rllmuk
PC Master Race

Star Trek: Picard - 'Best Trek Ever' says everyone

8 hours ago, Death's Head said:

Did I see the words 'Gorn Egg' flash up at one point!?

Yes.

1 minute ago, Nifta said:

Is it a euphemism like 'dog egg'?

It's a reference to a TOS episode.

In my defence I only ever saw I, Borg once and thought it was crap. And in terms of Borg mythology there's been a tonne of better content since.

Also doesn't help that the character seemed to be played as a villain.

• Upvote 2

I don't understand how the Picard chateau is about as secure as a pub where anyone can seemingly just wander in. 

Good plan to get wolverine as the pilot though. 

Remember when Ron Moore tried to remake I, Borg in that one episode of Battlestar Galactica, without any of the context or character history that made it work in the first place. Hoooooo boy.

4 hours ago, Jg15 said:

Yep, this weeks was a better episode.

Reveal hidden contents

I am intrigued to know why Picard's former First Officer hates him so much? Is it because she lost her Starfeet post because of him resigning? If so that doesn't sound right, I thought people In the future didn't really care for jobs, or earn money, and could live as they pleased.

No, her living in a trailer doesn’t make any sense unless that’s the way she wanted it. There’s a reason Sisko called Earth ‘Eden.’ Everyone can have a proper home, everyone is provided for. So that makes Raffi a..uh...hipster outcast? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, drmick said:

Also doesn't help that the character seemed to be played as a villain.

Yeah he was creepy as. And that little quip about 'little miss know-it-all'. Don't get me wrong, I'm rather intrigued to see where this Borg plot goes but it did seem weird.

1 hour ago, Garibaldi said:

No, her living in a trailer doesn’t make any sense unless that’s the way she wanted it. There’s a reason Sisko called Earth ‘Eden.’ Everyone can have a proper home, everyone is provided for. So that makes Raffi a..uh...hipster outcast? 

Money is definitely a thing in Picard. The pilot guy even said he was "expensive", and Picard having his big old house was seen as quite the status symbol by Raffi.

Sure, the pilot would charge as he operates inside and outside Federation space. So money has uses for him. Inherited property I can go along with. What I mean is that Raffi still could’ve had a fairly swish apartment in one of the major cities, and free councilling for her bad years, so the whole ‘I’ve been discarded to live like trailer trash’ plotline doesn’t make sense. Unless she wanted the isolation, but it very much sounds like she didn’t. 

She also seemed pretty down on her existence in what appears to be pristine wilderness. Made no sense.

31 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Money is definitely a thing in Picard. The pilot guy even said he was "expensive", and Picard having his big old house was seen as quite the status symbol by Raffi.

Well money isn't needed in the Federation but they can earn Latinum for stuff to use with other species. It's what a lot of DS9 runs from and the Federation paid for.

I think they messed up and forgot about the lack of money but you could see it as her being disgraced and walked out of Starfleet with no one else wanting to go near her again in any profession because she's a spoiled reputation.

• Upvote 1

I took it as her clearly being very skilled in what she does, and no doubt invested years of her life building a career in it, but not being allowed to do it anymore. For certain types of people that would be a pretty big blow regardless of whether you need the money or not. That being the case I assume she's demotivated enough that she doesnt much care about living like trash, nor the fact that she has a nice view. People value different things, y'know?

Also that and the 'spoiled reputation' suggested above would explain why she has been sat on some shit-hot intel for years that goes right to the top. Literally cant do a thing with it.

• Upvote 2

Maybe she just needed to be relocated so she should grow space vape.  Which was probably illegal.

Maybe the space magic rules we learned from a TV show spin off of a TV show spin of an original TV show changed.

8 minutes ago, Bucky said:

Maybe the space magic rules we learned from a TV show spin off of a TV show spin of an original TV show changed.

Which would certainly be convenient when the writers can’t figure out how to show rock bottom in a post-capitalist society. 

Not all of Trek lore is sacrosanct, obviously, but Earth’s post wealth status is a bit too fundamental to the Trek universe to be hand-waved. 

• Upvote 2

They’ve probably forgotten. Although all of this could be explained away by saying that the Dominion War ruined the utopian economy of the federation and there have had to be changes in order to recover.

Nothing will be explained though.

14 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

One of the plot points about this episode got me wondering a bit.

Hide contents

All the mental reclaimed Romulans were assimilated right before that cube got all fucked up. And the only other Romulan to be assimilated as far as I can call was in an episode of Voyager, where they stumble upon a bunch of former drones living in a commune after...their cube got all fucked up.

Is the implication there's something 'special' about Romulans that make them particularly incompatible with the Borg, ala the way Icheb (one of the Borg kids Voyager rescued) was specifically engineered to destroy them. Oh gawd, we are getting the 'Romulans are Vulcan synths' thing aren't we?

Anyway, much better episode than last week but again, I really wish Ms Doyle was coming with Jean Luc on his trip instead of staying home looking after the chateau.

that’s a good shout. The Voyager episode - was it the one where Chakotay ended up on their planet? Unity from S3 if I recall?

