Sign in to follow this  
neoELITE

League 1, 2, Non League Football 2018-19 Season

Sorry @Coltrane Pompey won't go up. No idea how we didn't win. If you look purely at the stats, you were head and shoulders above us in the game but you really weren't. A weird game where nobody wanted to score until you did and then a game broke out. 

1 hour ago, neoELITE said:

Sorry @Coltrane Pompey won't go up. No idea how we didn't win. If you look at the stats, you were head and shoulders in the game but you really weren't. A weird game where nobody wanted to score.

I don't think we will either. It's like we've forgotten how to play all of a sudden - or at least to the standard that resulted in us leading the table for half the season. The players have no confidence either and that's down to the manager to improve. At the moment he doesn't seem to have a clue though and tries to shut up shop at 1-0 and pray for a win.

You scored against the run of play to be fair. Bogle was OK but Burgess was a disaster. You should have been down to ten men today too. Kicking the ball away taken to another level but the ref bottled it.

It was a good game of football  - fast paced and both sides didn't want to lose.  The first half was cagey and full of mistakes from both sets of players.  We looked better in defence than you did but we cancelled each other out. Second half was much better. The wind didn't help but all in all, I'm happy with a fair point.

Decent crowd - just a shame our grandstand isn't open yet as I think that would have been a 20,000+ crowd if it was.

51746172_10218189766597933_4865583912073560064_n.jpg.01d9e8488864d2c448d2855cd15db814.jpg51558802_10218189766877940_4322597701083463680_n.jpg.5b31c1b0e784721404c9d5a717135215.jpg

• Upvote 1

So our new manager Bryan Hughes appears to be fond of football clichés and responds with answers entirely made up of them.Maybe that's what we or more specifically the players need? He's uncomplicated, but clearly enthusiastic and wants to do well.

He won his first game in charge against a Dagenham and Redbridge who actually were in title winning form over the last 15 games so a tougher test than the previous one against Maidenhead. A familiar looking team in defence and midfield, but with loan player Cole Stockton given a chance up front who was pretty awful. We hit the bar in the first half, but the first 60 minutes was not a great game of football. Then suddenly full back Jennings was getting forward a lot more, space was opening up for the players and Stuart Bevon (for Stockton) and Rutherford came on to exploit that. We were really great for that final 30, Beavon two classes above anyone else on the pitch, at the centre of everything, and scored the goal. We also created 4 brilliant opportunities to extend our lead. Unfortunately these all fell to central midfielder Akil Wright who can't shoot for shit. Bryan Hughes would have scored a hat trick in the same position.

Orient and Salford slipping up making it look as open as it's been all season for the  title.

Yeah Salford lost to bottom club Braintree :lol:

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

@neoELITE is Joe Mason going back to Plymouth? I think I saw something about that online. 

Always liked him as a player. 

I have no idea. We've offered him a contract and he'll need to agree by yesterday apparently. Our manager has been in the press discussing it which is weird as he never does that - I don't think he's once announced who his transfer targets are before they've signed so it is unusual.  He is local but I can't really imagine we'd be offering more than Charlton are and they've declared their interest. You never know. According to the rumour mill, he has property down here and his family are all based around Plymouth.  There's nothing been announced yet though. I would be surprised. Bolton are also interested but I'm not sure anyone would want to go there right now.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Butters said:

I presume Hughes got a good reception from the fans @Fatsam?

Not much of one actually. Might have been clapped and stuff around the dug out, but there was no name chanting as far as I could hear. There wasn't much to cheer about for quite a  while in the game.

To be honest, he's our 4th manager in less than 12 months. The mood around the Racecourse is that we weren't really wanting another change of manager and that we should have got it right before Christmas. There has also been quite a fair bit of criticism of the board from some which has taken the attention away from the actual appointment of Bryan Hughes. So the reaction to his arrival has been more "Okay here comes another one", followed by stuff like "I wonder what he's going to wear on the touch line? Oh he's got  a tracksuit on of course. I wish we had gone for a manger who wears jeans."

