jerellis1

Star Wars Episode IX (December 2019)

6 hours ago, JPL said:

Hang on, so there’s a Rian Johnson trilogy, a GoT guys trilogy and a new mainline trilogy, yet they’re saying there’s going to be less films? Something doesn’t add up.

Not to mention the various other Yoda, Obi Wan and Boba Fett spin off movies they’ve had in pre-production at various points, although they might have all been killed now, after Solo’s under-performance. 

Yep, we’re all talking about Disney’s slate pre-Solo flopping. Prior to that these were the upcoming releases as I understand:

Episode IX directed by J.J. Abrams

Boba Fett directed by James Mangold (think this was announced right before Solo came out)

Obi-Wan Kenobi directed by Stephen Daldry (unsure if this was ever formally announced)

Untitled trilogy of films by Rian Jonson

Untitked trilogy of films by Game of Thrones showrunners

TV series from Jon Favreau

And Solo itself ended with a load of sequel bait.

• Upvote 1

The primary motivation for this is to have a gentle excuse to bin-off the Rian Johnson films.

Ostensibly yes, the pace is too fast, but what's keeping Kennedy up at night is sinking the better part of a billion dollars of production money into three films by someone so divisive. It's the Colin Trevarrow/Jurassic World scenario all over again.

I expect the Johnson trilogy to be dropped under this excuse, and he'll get production and script approval duties as a sop, same as Trevorrow. 

That's some fanboy wish fulfilment projection of what Bob Iger said :lol:. He admits it's his fault they crapped out a film a year and now aren't planning to do that going forward, just because he only mentioned the GoT people by name, he also explicitly used the phrase "sagas" and "creative entities" so to me, this is just a very sensible slowing down of the release schedule to allow these people the time necessary to do good work. James Cameron last released a film in 2009, and now, rather unfortunately, Disney are going to be profiting from his new releases, they can't not win when they own most of the top teams in the league :P

We have creative entities, including [Game of Thrones creators David] Benioff and [D.B.] Weiss, who are developing sagas of their own, which we haven't been specific about. And we are just at the point where we're going to start making decisions about what comes next after J.J.'s. But I think we're going to be a little bit more careful about volume and timing. And the buck stops here on that.

Kathleen Kennedy fangirls over Rian Johnson in practically every interview I've seen her give, she ain't going to let go of him if she can help it, he has friends in high places.

I think what they mean that is after the recent failed experiment of 6 months between Star Wars films, they're going to revert back to one film per year, filling the one month that Disney doesn't have a release that is either a live action remake or from Marvel Studios, Pixar, Disney Animation or one of the eight Artemis Fowl books (likely to be at least 12 films, with the last two being stretched out to 2 films each).

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/feature/a824808/disney-movie-schedule-2017-2018-2019-star-wars-marvel-live-action-remake/

6 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

I think what they mean that is after the recent failed experiment of 6 months between Star Wars films, they're going to revert back to one film per year, filling the one month that Disney doesn't have a release that is either a live action remake or from Marvel Studios, Pixar, Disney Animation or one of the eight Artemis Fowl books (likely to be at least 12 films, with the last two being stretched out to 2 films each).

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/feature/a824808/disney-movie-schedule-2017-2018-2019-star-wars-marvel-live-action-remake/

I don't think they were ever going to go for a Star wars film every six months, it's not like they had another one scheduled for Christmas this year. The only reason why there was only a six month gap between TLJ and Solo was that they always intended for the new Star Wars films to come out in summer, like the originals and the prequels did, but JJ Abrams insisted on having a bit more time to do TFA, so they pushed it back to December 2015. They decided to shift the release back to May with Solo, but are possibly regretting that now.

To be honest, December feels like a more natural fit for the new ones anyway - there are fewer big films around then, and after stuff like LOTR, Avatar, and the Hobbit, it almost feels like tradition to go and see a blockbuster SF/Fantasy film with the family at Christmas. I reckon Solo would have done a lot better if they'd released it December 2018, if only to give people a bit of a break from Star Wars.

