If its 1v1 rather than bap i would bow it to be honest. Just isnt my thing at all.

The enjoyment of bap is the bantz and playing with a regular group i.e practice etc

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Jamin said:

No way we're gonna get 60. I think part of the problem in the past was the recruitment itself, which whilst it worked well, it attracted a load more casual peeps who never posted on the forum and then dropped out early on. Much better to get a small group of people who post and are reliable, even if the numbers are small. I think anyone looking to join the league has to be active on here to promote the bants, etc.

With the numbers we've got atm maybe we should do a proper 1v1 league with a couple of divisions, 10-12 teams per division?

As good as it would be for Saint to come back, he's obviously not keen or too fussed, nor can I blame him, but others above have offered their services - Steel ran an awesome FTL league, and Smith's offer to run it sounds good to me. It just needs a bit of organisation and someone who will stay the course, prob best with an assistant to keep results and league tables up to date (I'd be happy to help with the admin side).

I'd suggest something like once numbers are confirmed, whoever we all decide to be the best two players who have signed up (gooner? Baz? Steely? I'm out of touch these days :P) play everyone once who has signed up and then they rank them by top 12 in Div 1, bottom 12 in Div 2, etc.

Then we work out League rules. E.G. Which teams we should use (5*, 4.5*, specific divisions). We could alternate each season and obviously give the best players worse teams to help balance it all. We could use public votes for all of this.

Run the 1v1 league for a season (so about 2-3 months assuming 2 games a week), hopefully with these keen folks numbers will hold.

Or if we have numbers for a BAP league currently crack on with that to start? Or have different people involved in different leagues (e.g. someone leads with 1v1 league, someone does BAP).

Apart from the final paragraph and you claiming you are out of touch this is a great post and I fully support a stab at a 1v1 league.

Admin me up, track results, chase anyone that lags, remind @GrahamDunn he is a wee fanny, I will cover it all!

• Upvote 3

I also reckon more players per BAP team (6-7ish) is the way to go, rather than more teams.  Otherwise it just becomes the Who Has The Best Any Cup. 

Let's just give BAP a run out first and think about 1v1 later.  We're all fogetting an important point:  FIFA 19 might be absolute wank!

• Upvote 3

Even a Champ League style group tournament as a trial of 1v1 might be a good idea? Say we get 16 players, split into 4 groups. Play each team once, top 2 into one knock out section, bottom into another bit like Europa league drop outs except bottom team still gets at least one more game. Means less commitment (4 games at most) and give us a decent sense of how the new version holds up.

I know 16 is maybe a bit ambitious but that would be the ideal number for that setup to work. Could be done and dusted in a few weeks.

• Upvote 1

Dr Poplove has a gameplay overview up.

I find him usually pretty on the money with his thoughts on the series, so if you can stomach the appalling music in the background give it a watch.

• Upvote 2

I know I'm the resident PES fanboy so ignore me but this seems really poor. I'm probably just shit, not quite used to the controls and various other things, but really? Look at this ridiculous header the AI scored while falling backwards.

I did prefer FIFA between 08 to 14 and I'd love for it to be the better game again with its working menus and licences and overall presentation, but every year I try it and it seems to be getting worse. It's since FUT became massive that it seems it's become worse.

PES has a lot of issues too, but FIFA just feels like it's played on ice or something and the goals are all weird low, slow, straight as an arrow finishes. (Or the absolutely insane bullet headers which I'm sure will be the big thing everyone makes a fuss over that will have to be patched).

Compare that FIFA goal with this one from PES.

As the tweet says, despite all the shit in PES, you still get great moments. Maybe I'm just shit at FIFA, but I never get that feeling from it.

Anyway, I'll fuck off again now. Just thought I'd share my thoughts.

I see what you're saying, and I'm hardly FIFA's biggest fan, but your two videos just show the bad side of FIFA versus the good side of PES. Both have bad moments and neither are perfect. I want to like PES and I do in many respects but the flaws are there and are imo bigger than FIFA. At least the 18 versions which I played both of. The one thing I don't get about PES is how fucking shite the menus are - and have been for literally EVER. Surely that wouldn't be too hard a fix?

FIFA has had a problem with bullet headers for a few versions though, agreed, and that video shows it at it's unbelievable worst.

I never bother with the FIFA demo nowadays - the final release version is always substantially different so I don't bother downloading now.

PES has plenty of issues. The menus are terrible but that doesn't bother me too much. It's the on pitch issues in both games that get to me.

FIFA is fun, I'll give it that. With all the default assists you can have a good time with it. I think it's better without them but then things come apart a bit. It's just that the fun is good for a 20 minute arcade type thing rather than a year of playing.

