Plissken

Football Thread 2018/19

The Glazers wouldn't replace Woodward in a million years. He helped them finance their (massively indebted) takeover, and built up their empire of regional tractor / snack food / etc endorsements. Their trust in him seems to be total. It seems there is a potentially a role for a sporting director who reports to Woodward though, which would distance him from footballing decisions. Which I think would be for the best, he should stick to what he's good at. Though it would be nice to see such a role go to someone with a deep connection to the club, and that is a model that seems to work at other clubs, a lot of ex-United players have pretty much ruled themselves out of the running. Anyone who has spoken ill of the Glazers or their man Ed will probably be seen as a liability. They would come into the role with the baggage of all the comments they've made.

13 hours ago, wev said:

Why is Mourhemo wearing a Rival Schools Scholars t-shirt in the latest Squires?

You've just written why, because he's Emourinho and a rival of Scholes. Hence Rival Scholes, a play on Rival Schools (the band) that the character might wear a t-shirt of. To be honest it's the Playstation game that always comes to mind first, even though I never played it. 

17 hours ago, Liamness said:

The Glazers wouldn't replace Woodward in a million years. He helped them finance their (massively indebted) takeover, and built up their empire of regional tractor / snack food / etc endorsements. Their trust in him seems to be total. It seems there is a potentially a role for a sporting director who reports to Woodward though, which would distance him from footballing decisions. Which I think would be for the best, he should stick to what he's good at. Though it would be nice to see such a role go to someone with a deep connection to the club, and that is a model that seems to work at other clubs, a lot of ex-United players have pretty much ruled themselves out of the running. Anyone who has spoken ill of the Glazers or their man Ed will probably be seen as a liability. They would come into the role with the baggage of all the comments they've made.

Would also add that the role currently filled by Woodward is different in Bayern, Juventus etc.  In those clubs an ex-player is usually appointed because the idea is that the football results come first.  The assumption is that by winning then the money comes.  Woodward is there purely to bring in money, primarily via sponsorships and commercial partnerships and he is really bloody good at it.  He's not a Football Man but he's not asked to be.

The sporting director idea sounds a good one, but such a person at Old Trafford would always be subservient to the Woodward role.  Given a choice between domestic trophies and £50m, Bayern and Juve will choose the trophies and the Glazers the money.

• Upvote 2

I don't think it's that somehow Juventus and Bayern aren't primarily interested in money, or that their football people don't report to the business people - it's that they see success on the pitch as an integral part of success off it. Juve particularly, who are very pointedly trying to become one of clubs with commercial operation that dwarfs the sporting side of things, but that doesn't mean they have suddenly decided that playing attractive, effective football is optional. Quite the opposite.

Dean Smith in as new Villa manager, John Terry in as assistant. I'm pretty confident that could work, Terry knows a lot of the squad and they all seemed to like him last year while Smith seems to be a good coach who plays nice football. Could be the start of something good and it's the approach I'd have taken over appointing from the usual merry-go-round or someone with zero experience. 

• Upvote 1

What's wrong with Purslow? Presumably you support Liverpool where he appears to be a convenient scapegoat for the failing of others. He fell out with Rafa and appointed Hodgson iirc, but wasn't he working under Hicks & Gillett who'd left the club without a pot to piss in? He facilitated the sale of the club to Fenway before doing a fairly decent job at Chelsea. I'm quite happy with the appointment if truth be told. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

He fell out with Rafa and appointed Hodgson iirc

You want more elaboration than that? In all seriousness he was at the club during the most turbulent times in its recent history.

He has a good track record of exploiting a club's commercial potential, it'll be interesting to see if he can get the right people involved in the football areas of club.

I'll take any info about him tbh, I know he was at Liverpool when they were flirting with administration and I chuckled to myself when listening to the Football Weekly podcast and Barry Glendenning was tipping Rafa for the Villa job even though he had a very public falling out with Purslow. 

I think Dean Smith is the best appointment Villa could have made (realistically).  Brentford have been one of the best footballing sides to watch, and it seems like players don't fare as well after they leave - look at the Fake Jota at Blues for example.

My only concern for Smith is that you can't polish a turd - I'm not sure if that Villa squad are capable of playing the way he likes with the goalkeeping issues and defence that seems to be all over the place!  However, if he plays Grealish in the correct position and can get the best out of players like John McGinn etc etc then I think Villa will start to climb the table and it should appease the fans who despaired at the style of football Bruce played.

Good luck to him.

• Upvote 3

Weirdly he legally has to, the ref is considered a moveable goalpost in the rules. If something comes off him, it's the same as if it came off the post.

Although I grant you, most goalposts don't have a quality right foot like that.

• Upvote 1

Firstly it was a left-foot shot, and secondly it appears from the (astonishingly annoying) commentary that the ref was a she, not a he.

None of this helps with the central question of "what the fuck?"

I only watched it in a little window, so missed those minor details.

But yeah, if there's 1 thing years of "You are the ref" taught me is that not only is anything that comes off the ref that same as if it never touched him, the goal will be awarded by whoever "passed" it to them in that video.

Scotland have lost 2 - 1 to Isreal. Apparently Scotland hit a new low and only the goalie McGregor deserves any plaudits the rest were dire. 

It's the most one-sided 2-1 I've ever seen. Another post-mortem is in the offing. That was inept, public park stuff, and that's me being kind. 

BBC quotes.

the Tartan Army, who are used to disappointment, but what they witnessed this evening was beyond the pale.

Scotland are fast becoming a joke. How can the SFA sleep easy after watching this? 

Jeezo.

23 hours ago, Boothjan said:

I think Dean Smith is the best appointment Villa could have made (realistically).  Brentford have been one of the best footballing sides to watch, and it seems like players don't fare as well after they leave - look at the Fake Jota at Blues for example.

My only concern for Smith is that you can't polish a turd - I'm not sure if that Villa squad are capable of playing the way he likes with the goalkeeping issues and defence that seems to be all over the place!  However, if he plays Grealish in the correct position and can get the best out of players like John McGinn etc etc then I think Villa will start to climb the table and it should appease the fans who despaired at the style of football Bruce played.

Good luck to him.

Is he actually a Villa fan? Dunno how accurate this tweet is

probably just a wind up

20B7DDC9-837F-419B-ADCC-905A0335059F.png

I saw him interviewed a few weeks back and he said he was a Villa fan - his dad was a steward and he used to go to games as a kid.

So no idea about the tweet above!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:
Credit to him, that's a nice finish. He went on to score a second, but it's a lot simpler.

Yeah, very composed, although being able to get ahead of his man so easily must help! I wonder if he's spent any time in the gym working on his upper body strength? I imagine that and the stamina requirements are the main obstacles he's having to overcome.

He says himself that his touch is way off the pace compared to his team mates, he's just not technically at a level where he can compete but he thinks he's improving.

I doubt he'll have any sort of first team career even if he lands a pro contract in Australia or anywhere else.