• Upvote 1

Sutton Utd 0: Barrow 1

Terrible performance by Sutton.  Barrow played long ball when building from the back but mixed things up on the counter, playing with pace and precision, and the writing was pretty much on the wall all game.  They somehow contrived to miss an open goal and find the post when scoring would be easier, not to mention having a good penalty shout which was deemed a dive before they finally tucked one away very late on.  We had fuck all decent attempts, despite fielding all the strikers (we have signed a young lad from Harrow and have Roarie Deacon - he of the FA cup wonder run 2 seasons ago -  back from Dundee although he looked way off the pace) by the end of the game.  The trouble is, that left no midfield.  No wit, no attempt to play the ball on the ground, simply dreadful.  And Barrow didn't bring their choir this time either.

Next up Barnet at home so we'll see if that challenge will bring about any change in approach or performance.

So we never come back to win games after going a goal down, hardly score any goals away from home, and Akil Wright can't shoot for shit. After a poor sounding first half and going 1-0 down to a (maybe soft) penalty, the first 15 minutes of the second half completely turned those assumptions on their head as we smashed in 3. The Bryan Hughes half time bunch of football clichés clearly dong the trick. Havant and Waterlooville got one back and Lainton, who's been ace all season and after Chris Maxwell has to be the best keeper we've had in over 10 years, saved us right at the very end.

An incredible set of results for us today too with Gateshead the only other side in the top 7 who won.  Terrible result for Salford again losing at home to Dover :lol:, but Leyton Orient also losing at home to Maidenhead was the biggest surprise. It's been a bit of a turbulent few weeks for Wrexham, but if we manage to beat Boreham Wood away on Tuesday we actually go top.

Bloody Hell. 

I'd settle for a draw.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Fatsam said:

So we never come back to win games after going a goal down, hardly score any goals away from home, and Akil Wright can't shoot for shit. After a poor sounding first half and going 1-0 down to a (maybe soft) penalty, the first 15 minutes of the second half completely turned those assumptions on their head as we smashed in 3. The Bryan Hughes half time bunch of football clichés clearly dong the trick. Havant and Waterlooville got one back and Lainton, who's been ace all season and after Chris Maxwell has to be the best keeper we've had in over 10 years, saved us right at the very end.

An incredible set of results for us today too with Gateshead the only other side in the top 7 who won.  Terrible result for Salford again losing at home to Dover :lol:, but Leyton Orient also losing at home to Maidenhead was the biggest surprise. It's been a bit of a turbulent few weeks for Wrexham, but if we manage to beat Boreham Wood away on Tuesday we actually go top.

Bloody Hell. 

I'd settle for a draw.

Excuse my ignorance but looking at the table top goes up automatically but then what happens to 2nd and 3rd? Are there two sets of play offs?

We earned a point away at Bradford yesterday - still looking good considering we were bottom on Xmas day. We're 15th. We play Rochdale at home next Saturday who are below us. I think we'll stay up. 

I'm not sure what happened to Portsmouth yesterday - being 0-3 up at Southend and then conspiring to draw 3-3.  No win in the last 5 games. Barnsley have won 6 from 6 and Sunderland have only won 1 in 5. 

40 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Excuse my ignorance but looking at the table top goes up automatically but then what happens to 2nd and 3rd? Are there two sets of play offs?

Yeah, 4th plays 7th and 5th plays 6th in one off games and the winners then play 2nd and 3rd in one off games to get to Wembley. Highest ranked side is at home in those games.

I'm no fan of playoffs to be honest. The best sides over 46 games should go up and that is it. However, at least this system does give the teams finishing 2nd and 3rd a big advantage. Our home record is excellent, so if we finish in either of those two places I fancy our chances to then progress to the final. Then we all close our eyes and hope for the best.

A playoff final at Wembley between Salford and FC Fylde would be embarrassing - probably the Vase teams would bring more support!  I still reckon Wrexham will have to finish above Leyton to be promoted automatically.

9 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

A playoff final at Wembley between Salford and FC Fylde would be embarrassing - probably the Vase teams would bring more support!  I still reckon Wrexham will have to finish above Leyton to be promoted automatically.

You do realise that Salford get higher gates than Sutton? 

By my calculations, I think we would have to finish above every other side in the league to be promoted automatically. 

:)