• Upvote 8

I really do think Solo would have done far better if it was saved until December. Christmas has become ‘Star Wars on the IMAX’ time for us, with a bunch of us going to see the new film on opening night.

We didn’t bother with Solo. Just didn’t feel right in summer, and only six months since the last one.

• Upvote 1

My money would be on the TV series going, and one of the trilogies. My money wouldn’t necessarily be on the Johnson trilogy going though. They want someone who can take the franchise onwards for 20 years and he’s the only director they have who has done that.* Everyone else is firmly in the “riff on classic Star Wars so we can get this out in 24 months” side which they’re explicitly trying to get away from. Their only real model for this is Marvel and they’ve already passed the stage where “competent, consistent and familiar” has started to wear out. Can’t imagine they’d ignore that.

*Aside from Abrams I’m sure all of their other talent could do those sorts of movies given the right brief, but he’s the only one who has actually demonstrated that he can rejig the franchise in to something that people want to talk about.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

he’s the only director they have who has done that.* 

*Aside from Abrams I’m sure all of their other talent could do those sorts of movies given the right brief, but he’s the only one who has actually demonstrated that he can rejig the franchise in to something that people want to talk about.

What? I think creating something that keeps going for 20 years means creating something well-liked, like Marvel has done. I reckon EPIX is probably going to chart 20-25% lower due to the Last Jedi backlash, and given that chartered significantly lower than Force Awakens I'm not sure haemorrhaging a big chunk of your audience every time is sustainable or works out as "20 years!"

• Upvote 1

At this point, they should definitely pull the best characters and stories from the EU and put their own twist on them, like they’ve done with the Marvel universe. It would give casuals and non-fans something new, and would hopefully shut the hardcore up too.

And Ep IX will take more than TLJ, but less than TFA - like every third film in the series (iirc?).

Let me explain my reasoning here as it might be a bit clearer. If it was just about Jedi not being received as a four quadrant universally beloved vanilla franchise movie, I have absolutely no doubt that they’d axe the Johnson trilogy. But two things have happened:

Safe bet franchise screenwriter Colin Trevorrow delivered a multi million dollar version of a 1950s nonsense movie as the script for Jurassic World 2 after he was ditched as the Star Wars franchise’s safe future. He is not only gone, he is never coming back to franchise filmmaking.

A Ron Howard directed Han Solo backstory movie, surely the most conservative bet in Hollywood, landed to widespread disinterest.

So the safe hands option has a lot stacked against it, in terms of how well those movies do and the fact that they have no safe hands established in the studio aside from Abrams.

They know they can’t do a Thor 2 or an Iron Man 2 or another Han Solo and expect this to keep going. Johnson is a risk but he’s there and he’s landed one of these before.

If Lord and Miller had finished out Solo I really think they’d be talking about a trilogy for them. They’re a good balance of bankable and risk taking.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Paulando said:

At this point, they should definitely pull the best characters and stories from the EU and put their own twist on them, like they’ve done with the Marvel universe. It would give casuals and non-fans something new, and would hopefully shut the hardcore up too.

And Ep IX will take more than TLJ, but less than TFA - like every third film in the series (iirc?).

I think he means that even after that, it’ll do less than usual. Which it probably will. 

36 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Let me explain my reasoning here as it might be a bit clearer. If it was just about Jedi not being received as a four quadrant universally beloved vanilla franchise movie, I have absolutely no doubt that they’d axe the Johnson trilogy. But two things have happened:

Safe bet franchise screenwriter Colin Trevorrow delivered a multi million dollar version of a 1950s nonsense movie as the script for Jurassic World 2 after he was ditched as the Star Wars franchise’s safe future. He is not only gone, he is never coming back to franchise filmmaking.

A Ron Howard directed Han Solo backstory movie, surely the most conservative bet in Hollywood, landed to widespread disinterest.

So the safe hands option has a lot stacked against it, in terms of how well those movies do and the fact that they have no safe hands established in the studio aside from Abrams.

