rllmuk
PC Master Race

Star Trek: Picard - 'Best Trek Ever' says everyone

1 minute ago, Harsin said:

Says the bloke who's made 7 nigh identical stop being mean about the thing I like posts on this page alone.

It's like raaaaaaaaaaain on your wedding day...

Oh boy. I sure like reading the same thing over and over. 

10 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

If nobody gave a fuck the first time, it’s likely just repeating yourself into the void won’t make a difference. 

The irony in this post is delicious.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Hexx said:

He's a joke 'forum character' account right? No one can be this lacking in self awareness?

Speaking of trying something original. 

2 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

Oh boy. I sure like reading the same thing over and over. 

1 minute ago, PC Master Race said:

See above. 

:lol:

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! What would Captain Picard say? Anyway, now PC Master Race has made a gracious apology let us resume normal service.

• Upvote 2

Did others like Icheb much? I liked him a fair bit in Voyager - although he contributed to an the problematic ambundence of Borg stories.

I'm really struggling with how I felt about the opening and I'm not sure it's because it was OTT (or at least unexpectedly) graphic or because my feelings on character...or both

6 minutes ago, Hexx said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Did others like Icheb much? I liked him a fair bit in Voyager - although he contributed to an the problematic ambundence of Borg stories.

I'm really struggling with how I felt about the opening and I'm not sure it's because it was OTT (or at least unexpectedly) graphic or because my feelings on character...or both

Can’t say I really cared about the character. As for the opening. I’m not sure if is any different to what we saw in First Contact. It’s not as if a degree of body horror is that new to the franchise. 

I'm not sure why they had it at the start. They then spend the rest of the episode framing things like it’s a mystery why Seven has such a beef with Vajazzle. Then they have her deliver a bunch of exposition and show potted highlights of the same scene we've already seen. Surely would have been more effective to have the full scene at that point. I suspect Kurtzman or whoever looked at the episode went 'This is too slow, move the gore and violence to up front'.

• Upvote 3

The number of reports this thread has generated is crackers.

This reminds me a little of the latter season Walking Dead threads, where everyone would be tuning in and largely just repeating the same criticisms every week, it was more therapy than critique. :) I imagine that would have been alienating to actual fans of those seasons though, who either rarely or never spoke up.

So I'll just ask people to try not to labour the points they want to make, but similarly, we're just going round in circles criticising the things other people want to call the show out for, so just try to tune it out and better yet, raise the points you want to about the show and get the conversation moving in a direction you do want to engage in. Now.... make it so. :P

• Upvote 5

Eyepatch McAccent Face shark jumped.

Edit: also, why is Deanna Troi an evil Borg butcher?

• Upvote 5

On 20/02/2020 at 16:48, Hexx said:

The problem I can see is

Reveal hidden contents

They've set up this massive secret. The one that convinces the Romulan cult that all synthetics must die. (And IIRC can kill people with it's shocking nature if they handle it badly)

And now Oh's revealed it to her, she immediately does a 180 turn on the issue, and is willing to kill ex-lover.

There's no way the "secret" can live up to weight put on it

My fear is actually in the opposite direction. That they’re going to try and make this secret as mind blowing as possible, and due to Picard being canon we’ll all be stuck with it. Certainly something as bonkers as ‘Romulans made the Borg.’ 

As to this episode, it’s notable how much it was improved just by having no boring Borg cube scenes. The gore did feel pretty gauche, like someone elbowing me in the ribs and saying ‘not your grandfather’s Star Trek. Eh?’ There’s certainly a place for darker themes in Trek, as DS9 showed, but going straight to gore is a cop out. Also created an odd feeling of bathos to then follow it with wacky disguises. 

Otherwise, it was ok. The scenes between Seven and Picard gave some satisfaction with ‘will they discuss x?’ Brief, but worked better for that, I think. There was a nice moment near the end: 

Rios quietly leaving the scrambler so Seven could have her revenge, and both doing it without Picard’s knowledge.

The crew continue to just sort of wash over me, at this point. Dr Jurati seems to be transforming into an unsettling Tilly/Barclay hybrid; Raffi is bland despite being a drug addict; Rios is displaying hints of something beyond a pensive swagger, so wait and see there; Elnor is, I fear, going to be the straight man for comedy bits and occasionally an ass-kicker. 

So, still finding its feet, unsurprisingly. I hope the mature parts are handled more, well, maturely in the future, but as things are now picking up pace I feel a bit more optimistic for the remaining episodes. 

• Upvote 9

A big improvement on the 4th episode.  Some questionable choices but I can go along with it for the time being. 

Big disappointment that both Icheb and Maddox were recast. Not sure how I feel about killing off them both, Icheb was more emotional than Maddox but both lost something by not being portrayed by their original actors. 

