Licencing like Marketing is one of the great evils of the modern era. So much effort spent controlling their little product and simultaneously trying to sell the licence as much as possible. If you cannot (or will not) continue to use the IP licence a fair usage non commercial policy should apply after a period of time.

Related, as more games are now media-less or require downloaded elements does anyone wonder about the future of our hobby? Spin on 20 years and how will you get games for your old Ps4 or XB1?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Soulstar said:

So what about the translated roms that you can't get anywhere? That's something I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention yet. I was aware of this through the new Jim Sterling vid I saw a bit earlier. I don't often get roms, and have bought the SNES Mini myself and don't mind doing that, but there are definitely hard to reach things that are not feasible any other way. It was the translated roms that came to mind quite quickly. 

romhacking.net

smspower.org

smwcentral.net

Archive.org has links to numerous Smokemonster-curated romsets which contain exhaustive collections of translations, hacks etc - not to mention complete romsets for arcade boards which have flashcarts available for them (Sega STV, Taito F3 etc).

• Upvote 1

Am I alone in thinking this is the time to dig out full ROM sets of certain formats before they disappear completely rather than the one title in a while approach? Almost the opposite of what's intended by these changes. Wiiware has gone, Xbox Live Arcade; any other examples of lost systems/catalogues? (Some games from those have reappeared on Steam though).

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Am I alone in thinking this is the time to dig out full ROM sets of certain formats before they disappear completely rather than the one title in a while approach? Almost the opposite of what's intended by these changes. Wiiware has gone, Xbox Live Arcade; any other examples of lost systems/catalogues? (Some games from those have reappeared on Steam though).

I don't think it's getting quite that bad, there are lots of well-seeded torrents of full ROM sets, although there are lots of ones where people have taken all the Japanese stuff out too. There are also full images of RetroPie set-ups doing the rounds, although they are a bit on the large side.

WiiWare and XBLIG etc are a different matter. Once again it looks like it's been down to pirates to keep those available to play.

A lot of stuff that seems lost now will be back again at some point. Hackers will keep hacking and reverse engineering. Emulators of more recent consoles will continue to improve. People will scrape stuff off old hard disks. Some games will get re-released etc. etc.

I'm not sure about videos but many platforms will have homebrew software and or bespoke hardware to enable the dumping of roms. It depends what you're interested in.

The Super NT's rom dumping tool (available with the 'unofficial' jailbroken firmware) has already lead to a couple of newly dumped SNES ROMs. The PC Engine SSD3 and UperGrafx add-ons can dump HuCards. DB Electronics has a tool called the Universal Mega Dumper which can dump all kinds of cartridges with the appropriate adaptors. Any hacked 3DS can dump 3DS and DS carts into byte-perfect ROMs with the Godmode9 tool. An original DS can dump GBA carts with the GBA back up tool on a flashcart. Back in the day it was the disk copiers for the MD and SNES which enabled easy cartridge dumping..

• Upvote 2

I remember I used to use my wildcard to make them from SNES cartridges. This was before I knew what an emulator was though and never knew it was the same file format until about 8 years later. 

5 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Theisozone has now fallen too. Sad times. 

I think the guy in charge hasn't been involved for a few years and has handed it all to RetroZone. So don't think it's linked to what's going with the other.