They know they can’t do a Thor 2 or an Iron Man 2 or another Han Solo and expect this to keep going. Johnson is a risk but he’s there and he’s landed one of these before.

If Lord and Miller had finished out Solo I really think they’d be talking about a trilogy for them. They’re a good balance of bankable and risk taking.

Jurassic World 2 did $1.3 billion box office, not hugely down on the first and Trevorrow is directing the third one? 

My mistake, for some reason I thought they’d changed screenwriters and I hadn’t seen who was directing. Regardless, on current form it’s going to be a complete shitshow. I really enjoyed Fallen Kingdom but the Star Wars brand image includes some sort of storytelling credibility.

He’s probably not coming back to Star Wars.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

My mistake, for some reason I thought they’d changed screenwriters and I hadn’t seen who was directing. Regardless, on current form it’s going to be a complete shitshow. I really enjoyed Fallen Kingdom but the Star Wars brand image includes some sort of storytelling credibility.

He’s probably not coming back to Star Wars.

Somebody really needs to let Disney know.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 26/08/2018 at 19:12, Uncle Mike said:

Leia's technically still alive in the film, right? And Kylo is half-Skywalker.

The Skywalker family are fucked up but even Luke and Leia wouldn't contemplate making a full Skywalker, surely.

• Upvote 2

On 23/09/2018 at 12:10, RubberJohnny said:

What? I think creating something that keeps going for 20 years means creating something well-liked, like Marvel has done. I reckon EPIX is probably going to chart 20-25% lower due to the Last Jedi backlash, and given that chartered significantly lower than Force Awakens I'm not sure haemorrhaging a big chunk of your audience every time is sustainable or works out as "20 years!"

The films are so far tracking about the way they always do historically in terms of domestic appeal. First one smashes it, 2nd one has a huge drop off, the 3rd has a recovery but can't beat the first one. This theory of the backlash will only hold true if crowd pleaser Abrams can't deliver his usual dependable homage. I've certainly seen the meme try to take hold that if true Star Wars fans want to save the series, they need to boycott Ep IX, we'll see how many of these disgruntled 'fans' actually exist next year.

Ep1 - $431 Million

Ep2 - $302 Million

Ep3 - $380 Million

Ep4 - $307 Million

Ep5 - $209 Million

Ep6 - $252 Million

Ep7 - $936 Million

Ep8 - $620 Million

Ep9 - $470-$500 Million if that prediction holds true.

Interestingly, in terms of international appeal, this doesn't actually hold true, The Revenge of the Jedi did much worse than that marmite Empire film globally :P Amazing it didn't kill off the series back in the day :lol:

On 23/09/2018 at 14:47, Paulando said:

Someone should have let George Lucas know, tbf.

This is what's amused me about all of the criticism aimed at The Last Jedi Be Rian Johnson and a vocal portion of the internet calling for Lucas to return, it's like the prequel trilogy never happened and that Lucas had fuck all help in making the original trilogy what it is.

On 23/09/2018 at 00:17, Paulando said:

I do mind you saying, as a matter of fact.

Eh, sorry. I just see don't why time of year makes a difference when you're sat in a dark air conditioned cinema. Could be any time of year outside. I don't see the relevance or how it impacts the enjoyment of a film.

1 hour ago, Sponge said:

Eh, sorry. I just see don't why time of year makes a difference when you're sat in a dark air conditioned cinema. Could be any time of year outside. I don't see the relevance or how it impacts the enjoyment of a film.

We’ve been getting together at Christmas in Manchester, making a thing of it. Booking the IMAX tickets in advance, getting some food, wandering around the markets in the cold, then seeing Star Wars.

We were all lukewarm about a Solo film to be fair, but had it come out at Christmas we’d have been gearing up to go and see it soon. As it was, nobody really fancied making the effort. A feeling felt by a lot of cinemagoers, it seems. It will feel weird without a Star Wars film this winter.

• Upvote 1