Cyhwuhx

Dead Cells - Out now! - The Dark Souls of Rogue-lite/Rogue Legacy-like metroidvania-ishes

12 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

I have played a bit more now, but frankly I'm pretty bad at this game. I keep dying in the woods at the start or the toxic sewers, mainly due to impatience or making silly mistakes. I'm finding it really repetitive to go through these areas again and again. Should I just run through to try and progress or is it necessary to kill everything/find treasures to stand a chance each run? I swear the first area is going to send me mad with boredom and it's hardly a challenge to clear now, just a timesink. So far I haven't found any kind of shortcut to skip it - and I'm unsure if I should head directly to the toxic sewers, or scour the wood area for stuff I've missed (I did unlock the vine upgrade btw).

I was the same until I forced myself to use everything at my disposal. Don't get suckered into using your primary weapon and ignoring the rest. Get a few good traps and watch everything being shot to smithereens. I'd play through the forest area btw.

• Upvote 2

Just starting playing this. 

Seems to me the thing is...don't rush. A

s Cyhwuhx says....use traps. Let fire burn, or monsters bleed.

Also the freeze blast along with a decent melee is a great combo. It'll kill bats in no time and can freeze multiple enemies so allowing you traps or melee attack follow ups.

Also i don't know if its intentional, but theres some nice lilttle ironies. The game kind feels like Ghosts and Goblins, but much faster paced, yet the dagger, for a player like me...it terrible.

Finally killed the first proper boss. FELT AMAZING to finally be rid of the fucker. It dropped a weapon that causes over 3,000DPS! Unfortunately I then saw that any damage I take has risen by x4 while holding it, so it's real risk/reward.  I had to suspend my run in order to go back to work, but it finally feels like I'm making some proper progress, particularly if I can get that weapon as a random drop at the start of a game!

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

Finally killed the first proper boss. FELT AMAZING to finally be rid of the fucker. It dropped a weapon that causes over 3,000DPS! Unfortunately I then saw that any damage I take has risen by x4 while holding it, so it's real risk/reward.  I had to suspend my run in order to go back to work, but it finally feels like I'm making some proper progress, particularly if I can get that weapon as a random drop at the start of a game!

Yeah watch that. I always reforge those weapons to get rid of the damage returned to me. They still do huge damage but without you getting it as well.

• Upvote 1

I am really caning this game. It's taken me away from Okami and I'm properly hooked. I just sat down to have one go while waiting for a bath to run and ended up three hours later with a very cold bath. I finally figured out the Hokuto Bow and got an amazing run going with the fire grenade to do some serious ticking DPS. I unfortunately buggered it by pissing off some Elite in a tight spot and playing too risky when I should have just healed or run away. In any case, I see how it works now and I'll look forward to exploring further synergies very soon. 

It's a speed game. You get enough stuff just rushing through and hitting the timed doors as long as you make sure you hit them:

2 minutes in the second level.

8 minutes in the third level.

~12 minutes at the end of the first boss?

15 minutes level four?

I've found that not quite to be the case. If you absolutely rinse each area, I'm sure you end up with a better build and more gear and cells - though not necessarily more cash. I think those timings are pretty accurate, though, yep. 

2 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

I've found that not quite to be the case. If you absolutely rinse each area, I'm sure you end up with a better build and more gear and cells - though not necessarily more cash. I think those timings are pretty accurate, though, yep. 

Yeah I did loads of runs trying to gun it - you get much better cells / weapons / stats by being thourough.

8 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

I am really caning this game. It's taken me away from Okami and I'm properly hooked. I just sat down to have one go while waiting for a bath to run and ended up three hours later with a very cold bath. I finally figured out the Hokuto Bow and got an amazing run going with the fire grenade to do some serious ticking DPS. I unfortunately buggered it by pissing off some Elite in a tight spot and playing too risky when I should have just healed or run away. In any case, I see how it works now and I'll look forward to exploring further synergies very soon. 

I couldn't suss this the one time I had it.

Hyabusa Boots are still the best feeling weapon to me. I've had a couple of whips that were great too and the War Spear is also good, especially at mid range. I had the best results with the long range bow that had huge damage though.

Just now, DC said:

The description is poorly worded, to be honest. The DPS only applies to damage applied after marking with the Hokuto Bow. Anything which does tick damage, like the Fire Grenade or the Firebrands (damn, that would be good) does additional however much DPS the Hokuto Bow says. If your grenade does 50 DPS for five seconds, for example, and your Hokuto does 150, you're going to be melting most enemies. If you get a modifier such as 'causes enemies to burn' on the Hokuto, you're also laughing because you get (for example) 25 DMG from the bow, plus 15 DPS burn PLUS the Hokuto bonus DPS of 150. Can't believe I screwed that run... :p

32 minutes ago, joemul said:

The Hunters Grenade appears to be shite.