I am enjoying that this show is not only loads better than Discovery, it's actively overwriting Discovery's mind-numbing implementations of the same character archetypes.

• Upvote 3

Seems to be a lot of Trek nerds complaining that the Federation is no longer a post-scarcity paradise because Raffi complained about Jean Luc living in a chateau while she lives in a humiliating hovel, and because the captain is charging them for flying wherever. Thing is, I'd argue there's nothing that actually goes against what we know of the Federation to be like here. They've eliminated need, homelessness, starvation, there's healthcare for anyone who needs it. Raffi's 'hovel' is just a prefab, sure but it's a really nice looking prefab in the a cool famous location and she's got all kinds of modern stuff inside. She's really angry because she's a junkie and a conspiracy nut so losing her job set her off the wagon and, most importantly, she lost her security clearance so she no longer gets the juicy info she'd become accustomed to. Yeah, Jean Luc lives in a chateau but that's because it's been in his family for generations and quite simply, not everyone can have a vineyard, or a snazzy apartment overlooking Central Park, or the Golden Gate Bridge (seems to be for Starfleet bods only) or whatever but they can have somewhere.

As for the money situation, the Federation doesn't use it internally, it's certainly not required for a comfortable standard of living within it but there's always been other cultures and parts of the Alpha & Beta quadrants that do. We saw it in the OG films (Bones trying to hire a ship to get to Genesis), we saw it in DS9.

The only part where it does seem a bit murky is with the conditions of the Mars workers in the second episode. But that was arguably an unprecedented situation, with ships needed urgently on a huge scale.

• Upvote 7

Dilithium cannot be synthesised right? Therefore it is scarce and is rationed somehow, potentially through some mechanism to transfer value. I.e. money, or screw it maybe barter? Jean Luc just gave the captain if the ship his entire 2400 vintage in return for hiring the ship.

5 hours ago, hub2 said:

Dilithium cannot be synthesised right? Therefore it is scarce and is rationed somehow, potentially through some mechanism to transfer value. I.e. money, or screw it maybe barter? Jean Luc just gave the captain if the ship his entire 2400 vintage in return for hiring the ship.

Its mined on Federation Planets. This was shown in at least one TOS episode I know of - the first mirror episode. So its not that rare.

10 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

They've eliminated need, homelessness, starvation, there's healthcare for anyone who needs it.

..but obvioulsy not the need to keep concealed disruptors under your desk in the living room, just incase murderous assasination squads come calling :P

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, hub2 said:

I don’t think they can synthesise it, but I’m pretty sure that the later ships (Next Gen era) could re-constitute it in the warp core. But you’re right, they have to obtain them in the first place.

3 hours ago, MpM said:

..but obvioulsy not the need to keep concealed disruptors under your desk in the living room, just incase murderous assasination squads come calling :P

They have to have those as apparently door locks were outlawed at some point in the future.

4 hours ago, MpM said:

To be fair that was the Romulan's handiwork, and it's completely in keeping with their society.

On 08/02/2020 at 21:02, b00dles said:

I don't understand how the Picard chateau is about as secure as a pub where anyone can seemingly just wander in. 

Good plan to get wolverine as the pilot though. 

5 hours ago, MpM said:

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

They have to have those as apparently door locks were outlawed at some point in the future.

These might be somewhat connected with transporters essentially making distance, privacy and door locks redundant.

I'm guessing a post scarcity world there's less motive for breaking and entering. And in real life let's fave it 90% of the population will never break and enter someone else's place even though a decent shoulder barge or some lock picking would get you into most places.

I'm also guessing fear of jail would put most thieves or gawkers off visiting the Picard chateau

But being a political figure his staff / friends also seem to have combat training (and it's inferred that they live there for political reasons as much as career reasons.) And they seem pretty prepared for the off chance some political assassins or nut jobs might want to have a shot at him.

5 hours ago, MpM said:

To be honest, that little aspect was perfectly believable for me. They are Tal Shiar after all, old habits die hard. 

• Upvote 1

On 09/02/2020 at 01:00, Vulgar Monkey said:

I took it as her clearly being very skilled in what she does, and no doubt invested years of her life building a career in it, but not being allowed to do it anymore. For certain types of people that would be a pretty big blow regardless of whether you need the money or not. That being the case I assume she's demotivated enough that she doesnt much care about living like trash, nor the fact that she has a nice view. People value different things, y'know?

Also that and the 'spoiled reputation' suggested above would explain why she has been sat on some shit-hot intel for years that goes right to the top. Literally cant do a thing with it.

I could actually identify with that a lot. Some people can end up becoming incredibly good in a niche field and then when they're let go they end up being fucked, especially if they're black balled. And as others have said she was able to get a prefab away from anyone else, I'm guessing that replicators could take care of most of her needs.

But her saltiness is incredibly understandable. She'd supported Picard's political agenda and then was left high and dry. The repercussions for him was to be exiled to his vineyard in France still adored and isolated only by his own hand. It appears she was isolated due to political and social factors and that can have a big impact on quality of life.