Ketchup

Your 4K Gaming TV Experiences & Thoughts

I know we have a dedicated TV thread in AtF but i thought some specific game chat might be nice.

Do you own a 4K TV? If so what one, what do you like/don't like about it? Would you recommend it? What do you think about 4K and HDR in general with the games you have? Is the GAME mode good on your TV?

I don't own a 4K TV yet, but i had a play on a friends LG and i was a bit underwhelmed. Firstly, the 4K aspect wasn't the leap i was expecting. Using the lady bird demo on the Xbox one X where you can turn 4K on and off, it didn't look much different to 1080p. Certainly not the leap from DVD to 1080p. The HDR on the other hand was a different story, you could really see the difference in colour and clarity.

However his LG led 4K HDR8+2 (yeah, more stupid acronyms like HD Ready) tv has an issue where by the GAME mode would show a darker picture than any of the normal modes. Turns out an update to LG TV's did something to the gamma curve and made everything darker. This meant games like Sea of Thieve's were not as vivid as they were in the standard mode. The issue with the standard mode is it introduced so much lag as to make the game unplayable. It's a real shame as everything had this slightly unsaturated look and some games had a slight grey haze covering the whole screen that made it look like the contrast was up too high and brightness too low, even though they weren't.

So my first experience was underwhelming to say the least, it certainly didn't look as good as the screens do in the shops with their perfect CG show reels.

Getting onto the games, as i mentioned Sea of Thieves certainly looked better than normal and you could see a real vibrancy in the sky compared to a normal TV. Gears of War surprisingly looked pretty dull. Whilst it's a fairly brown game, nothing popped like you might expect it to. Halo 5 however looked gorgeous, the colours in some of the levels gave them a brand new feel and really made the game come alive. I don't think im quite ready to jump into 4K gaming just yet, but maybe you have had a better experience with your TV and can help educate us as to why it's better or why it should be avoided.

• Upvote 1

I've got a Samsung KS7000 and it's a great gaming TV.  The game mode has insanely low latency and HDR in games is spectacular.  Like all these TVs, it can be a bit of a pain to configure it with so many modes and settings to get your head around but once you do, it's amazing.

I do agree though that 4K resolution is over-rated (unless, I guess, you're one of those folk who sits right up close to their TV). It looks better than 1080p but it's not a night-and-day difference for either games or movies. I think the PS4 Pro took the right approach, concentrating on 1440p/1800p/chequerboard rendering for a nice boost in image clarity without going all out for a 4K picture that a lot of people won't fully appreciate.

• Upvote 2

I use my TV as a PC monitor (probably more than anything else in fact) and, whilst I agree that 4K isn't a huge deal when compared to 1080 in games, the difference is definitely there. You just get used to it really quickly and don't necessarily miss it too much if it's not.

However, it really does make a big difference, to me anyway, in general PC use. It's like having everything on a big iPhone screen, like going to retina from, well, non-retina. Text is just so clear and it really reduces eye strain.

As for HDR, it varies from game to game and I'm yet to see anything amazing. I'm not sure it's implemented that well in some games. It was decent in F1 2017. I'm looking forward to seeing how it is in PES 2019. HDR in a football game could be really effective I think.

Also, going back to 4K, a lot of people say it's not a huge deal over 1080 but HDR is, the thing is, in my experience, you need both. HDR in 1080 isn't nearly as good as it is in 4K and 4K isn't as impressive without HDR.

HDR on a really good 4K tv is great. The additional resolution from a normal viewing distance ends up being really high quality anti-aliasing, so I’m not surprised it’s usually hard to see.

And if you’re only looking at HDR on PC games, I’m not very surprised you can’t tell the difference, Pockets. Try the sunsets in Sea Of Thieves (console), the rainstorms in forza 7 (console), the car paintwork in GT Sport (console).

HDR adds far more than just the jump to 4K does. I’d rather have 1080p with HDR than 4K without.

Case in point: WipEout: Omega Collection looks stunning on a standard PS4 in 1080p with HDR enabled. All of the lights pop out of the screen :wub:

Forza Horizon 3 and Uncharted 4 look great in HDR too. I was thoroughly unimpressed with Monster Hunter World though, and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, oddly. The quality does seem to vary.

• Upvote 3

I have a Sony XE9000 and when I first got it, the leap in resolution and colour quality from my 1080 Panasonic Plasma impressed me just as much as the increase from my previous CRT set to the plasma. 

Six months later, I'm completely used to it though, and don't get the wow feeling nearly so often. I guess that's just the way with technology. Same as when I upgraded from Xbox 360 to PS4, or Speccy to Amiga, or whatever. You quickly adjust to the "new normal".  

• Upvote 1

I've got an LG 65E7 OLED and it is gob-smackingly beautiful and consistently amazes me with the picture quality. Still find myself stopping and staring at times and that's 12 months down the line. 4k is great but it's the HDR that is a truly amazing thing. Best purchases I've made in years for gaming.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Len said:

I've got an LG 65E7 OLED and it is gob-smackingly beautiful and consistently amazes me with the picture quality. Still find myself stopping and staring at times and that's 12 months down the line. 4k is great but it's the HDR that is a truly amazing thing. Best purchases I've made in years for gaming.

