rllmuk
MDY

Aquaman

What’s the last line of that trailer?

Karl Drongo asks ‘What could be greater than a king?’ Her reply is drowned out (hah) by the music. Sounds like ‘A human’ or ‘A hero’. Is that it?

On 20 November 2018 at 07:10, SeanR said:

cod this be the best DC film of the modern era?

I get the pun, but must admit I agree with this. Looks amazing from that last trailer. None of the others have since MOS.

Word of mouth has been positive following the London premiere.. reportedly much more Wonder Woman quality as opposed to the Snyder films..

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/aquaman/aquaman-social-media-reactions-are-in-and-they-point-to-a-fun-weird-marvel-style-movie-a164935

Not sure what to make of this take though.. :blink:

(though following these threads it appears that the best way to annoy DC fans is to say it's a good, funny movie - like the Marvel ones!)

On 25/11/2018 at 12:12, sandman said:

I get the pun, but must admit I agree with this. Looks amazing from that last trailer. None of the others have since MOS.

It does look pretty good.

Finally, a DC hero with some energy and porpoise!

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, MDY said:

Word of mouth has been positive following the London premiere.. reportedly much more Wonder Woman quality as opposed to the Snyder films..

That's not a particularly high bar.

Wonder Woman started out Good, and then turned in to mediocrity and finally into shite.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

That's not a particularly high bar.

Wonder Woman started out Good, and then turned in to mediocrity and finally into shite.

Compared to the other 4 films it's a high bar..

There's been some editing to get a 12A in the UK. They went for advice first and were told it'd get 15 and they could get 12A by removing some "bloody detail", which they did. I don't know if this is actual cuts or something like CG blood removal.

BBFC say it's 143m 8s. A US distributor also had it listed as 143m previously, so if anything has been cut out, it'll be seconds.

The TV ads for this are full of glowing quotes from reviewers, except they’re people from Twitter and Instagram, rather than, say, people from Sight & Sound and the Observer. Being old and fucked, I have no idea whether these people are notable influencers like Tony Chips or xX_racist_outburst_Xx, or whether they’re just the only people they could find who liked it. Is this something that film companies do now?

Or they can stick a two star rating on the poster and use cunning compositional tricks to imply it's four.

A bit like how SFX magazine's covers always look like they say SEX.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/tom-hardy-s-legend-film-snuck-a-2-star-review-onto-its-poster-made-it-look-like-5-10492505.html

(The headline says five, but it was clearly meant to fit the pattern of four star ratings in that column.)

Just out from seeing this. Managed to get away from work sharp so caught an early showing in Leicester Square. Was about half full but wasn't expecting it to be packed as I had no idea there were showings today until I checked for something else this morning.

Anyway... it's a bit good. In fact, it's more than that. It's similar to Wonder Woman in that it detaches itself very nicely from the negative stigma of the DCEU but actually surpasses that in terms of spectacle. There are some truly stunning set pieces on show here and a couple of very well built up and played out moments. It does handle a couple of things a little too on the nose as far as character reveals and some of the lines feel slightly out of place given the context of the moment as it tries to inject unnecessary humour but overall I loved it.

Visually it is gorgeous, like absolutely beautiful in places and not just the settings but the way some of action scenes are filmed was really impressive. Momoa is first class, Defoe could have done the role in his sleep but always feels invested (a bit like his Norman Osbourne before he went crackers) and Wilson delivers a great contrast to Momoa's character. The standout for me though was Black Manta. Not so much the performance of Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (completely unrecognisable from his scene stealing Baywatch role) who was still good but the way the character was developed and then fully introduced really hit home and for me contributed to the standout set piece.

I have no idea what the future holds for the DCEU but with Aquaman and of course Wonder Woman (the unexpected leaders of the franchise it now seems) they have some elements to build on. They are NEVER going to replicate the miracle of movie making that is the MCU and what has been done all the way up to Infinity War but with Aquaman they have the kind of film that is going to make people appreciate and recognise Arthur Curry the way The First Avenger and Iron Man did for Steve and Tony!

More please!!

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, mansizerooster said:

This was pretty good, and was absolutely, hilariously unintentionally daft in a lot of places.

I had a great time with this too, although I'm inclined to believe the daftness was all pretty deliberate. Oh boy did it look lovely though!