use Enzo to make the mod permanent.

Can you hack it without the Sony memory stick now then? Used to be that sd2vita didn't work until original hack was done via the sony one. 

Or maybe I'm wrong it was a while ago now

5 hours ago, Wonderm said:

Can you hack it without the Sony memory stick now then? Used to be that sd2vita didn't work until original hack was done via the sony one. 

Or maybe I'm wrong it was a while ago now

Doesn't the Vita come with a memory card in the box? I think I'm getting confused. You don't need to buy a memory card because the 4gb that comes with the Vita is enough to do the mods.  If you haven't got one Cex do them for £4.  

But yes, I think you are right , you'd need to do the Enzo mod by copying the vpk to the vita, then copy across the sd2vita plugins. Then when it's all working you copy your whole memory card onto an SD card. Then switch them over. So yes, you do need a Vita memory card. But I thought you got a 4gb as standard. 

14 hours ago, dumpster said:

Doesn't the Vita come with a memory card in the box? I think I'm getting confused. You don't need to buy a memory card because the 4gb that comes with the Vita is enough to do the mods.  If you haven't got one Cex do them for £4.  

But yes, I think you are right , you'd need to do the Enzo mod by copying the vpk to the vita, then copy across the sd2vita plugins. Then when it's all working you copy your whole memory card onto an SD card. Then switch them over. So yes, you do need a Vita memory card. But I thought you got a 4gb as standard. 

I plan on using this guide: https://vita.hacks.guide/

If you have a PS Vita 1000, you must also have an official Sony memory card (of any size) to follow this guide. This restriction does not apply to the PS Vita 2000 or PS TV as those devices have a built-in memory card.

VitaTV has 1GB built-in memory. :)

On 16/11/2018 at 11:12, disperse and recoagulate said:

I presume it has no problem emulating SNES, Megadrive and PS1, but can it emulate PS2 games?

No chance of emulating the PS2! But there are a fair few native Vita ports of PS2 games, like Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, God of War. First party stuff mostly, I think. It can perfectly emulate PSP as well.

You'll have to search around for the best SNES and MD emulators. Retroarch generally does everything but I find it a bit sluggish. Some PSP emulators are better than their Vita counterparts (emulator-in-an-emulator!). There's no slick interface for everything, it's a bit of a mish-mash right now.

• Upvote 1

Just ordered an OLED one with Hakeno or something... talking to the guy and he says it plays everything and is good to go, even filled with games and has a 64GB card.  Not bad for £99, saves me doing the setup if I bought one for around £70.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

There's no slick interface for everything, it's a bit of a mish-mash right now.

You can make bubbles on the PS Vita Home Screen for PSP apps, which is pretty cool.  As you rightly say, some of the emulators for the Vita are not as good as the PSP equivalent, so if you install the PSP one in Adrenaline, then make a bubble for it on the Vita Homescreen it saves a lot of faff.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VitaPiracy/comments/7u5aw4/pspps1_games_on_a_bubble/

I have a PSTV & I keep going back & forth on whether I should try using the Whitelist hack or not.  All of my PSOne games have transferred to it & work perfectly, & going back through my PSN download list about half of the games that I have cross-buy versions of work too.  This means that my PSTV is a lovely alternative to the PlayStation Classic but with some bonus PSN & PSP stuff thrown in & perhaps I should just keep it that way, but the fact that neither the Ratchet & Clank or Sly Trilogies work on the device despite there being no reason that they shouldn’t (at least, as far as I’m aware) does bother me as I love those Triliogies to bits.

Theres also the fact that I’m on 3.69.  Some claim this Firmware is just as easy to use the Whitelist hack on as all the others, but I’m still hesitant.

Should I just be happy with what I’ve got, & put thoughts of hacking out of my mind until the PSTV has passed fully out of Sony’s thoughts & is left totally to the hackers?

The Sly Trilogy on Vita uses the rear touch pad as a "button", which is probably why it's not Vita TV compatible. I don't know how the whitelist works for Vita games but I suppose that can be forced onto the DualShock's extra buttons or touch pad somehow?

Seems to be a new firmware v3.70 out. Not sure what it does, nothing exciting is my guess. Just spoofed Henkaku to 3.70 and was still able to use PSN store etc so still no need to update for me.

• Upvote 2