Cyhwuhx

Dead Cells - Out now! - The Dark Souls of Rogue-lite/Rogue Legacy-like metroidvania-ishes

Most important bit currently: Switch version out on August 7, 2018! Should leave you with enough time to complete Hollow Knight.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I've got the physical version pre-ordered on the Switch. It looks right up my street and seems to have had great word of mouth. 

Its absolutely brilliant, a lot tighter than Hollow Knight and with great combat. It is however balls hard. My only small complaint is that it advocates rushing through as some decent equipment is time gated. Expect to die a lot, and I mean a lot.

2018 is quickly becoming the Year of Metroidvania. Chasm and Guac 2 still incoming I think?

This looks terrific even though it has its work cut out if it wants to best Hollow Knight for me. :)

Just in case anyone's getting the wrong end of the stick, the game's not really a metroidvania. Some of the levels are gated by metroid-like abilities which carry over between runs but all the areas are procedurally generated and you start from the beginning when you die.

It's structured similarly to Rogue Legacy, with you permanently unlocking abilities/equipment which can then be used on future runs, but it's much better than that game. The movement/combat is absolutely superb - I'll be buying again on Switch for sure.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Hitcher said:

Why are multi-platform games more expensive on the Switch?

Is this conversation really worth starting up in this thread?  

They just are.  Vote with your wallet, etc. 

2 minutes ago, flight said:

Just in case anyone's getting the wrong end of the stick, the game's not really a metroidvania. Some of the levels are gated by metroid-like abilities which carry over between runs but all the areas are procedurally generated and you start from the beginning when you die.

It's structured similarly to Rogue Legacy, with you permanently unlocking abilities/equipment which can then be used on future runs, but it's much better than that game. The movement/combat is absolutely superb - I'll be buying again on Switch for sure.

Hmm I'm probably out then. 

The best part of games like this for me is the exploration and world design.  Procedural stuff is not up to scratch in this regard (yet). 

11 minutes ago, flight said:

This stirs my loins.

I hope it's not too similar structurally to Rogue Legacy, because in the end that was less of a roguelite and more a plain old grind. Just keep replaying until you've unlocked enough perks and power ups to get through the level.

1 hour ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I hope it's not too similar structurally to Rogue Legacy, because in the end that was less of a roguelite and more a plain old grind. Just keep replaying until you've unlocked enough perks and power ups to get through the level.

Some of the unlocks are a little bit grindy (mainly the permanent upgrades like health flasks) but it's mostly about adding variety to potential builds. So if you pick up a blueprint in a level and unlock it at the collector, that item can now appear either at the start of a run or as drops while you explore. There's also levels and random modifiers (crit/bleed/poison etc.) for each item that you can reroll for awesome synergies.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, robdood said:

Is this conversation really worth starting up in this thread?  

They just are.  Vote with your wallet, etc. 

I do - it's £5.48 for Xbox from Argentina.

• Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

I do - it's £5.48 for Xbox from Argentina.

Then why not complain about the cost of the PS4 version?

Something similar to Rogue Legacy is right up my street. I spent far too long on that game. 

3 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Why are multi-platform games more expensive on the Switch?

Must be brexit-tax, there the same price over here.

I've played a fair few hours of this on PC early access, and it's very good. The movement and combat is spot-on - which is important for this type of game. Confidently blasting through the levels is very satisfying. It is one of those where you have to incrementally improve the item drops rather than purely relying on skilful play, but the progression is clear when you start to decimate bosses that you previously found impossible. I'm in two minds about that. I do prefer the start-from-scratch nature of purer Roguelikes, as these types tend to settle into that grind-to-win zone, but on the other hand I know I'll eventually actually beat this one :lol:

Just checked and it's the same UK price as Xbox (£15.99 discounted from £19.99) whereas Switch is £17.99 discounted from £22.49. I just guess Nintendo are taking a bigger cut than Sony/Microsoft.

34 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Just checked and it's the same UK price as Xbox (£15.99 discounted from £19.99) whereas Switch is £17.99 discounted from £22.49. I just guess Nintendo are taking a bigger cut than Sony/Microsoft.

Weird, in euros they all have the same price and the same discount. Nintendo must hate the UK. :ph34r:

19 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Cut is virtually the same between platforms. The price is 100% set by publishers, and has nothing to do with Nintendo.

I was put off by this when I saw that it was a roguelike, but with those scores I'm suddenly interested again. Does the FPS hold up on the Switch? From the videos it looks like there's a lot happening on screen all at once.

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I was put off by this when I saw that it was a roguelike, but with those scores I'm suddenly interested again. Does the FPS hold up on the Switch? From the videos it looks like there's a lot happening on screen all at once.

IGN are currently streaming this on that console via Twitch if you want to check out how the game performs.