TehStu

NFL and NCAA Football 2018

Just making a thread because we need one :)

Iowa off to a shaky start, blocked punt on our first downs. Northern Illinois in FG, but he fluffed it. 

I can't believe it's college football season already, where did summer go?

if we win today, it'll be our coach's 144th, spanning 20 years. Hayden Fry, our last couch, was at the helm for the 20 years prior. Bonkers commitment.

• Upvote 3

Ohio Bobcats won yesterday, but it was pretty sketchy against much lower-ranked opposition. Supporting a small college is a lot of fun in some ways; I starting supporting the Bobcats after playing as them in NCAA 14 and ended up talking to/being followed on Twitter by a bunch of their players, one of whom was drafted by the Dolphins this year.

He didn't make the final roster which is a shame, but still - strange sense of pride seeing the good players from my little team reach the big leagues. Tarrell Basham got drafted by - and is still on the roster for - the Colts last year.

About to take part in my first NFL Fantasy Draft this evening. I've been casually watching for a couple of years now so I'm familiar with most of the big name players I think, but picking out a squad is going to be tough. Any advice or recommendations for players to try and grab would be most helpful!

Standard draft? I'm into my third season in some money leagues now. I practiced the season before, and used the following as a guide (well, the one for 2015!)

http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/story/0ap3000000936204/article/the-best-fantasy-football-draft-strategy-for-2018

Pick RB first, then RBs or WRs. Good Quarterback value can be had down the draft. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Ohio Bobcats won yesterday, but it was pretty sketchy against much lower-ranked opposition. Supporting a small college is a lot of fun in some ways; I starting supporting the Bobcats after playing as them in NCAA 14 and ended up talking to/being followed on Twitter by a bunch of their players, one of whom was drafted by the Dolphins this year.

He didn't make the final roster which is a shame, but still - strange sense of pride seeing the good players from my little team reach the big leagues. Tarrell Basham got drafted by - and is still on the roster for - the Colts last year.

College football is great (payment of players issue aside). Proper rivalries betwen teams. Tribal fans similar to soccer fans here. My ex-gf is from Micigan and studied at Michigan State so i've a Spartans fan for 10 years or so. When you mentioned pride see players draftes or play, its so true as im a big Kirk cousins fan and he was brilliant for MSU. I said Washingto should have played him not RG3 from day one. Im happy to see him getti g the respect he deserves

Khalil Mack has been traded from the Raiders to The Bears for 2 first round draft picks. I wasnt expecting that, i was pretty sure theyd work out a deal. Cant wait for thursday :D

Sky sports for full games, loads of highlights and awesome NFL Films documentary programs. Sky Sports mix shows games too. Or Youtube has decent highlights. BBC does an MOTD type show, which for me doesnt have enough game footage to really be worth watching. If you dobt have Sky, then the highlights on Youtube are way better than the BBC. 

Sky sports is great but is £20 a month unless you have a friend who will give you a skygo pass. 

I just watched browns v Denver 87 game(free on sky sports mix), 98 yard drive to tie with 37 secs left on the clock, I knew it was coming but amazing to watch. Then a Denver chap barefoot kicked the winner in OT. 9 players used to kick barefoot! 

3 hours ago, minstrels said:

So what's the best/easiest/cheapest way to watch NFL in the UK?

NFL Gamepass is cheaper than Sky.

It also means you don't have to endure the fucking awful pundits, Sky seem so happy to keep employed

On 03/09/2018 at 01:32, Headache said:

About to take part in my first NFL Fantasy Draft this evening. I've been casually watching for a couple of years now so I'm familiar with most of the big name players I think, but picking out a squad is going to be tough. Any advice or recommendations for players to try and grab would be most helpful!

How did it go?

3 hours ago, ilpostino said:

How did it go?

Pretty good, just got my draft summary email back and was given a B+ rating with a projected we record of 9-5. Here's my main picks.

362108066_Screenshot_20180906-175215_NFLFantasyFootball.thumb.jpg.78bcb551210eb8b233ece061bbcdb92d.jpg

• Upvote 2

Good team, that. Nice selection of running backs, which is important. Reckon you'll do pretty well!

My team for my work fantasy league. Everyone's been in it for years, so I am pretty pleased with what I managed to assemble. That said, I wanted Devonta Freeman and Jay Ajayi, but they went in consecutive picks just before me in the fourth round :(

fantasy.PNG

I've also got Brandin Cooks, Carlos Hyde and Julian Edelman (to be used post-suspension) on the bench.

On 03/09/2018 at 10:18, McFly said:

My ex-gf is from Micigan and studied at Michigan State so i've a Spartans fan for 10 years or so. 

Oh my word, we are mortal enemies, sir.

CyHawk trophy today, Iowa v Iowa State. Whole city is buzzing here. I was out shopping about maybe a mile from the stadium and you could smell the tailgating.

Edit- it's still awesome every time the entire stadium turns and waves to the kids looking down from the children's hospital.

20 hours ago, TehStu said:

Oh my word, we are mortal enemies, sir.

I dont know you, but i think i hate you.....:p

CyHawk trophy today, Iowa v Iowa State. Whole city is buzzing here. I was out shopping about maybe a mile from the stadium and you could smell the tailgating.

That sounds awesome. Some people over here dont get the tailgating thing. Its a whole day event going to a ndl/college game. Its not a 90minute match to be endured like lots of football is here.

Great start by the Dolphins. A 90+ yd drive for a touchdown. Haven’t seen that in a long time. 

I’m going to the Texans @ Titans next week in Nashville. Should be good to see an NFL game actually in America. 

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

Great start by the Dolphins. A 90+ yd drive for a touchdown. Haven’t seen that in a long time. 

I’m going to the Texans @ Titans next week in Nashville. Should be good to see an NFL game actually in America. 

That should be good fun. Get some good barbecue food before hand :D

Browns v Steelers had plenty drama and featured something pretty rare!

UK radio coverage us on TalkSport and TalkSport 2 with goold ol' Nat Coombs and Mike Carlsson.  Yes, its alledgedly old fashioned but i l9v3 my radio and NFL in bed on sunday nights somewhat makes the thought of imminent work bareable.

That Green Bay - Chicago game was wild. 20-0 down, Rodgers on one leg after a nasty-looking injury, and they pull out the win. What a game.

8 hours ago, Mallet said:

They have the rookie in now I see

Allen looked considerably better, even in garbage time. Threw the ball better, looked confident, put together a reasonably good drive, too.

Can't see how Peterman returns for next week, unless they're protecting Allen against the tough defences they face the next few weeks (Chargers, Vikings).

9 hours ago, Baring said:

Oh wow that was awesome and why we love the sport! 

It would have been even more lovable if we'd have won the game :(. Bloody Steelers just would not give up.

Still, at least we're not going 0-16 this year. Our defence looked pretty ferocious at times. Myles Garrett is an absolute beast!