I get that FIFA and PES people are just different and want different things so there's not going to be much agreement. It's my fault for coming in here moaning but I am genuinely curious what FIFA players think of it. I don't want to argue, but if FIFA fans really like this year's demo then it will seem really clear to me that we just want totally different games.

Yeah, the demo had been live for an hour when you posted first, that's hardly enough time to judge it.

Fifa18 was a shocking mess, so much so that it single-handedly broke up this once thriving subforum.

As a result, I've jumped into PES19, it's been my main game since it launched. It took me a good few day to get to grips with the basics of the gameplay (holding R1 to sprint was a shock), and I wouldn't dare dream of criticising it till something clicked.

On the pitch, it's a bit of a wonder game honestly, although I'd stop short of recommending everyone giving it a go because the transition is tough.

So I'd be wary of judging Fifa19 on an hour's play, for exactly the same reason.

Plus, like Jamin said, the game always noticably different from the demo. And it takes a good while (at least a month of two) of play to really unearth what the game is.

If it's never going to hold your attention for that long, there's nothing wrong with saying it's not for you.
But to think you have a proper handle on what the game is after an hour of play (or even a few days), then you're mistaken.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, agreed, but I have played FIFA a lot in the past. I preferred it to PES between 08-14 and gave last year’s a decent go. 

Admittedly that doesn’t mean anything this year, but it’s the more general things that have been there for year’s like the weirdly smooth feel to the pitch which I can’t describe at all. 

These are things that have been there for years so you can immediately tell if they still are, however, it seems they’re also things that are very subjective with some people preferring them. 

always need to explain your history on footy games, I was an ISS and PES player on PS1&2, then defected to FIFA for years and recently have been torn between both

only having played the demos for a few games FIFA feels far better than PES to my tastes this year, PES felt sluggish and heavy whereas FIFA feels very snappy and precise.

For once the FIFA demo has a really good feel to it, after trying the PES one last week which felt sluggish by comparison. 

Although, it is offline which generally plays well every year, it’s getting online that’s always the real test of quality in a FIFA release. 

I think we all realise that PES can be so wonderful in ways FIFA probably can’t. But we’d never, ever have been able to play any kind of league with it. It’s a horror show online, on PC and console. It’s a huge shame, as it may have ran FIFA close a few years for being this sub forums game of choice for BAP/League/etc. 

I was going to end this post with a poignant analogy using Tesco Finest sausage rolls vs a local bakery’s effort, but it was the wurst. 

• Upvote 4

I really enjoyed this Fifa 19 demo! - played very well I thought. I skipped Fifa 2018 completely so cant compare it to much.

PES is also good but the presentation and licences pisses me off greatly. They will never get the commentary right either.

EDIT: just played Spurs v Man City and won.  really like this.

Mid way through a game, what an improvement!

The first change which seems minor but there are now 2 arrows. 1 Red for the player you are controlling and 1 in a yellowish colour to indicate who you will switch to if you press L1. Makes defending easier (how many times would you press L1 and it switch to the wrong player)

There is a bar above your player when you strike a shot but I didn't pay attention to what it does, just get it in the green marker for the sweet spot though i'm sure.

The game runs smoother than 18 and just feels smoother. Hopefully they get the servers right and the online play right and it could make for a good fifa :O

I think a couple of donkeys old issues have finally been fixed (yay):

- Map icon conflicts

- Unresponsive menus

Haven't checked if they reverted the 3D radar after the shambles of a decision to adjust it last year or why language select isn't saved or why referee uniforms still clash with kits etc. 

I noticed the core control scheme has had a major change, again, it's happened for about 4 games in a row now. I've had to change to a custom setup rather than "classic" for a while now; I suspect most of you will swap the shooting back to O/B rather than the right bumper. 

RE: The PES debate, there is no debate.

Played some games on the demo last night. First impressions is that it's really good. Everything flows nicely. It feels as if they've tweaked the gameplay to make us want to play Guardiola / Sarri style football - quick passing and attacking. I know the demo is usually nothing like the final game - so interested to see how it turns out! The presentation is incredible, which unfortunately for PES is always going to kill it. 

Never really gone too deep into changing controller settings, but tempted to lower / remove the assists. Anyone else do this? If so, would be great to know your settings. 

• Upvote 1

The AI scored the best goal against me that I've ever seen on Fifa.

Playing on Legendary difficulty, Man Utd vs Man City.

De Bruyne picked the ball up inside my half, then it was a whirlwind of first time passes between De Bruyne, Aguero and David Silva who just tiki taka'd into my box before David Silva finished with a first time shot on the half volley into the top corner, I couldn't do anything to stop it, the passes and movement were too quick, it would never have happened on a previous Fifa.

• Empathy 1