No this is one of the best things early on. Guaranteed blueprint if you are successful.

19 minutes ago, flight said:

Finally beat the HOTK earlier having never done it on my PC save. Feels good man. 8-)

I hate him.

Yeah, he's an absolute bastard. I had a nice build (yellow infantry bow, yellow ice bow and a couple of turrets with good synergy) and even then the third phase was pretty hairy.

You can do it.

4 hours ago, DC said:

Hyabusa Boots are still the best feeling weapon to me. I've had a couple of whips that were great too and the War Spear is also good, especially at mid range. I had the best results with the long range bow that had huge damage though.

The Valmont Whip has a great feel to it. Small damage up close, but catch the enemy with the tip and get a big critical. Very satisfying every time you judge the distance just right.

3 hours ago, DC said:

No this is one of the best things early on. Guaranteed blueprint if you are successful.

Whats the trick? Do you just lob it about every now and then and hope something happens?

8 hours ago, joemul said:

Whats the trick? Do you just lob it about every now and then and hope something happens?

You throw it and if there is a blueprint to be exacted from that enemy, it becomes an elite something. You then collect the item the Grenade has turned into and take 3/4 of the health, before using said item to finish it off to get the blueprint.

If that type of enemy has no new blueprints, you get told and can collect the grenade to try again.

• Upvote 2

Beat The Concierge on my first go, skill had nothing to do with it, I was very lucky with weapon drops.Fought him again after unlocking the daily challenge, got absolutely stomped.

Really enjoying this game, only had it a day and have gone from about a dozen runs in an hours playthrough to just one. Feels great to play, very fluid, and the music is great too. Both necessary ingredients in a game with this much repetition.

I picked this up a few days ago, after reading all the praise here, and elsewhere. I wasn't sure it would be my thing - I've got a few similar type games, and some I loved (Rogue Legacy for example), and some I really didn't get on with (Cave Blazers springs to mind).

But this I think is really special. Everything has been honed to feel just right - the movement's a joy, the combat's great, and there are so many nice little touches that make everything feel solid. I was awful at first - rushing in swinging and not paying attention to enemy tells etc. but now that I've calmed down a bit I'm making good progress. I did a few runs where I tried to rely on my shield as much as possible, and that helped enormously.

It's the small touches of savagery that make it for me. Bursting enemies with floor drops, stunning them by bursting through doors before dicing them. And the Spartan Boots are so much fun (wouldn't want them after the first couple of levels I think, but until then they're a riot). I want them to turn up every game as my random melee weapon. :)

I got to the last boss a few times but couldn't do it and I've had enough now. It would have been nice to finish it, but going through the levels gets tedious after a while. It's also a shame that so many weapons are unavailable at the start - by the time I got to some of the better ones it was already wearing thin.

Really enjoyed it for about a week though.

On 16/08/2018 at 00:38, grounded_dreams said:

If you want to know the routes and what is needed to reach certain areas, here is a useful map:

*Don't click the link if you don't want areas/routes to be spoilt for you*

Hide contents

Map

Put the link in a spoiler tag, as the image appears if you hover over it and don't want people doing by accident who want to play the game blind to routes etc

Damn. I just got to the forgotten sepulcher. Had a ridiculous run. It was going so well but then it got crazy at the end with no lamp to save me .

Had a pretty good build too. Love that frost blast.

IMG-20180820-WA0024.jpeg

I bought this on Friday for my Switch with the intention of playing that night because I'd just finished Symphony of the Night on Vita. Well it turns out have I fuck finished, that was the shit ending and now the castle is upside down. I also have Salt and Sanctuary being slowly chipped away at and now I'm a little reluctant to start another stat deep 2D game. I'm desperate to play this but got to finish one of those two off before I do.

I fucking did it guys. Basically full Survival build with a lucky drop on my long range bow.

I am sure I will destroy him on the higher difficulties.

• Upvote 5

I really want the wall jump/climb upgrade. Am I right in thinking that I need to basically kill

Spoiler

Conjunctivitus (or whatever he was called)

?

Because I got to that boss last night and I don't have a clue how to kill him.

Any tips here on getting that upgrade and killing that boss (if I need to) are greatly appreciated.

PS: I can't parry for fuck so shields are out!

16 hours ago, DC said:

I fucking did it guys. Basically full Survival build with a lucky drop on my long range bow.

I am sure I will destroy him on the higher difficulties.

Recommendations for a decent build? 

I found frost blast, wolf trap and then some form of a turret to be quite effective but found the turret will unfreeze enemies pretty fast.