B6, and it still stuns me on a regular basis: e.g. the World Cup UHD feeds, and games as the artists learn to make use of it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

I do agree though that 4K resolution is over-rated (unless, I guess, you're one of those folk who sits right up close to their TV). It looks better than 1080p but it's not a night-and-day difference for either games or movies. I think the PS4 Pro took the right approach, concentrating on 1440p/1800p/chequerboard rendering for a nice boost in image clarity without going all out for a 4K picture that a lot of people won't fully appreciate.

I sit at least 5m away from my tv (LG B7) and I can notice the difference. Coming from a larger 1080p set, it’s definitely a big jump in clarity. HDR is the icing on the cake as well.

What do you mean by the chequerboard effect being the right approach as well? I mean, it obviously looks good, but surely true 4K is better in every way.

• Upvote 1

For gaming, the difference between checkerboard 4k, and true 4k - is the square root of absolutely fuck all unless you have your face right up to the screen.

• Upvote 2

I'm picking up a 70 inch tv tomorrow. Going to have to borrow a van from work to get it home.

Picked out a nice spot on an empty wall in the family room to mount it on.

• Upvote 2

LG C7 owner. Games like God of War look spectacular on it, but even something like Dark Souls Remastered is a huge improvement.

I think the leap is bigger with movies than with games though. I bought an Oppo 4K player and discs like Fury Road and Planet Earth 2 are mind-blowing.

• Upvote 1

I've got a Samsung KV7000. It is an awesome TV for gaming and films. I had a 1080p Panasonic plasma before and that was ok, but obviously not a patch on the Samsung. I use the Game mode for gaming obviously and I have zero problems with it.

Certain 4K HDR films look amazing, but not all. As usual just because it says 4k on the box doesn't mean it is going to be that much better than the standard Blue Ray. I watched Black Panther last night and that looked amazing. I always check the review sites for how a film was rated for picture now and how they did the transfer/conversion process.

In regards to the consoles, again, it depends on the game. All the best ones for me make use of HDR, and that to me makes the biggest difference over purely the resolution bump. My PC can run most stuff in 4K 60fps, but not many games support HDR, and I always seem to have problems getting it to work properly on the ones that do. The biggest visual difference for me on PC is having that smooth 60fps game play with more options on resolution and graphics.

• Upvote 1

It’s likely that not all 4K TVs are created equal. Those LG screens like the B7 will likely get my money soon. 

Mylifeingaming did did a good video on this stuff, if you want to listen to nerds talk in depth for 45 minutes. 

• Upvote 3

I am lucky to own a. LG 55E7 and the picture is sublime!  Forza Horizon on Xbox one X and then Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 pro.  Both worth investment alone.  Then When you add on Netflix 4K when having these TVs its defo worth it.  

HDR just helps to make the colours pop and improves contrast. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Thor said:

For gaming, the difference between checkerboard 4k, and true 4k - is the square root of absolutely fuck all unless you have your face right up to the screen.

This could well be true (although probably not according to Digital Foundry), because we live in a time where everything looks amazing. It reminds me of when people were highlighting the resolution bump between PS4 and Xbox One. In everyday use it was practically imperceptible, but it was blown up to be this massive thing. Saying that, pushing things forward is always the way, so I don’t understand @Garwoofoo‘s point about chequerboard being the ‘right’ way to do things. It’s obviously a limitation due to underpowered hardware, and there’s no doubt Sony would have gone true 4K if they’d have waited a year or so.

I think my point is chequerboarding is a nice solution due to compromise, but true 4K is better.

I think that’s exactly it though, Sony didn’t have to wait another year or more, they got a 4K mid-gen refresh out the door well in advance of the competition with a solution that still looks spectacular. Obviously we’ll all go full 4K eventually but quite honestly I think the processing power could be better used in other ways. 

14 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Except true 4K is better.

Depends, innit. Two of the best games looking games of the generation are Horizon and God of War. Both of them blow every true 4K game I’ve played out of the water. 

Other things like specific implementations play a big role. Deus Ex is checkerboard 4K and looks awful. Assassins Creed Origins is not checkerboard and not native 4K on either One X or Pro but has one of the best AA implementations I’ve ever seen and looks incredibly clean. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve got a LG B7 65” (since Oct 2017) and very pleased with it. I played a fair amount of destiny 2 on my ps pro, but once I tried the demo of it on the Xbox One x, bought it immediately, it looks so crisp on the x (true 4K I believe)and now only really use the pro for exclusives and psvr. 

I guess it’s subjective as to the leap between 1080 to 4K and I guess the bigger the screen the more noticeable the improvement, but seeing as gaming is my main hobby, closely followed by watching sport on tv ( yes, I am a lazy so and so but I’m getting on a bit now) and with the availability of 4K ( X, pro, sky Q, bbc uhd etc) it was a no brainier to upgrade and although it was a large chunk of change, I’ve not regretted it for a second. Could not go back now.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

Depends, innit. Two of the best games looking games of the generation are Horizon and God of War. Both of them blow every true 4K game I’ve played out of the water. 

Other things like specific implementations play a big role. Deus Ex is checkerboard 4K and looks awful. Assassins Creed Origins is not checkerboard and not native 4K on either One X or Pro but has one of the best AA implementations I’ve ever seen and looks incredibly clean. 

If both those games were displayed at true 4K they'd be considered to look even better wouldn't they ?

Otherwise how will they be marketed when their 4K remasters inevitably appear next gen ?

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Otherwise how will they be marketed when their 4K remasters inevitably appear next gen ?

Checkerboard 8k.