Sign in to follow this  
Flub

Ys VIII - Lacrimosa of Dana

Did anyone else start playing this on the Switch the other day (Or indeed has played it on other platforms). I'm really enjoying myself. Combat is fast and fun. The plot can be a little talky and slow but I like the castaways idea and building up the base slowly as you move through the plot is satisfying. Currently I'm level 30.

• Upvote 1

Jesus. I've had it since last Monday and I'm Level 16. :lol:

It's great, although a little on the easy side. It gives me strong Skies of Arcadia vibes with the characters and the whole base building side of things. It should keep me quiet until Octopath Traveler. 

Started playing it yesterday and I'm really enjoying it. It's extremely jolly and quite naff in a way, it feels 'off brand' compared to Xenoblade Chronicles 2, the character models and clothes and stuff are stultifyingly generic JRPG weeb fodder kind of thing but not too fan servicey so far. If anything, it seems on the gayer side of things, or designed to appeal to teenage girls. I really like it, actually. It's a happy place kinda game which is just what I need to counterbalance my berserk meltdowns playing Ikaruga.

It basically feels, sounds and looks like a PS2 game. And again, I'm all for that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

6 minutes ago, NEG said:

Why is this 50 bucks digital? (Switch)

It's the same price on PSN. It's the price of the game. 

• Upvote 1

Ah, shame. When sales roll around for me, then.

Steam has spoilt me over the years when it comes to older Ys games costing sod all.

Dying to play it as I absolutely love the Ys series but waiting for NISA to unfuck the PC version before buying.  Real shame that they got it instead of XSeed.

How does it compare to others in the series?

I've played Memories of Celcetta and Ys Seven on the Vita and quite enjoyed them. But they were a little too similar and I don't think I've got another one in me unless it changes things up a fair bit.

1 hour ago, El Spatula said:

It's unfucked now. I've been playing it with no problems at all. It was totally fucked at launch though! Its also amazing.

Yeah I noticed it's been getting more and more patches and getting gradually better.  Part of me is tempted to get it second hand for the PS4 as quite frankly NISAs bullshit in general has put me right off.  I dread to think if they get their hands on any other Falcom games, especially the more text heavy ones.

This is decent, it's very simple but well laid out. The island setting is becoming very samey though, I've only rescued about 8 castaways so far so hopefully it will change it up a bit.

8 hours ago, mdn2 said:

really hate the noises Adol makes as he clubs across vines. 

Or the jump, which sounds like a jazz brush on a tightly tuned snare. 

I'm not intending to criticise but this genuinely feels ten or fifteen years old, and that's a massive part of the charm. It's got that wonderful old gamey suggestive quality. There's actually very little genuine exploration, it's all pretty linear but it FEELS massive and free. Ultimately, I think that's a more important quality. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, stefcha said:

These sorts of threads aren't the same without @Mr.Jeff's infectious enthusiasm for anything Ys :(

I had noticed that there seemed to be a lot less Ys celebrating going on these days. What ever happened to Mr.Jeff?

I just got access to Ricotta and decided to try her out as an alternative to the big fella.

Kratos as a 10 year old girl is the best way to describe her. Very fun to play.

Finished this tonight with the True ending. Genuinely one of the best games I've played for years. Loved it immensely from start to finish. Easily 9/10 from me and nothing has came close this year.

Bring on Steam Celceta can't wait. 

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

How long is it? I'm about 20 hours in now, I think (level 33) and while I'm really enjoying it, Octopath Traveller is sat waiting. I don't want to start that until I've finished this. 

Took me about 40 hours too, although I didn't do everything, and I turned it down from hard to easy for some endgame encounters to get it over with faster. I thought it outstayed its welcome a little. Enjoyable overall but unremarkable - a satisfyingly wholesome bread and butter action RPG which is exactly what I was expecting.

• Upvote 1

I'm getting to the 40 hour mark with this now and I think I'm getting close to the end. I agree with @ann coulter in that I'm starting to want it done now. It's good, with some nice ideas, but the whole thing feels so...slight. Most of the survivors seem perfectly happy doing their thing on the island and while the Dana stuff is interesting, Dana herself is an incredibly dull character. 

My OCD is making me mop up everything before I finish, though. So we'll see how long I have left before the credits roll. 

I've found the last few Ys games have outstayed their welcome. I really like the series but the short length of the older games really helped because generally they weren't they strong. 

On 22/07/2018 at 17:59, nakamura said:

I've found the last few Ys games have outstayed their welcome. I really like the series but the short length of the older games really helped because generally they weren't they strong. 

I though seven was fine. 25 hours which is perfect RPG length for me.

• Upvote 1