Not really sure why you'd go full steam in with a Maddox orientated story if you have to recast. For better or worse, some of what works in STP is the nostalgia which is lessened if you're not going to bring back the actors who played the original characters. It would be like having the TNG episode Relics but recasting Scotty - sure the story would still be there but you'd lose a lot of the effect. 

Now Maddox and Icheb are not Scotty but both would have had more impact if played by their original actors.  

Edit - After complaining about the recasting, apparently Icheb's original actor has some, to put it mild, controversial views these days so maybe it was the best decision.  Although they also had the older Icheb from Shattered they could have cast too.... 

• Upvote 3

This is great. Star Trek: Magnificent Seven.

I hope 7 joins the crew a bit more permanently.

• Upvote 1

Jonathan Frakes directing the opening scene of episode 5:

Spoiler

"So you got squeamish at the eyeball bit at the start of First Contact, did you? Well watch THIS!" :twisted:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, McCoy said:

A big improvement on the 4th episode.  Some questionable choices but I can go along with it for the time being. 

Hide contents

Big disappointment that both Icheb and Maddox were recast. Not sure how I feel about killing off them both, Icheb was more emotional than Maddox but both lost something by not being portrayed by their original actors. 

Not really sure why you'd go full steam in with a Maddox orientated story if you have to recast. For better or worse, some of what works in STP is the nostalgia which is lessened if you're not going to bring back the actors who played the original characters. It would be like having the TNG episode Relics but recasting Scotty - sure the story would still be there but you'd lose a lot of the effect. 

Now Maddox and Icheb are not Scotty but both would have had more impact if played by their original actors.  

Edit - After complaining about the recasting, apparently Icheb's original actor has some, to put it mild, controversial views these days so maybe it was the best decision.  Although they also had the older Icheb from Shattered they could have cast too.... 

Spoiler

I didn't realise. The guy playing Icheb looks more like Icheb than any other Icheb does.

But yeah, bit disappointing that Maddox was recast. Not like he needed to do much. It wasn't even much of a stab to be like the original.

• Upvote 1

Glad I didn't stay up for it, and got an extra hours sleep instead. :coffee:

There were one or two snippets of good in there, such as the brief chat between Seven and Picard late on, but everysing else was een unmitigateeeng deesasterrrr. 

The fucking thing is, despite the flaws, I kinda like where they're going with it. 

Spoiler

New Tilly is gonna turn out to be a synth, isn't she? She's Maddox's first, his very own Lore. 

27 minutes ago, Thor said:

Reveal hidden contents

New Tilly is gonna turn out to be a synth, isn't she? She's Maddox's first, his very own Lore. 

Yea. I reckon you are bang on the money there. 

2 hours ago, Nick R said:

Jonathan Frakes directing the opening scene of episode 5:

Hide contents

"So you got squeamish at the eyeball bit at the start of First Contact, did you? Well watch THIS!" :twisted:

I think Frakes is basically telling everyone 'We don't need Quentin Tarantino for Star Trek to go hard core' :lol:

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! What would Captain Picard say? Anyway, now PC Master Race has made a gracious apology let us resume normal service.

"There are Four Lights!"?

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

There are five lights. :coffee:

Sorry...

He wanted Picard to say there were five lights.

8 hours ago, Hexx said:
  Hide contents

Honestly I forgot he was even in it until she mentioned it and prompted me to google it. I guess that arc disappeared into the depths of my memory.

Still, glad to hear I wasn't the only one who kept hearing 'vajazzle'. Or thought she looked like Troi.

Otherwise I didnt really have much issue with the episode. The tone was a bit wierd, sure, but when everyone has spent so much time hamming it up in holodecks I guess it shouldnt stand out that much in person.

59 minutes ago, Thor said:

I was playing David Warner's part. :)

Man, I love David Warner. I'd rather play his bit. 

18 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:

Sorry but I thought it was the worst episode yet. I still really want to like this show but dear God...

Hide contents

The gratuitous gore in the opening scene, the dumb eyepatch and french accent, the constant 'get the hell out of here' and 'damn right'. The EMH that doesn't have an override built in for someone saying 'deactivate EMH' while they commit murder. The murderer sliding further and further into Tilly mode up to that point. Raffi's....well, everything about Raffi. Space Legolas standing about awkwardly like a virgin in a strip club. The dreadful attempts at humour.

See, the rest I agree with but the EMH thing I can sort of forgive because they're clearly non-standard installations that probably have all sort of hacks and shortcuts built in. The proper ones probably wouldnt even let you base them off a real person, let alone multiples of yourself.   

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I was playing David Warner's part. :)

Sorry. Blame my spazzy brain.

Bloody Cardassians.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Hide contents

See, the rest I agree with but the EMH thing I can sort of forgive because they're clearly non-standard installations that probably have all sort of hacks and shortcuts built in. The proper ones probably wouldnt even let you base them off a real person, let alone multiples of yourself.   

Yeah that's a fair point. I stand by the rest, mind.