Plissken

Football Thread 2018/19

12 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Another win for Wolves, now up to 7th. We really look like a very good side. 

I hope Gareth Southgate watches Conor Coady's performance today. He was top, top class.

Another fantastic win built on top of a defence that’s just so hard to get anything from. 

Its not just the shape of our team, but every player is just determined to do everything possible to ensure a clean sheet. Boly, Coady, and Bennett all read the game so well as well and Patrício is probably the best goal keeper I’ve ever seen at Wolves. 

Palace absolutely started the better team team and their tricky approach play and quick passing looks dangerous. I find it strange they’ve not scored at home all season, they were better than I expected. 

We had had by far the better chances however, one on one first half, the goal, and Cavaleiro striking the bar were the standouts. 

Two goals conceded in eight games all competitions now. 

A draw today between liverpool and City would probably be the best result for us ;)

1F31AF2F-AF21-490D-8F42-0A17FBE90B8C.jpeg

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, skadupuk said:

We are utter dogshit at the moment, I'd struggle to see us scoring against you once let alone three times.

(Was one of those 3-1 games the Danny Butterfield hatrick game?)

No, the first was the playoff game in 97, the second was our last league game, in 2013. You scored two great free kicks that day. 

Palace looked pretty decent to me yesterday, you won a lot of free kicks around the box, I was worried every time you attacked as you have some quick forward players and in those conditions I expected something to break for you in the box. 

While you didn't have a clear cut chance you can probably count yourself a little unlucky to lose. 

12 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Yeah it is.

ferguson

played.....win.....draw.....loss

1,500.......895....338.......267......59.7%

mourinho

played.....win.....draw.....loss

131..........79.......28........24........60.3%

Moyes and Van Gaal had 52% win percentage

Out of interest what were SAFs first 150 games as a direct comparison?

If we take the league as a useful barometer, given the variances of cup football, then Mourinho so far has 47 wins from 84 matches, a win percentage of 56%.

Ferguson won 11 of his 29 games in charge after taking over from Ron Atkinson in 1986-87, then won 23 from 40 in his second season. 15 league games into his third season, Ferguson had added another four wins as they started badly, losing two and drawing the other nine. That gives him 38 wins from 84, and a win percentage of 45%.

For comparison, Moyes had a league record of 17/36 (47%), Giggs had 2/4 (50%), and Van Gaal had 39/76 (51%). 

I doubt there's a person in the world who'd swap Ferguson for any one of them.

• Upvote 2

Comparisons like that are always flawed though. When Ferguson took charge United weren't as big as they are now so it's not surprising he didn't get off to a flying start. The managers that have all been in since have taken over a fully established and successful club that he built. You'd expect them to all have better win ratios since Ferguson done all the hard work getting the club to this position, moreso now with the money/players available to the new managers coming in. 

• Upvote 1

Are Mourinho's stats very surprising? He's only been there for two and a bit seasons and  clearly they had a fairly solid run of results last time out because they finished second! However, throughout that period the style has been woeful, and so now he's getting serious attention because he's no longer grinding out the results to compensate for that. You can also factor in that, for quite some time, everyone, including the home fans, has been pretty bored of his neverending theatrics.

I won my first ever bet just now! 

I'm fucking useless at it. Genuinely terrible. I never win. Been 1 goal away on countless occasions.

But stuck something on Chelsea to win the first throw in, corner, free kick and goal - and I now love Danny Ings for missing from 6 yards.

£15 richer #everylittlehelps 

• Upvote 2

Thought this Liverpool vs Man City game would be explosive, like every previous match between them has been. I got a stream set up in full expectation of an exciting game. What happened ?

It's been so cagey and dull. The kind of game a commentator/pundit will likely say of it; well..no shots or saves, but it's been fascinating and tense ! 

Primed for a last minute Sturrudge winner though. Get your bets in. 

18 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

Thought this Liverpool vs Man City game would be explosive, like every previous match between them has been. I got a stream set up in full expectation of an exciting game. What happened ?

It's been so cagey and dull. The kind a commentator/pundit will likely say of it; well..no shots or saves, but it's been fascinating and tense ! 

Primed for a last minute Sturrudge winner though. Get your bets in. 

I always enjoy Sky Sports pre -match hype / hard-on falling flat, when the game turns out shite.

See also: Their Pre fight hype whenever Amir Khan was involved.

The football Gods obviously had a late Friday night and mixed up deciding how the Man United vs Newcastle game would go with this. 

It's been so nothing Mahrez skying it was the only highlight. Catch it on motd, you'll blink and it'll be on 70 mins. Tv presenter saying there was a note passed from the bench saying for Mahrez to take the penalty. They sure that note was from the Man City bench? 

• Upvote 1

You know how everyone was taking the piss last week about Cardiff vs Burnley being the televised "Super Sunday" game?  Sky even admitted it was a contractual obligation by scheduling it against the Ryder Cup.

It had three goals in it you fuckers.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Scottish results today indicate a return to business as usual...

Celtic were like it was 2016 again. The Hearts defending for the first Rangers goal was absolutely surreal. Just look at this and burst out laughing.

• Upvote 5

Ahahaha that’s amazing. “Shall we try that offside thing Japan did in the World Cup?”, “I dunno, it’s pretty risky and requires precision timing, we’d better practice it in training next week”, “nah fuck it it’ll be reet”.

• Upvote 2

Matt Doherty wins the PFA player of the month for September.

Absolutely delighted for him - he was getting pelters after the first two games of the season.  He had a nightmare at Leicester (missed a sitter, scored a comical own goal and went off injured after Vardy scythed him down) but his form since has been unreal.  

Surely Martin O'Neill will finally give him a chance for Ireland?

And talking of international call ups, I have no idea why Southgate has overlooked Conor Coady and Ryan Bennett in favour of Lewis fucking Dunk FFS!!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

They timed it right apart from dozy number 19, who starts behind everyone else and sets off after everyone else.

The best part of it is that they all then stop and stand around confused while Rangers pass the ball around the box, as if they can't comprehend that it didn't work.

17 hours ago, Plissken said:

You know how everyone was taking the piss last week about Cardiff vs Burnley being the televised "Super Sunday" game?  Sky even admitted it was a contractual obligation by scheduling it against the Ryder Cup.

It had three goals in it you fuckers.

And Liverpool kept wiping the ball down to do much worse throw ins than we did AND Salah played about as well as Zahore did for us AND not only were there 3 goals - there were also saves and shots on target and I'll shut up as our next away trip is Anfield.

• Upvote 2