Plissken

Football Thread 2018/19

He definitely gets the ball first. It was a foul and a red would have been harsh.

Edit : Watched it again and the keeper gets the first touch, onto Sturridge, and then Sturridge studs him in the nuts. Still think a red would be harsh.

14 minutes ago, Adrock said:

He definitely gets the ball first. It was a foul and a red would have been harsh.

Edit : Watched it again and the keeper gets the first touch, onto Sturridge, and then Sturridge studs him in the nuts. Still think a red would be harsh.

Yep. No goal, foul tackle. But not a card.

Just now, Stigweard said:

He's a weird lad is Sol isnt he. Who forgets how old they are lol.

Freddy Adu
Obafemi Martins

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, hmm said:

The finish for his second was ridiculous too. And then he went on to get his hat trick.

I fell out of the habit of watching La Liga a few years ago, and have never managed to get back into it, despite vaguely meaning to and it being available to me. I feel a bit silly that I haven't taken enough advantage of having at my disposal weekly coverage of almost certainly the best player that has ever played. There are so many shit, over-hyped 'big 4' PL matches I wish I'd skipped in favour of some more Spanish - and particularly Catalan - action.

I’ve subscribed to eleven sports just to watch him for the next couple of years. 

12 hours ago, Revival said:

Am I right in thinking there's no Champions League highlights shows on any terrestrial channels at all now?

Not highlights but BT Sport have a show where they cover all the games as they happen and did in and dip out of matches to show you key replays. I watched the Champions League mostly this way last season up to the semi-finals and it's really good - a bit like Soccer Saturday but they show the game rather than have Paul Merson shouting "OOOOHHHHH, oooooh! What a goal!"

Up to the semis? I thought the Goals Show was a group stage only thing?

Hell, it could be done for just one day and it'd be the second best thing in the football calendar after the FA Cup 1st Round.

5 hours ago, christaylor said:

It looks like BT Sport are putting highlights reels up on Youtube, but for decent extended highlights your best best is probably to check the subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/footballhighlights/

Says a lot about the state of things if the best option is to find links on a forum.  I do wonder what the long term effects of removing the visibility of the Champions League to Joe Public will be, I'm sure the next season or two will still be the same but  those who like football but don't support a team in the big cup might stop being interested neutrals.  If audiences drop too much then does ad money take a bit? 

1 hour ago, Naysonymous said:

If audiences drop too much then does ad money take a bit? 

eventually. Partnerships with UEFA to sponsor these things will be sold to them on x number of viewers, etc etc etc so that is one factor that would drop when they negotiate on that. The TV channels won't pay as much if there aren't as many viewers to gain either. I sorta feel like it's probably drops in an ocean though, the viewership would have to drop hugely before it mattered. 

I'm really gutted about itv not having the highlights anymore. I already pay Outta my arse for Sky every month, and just can't justify the extra 28 quid bt want to add their channels. What really takes the piss is they have a £10 a month mobile/tablet subscription which I'd happily pay, but you can only get it if you have BT broadband. Why the fuck should an online mobile subscription be tied to who your Internet provider is!

What is disappointing is you can’t listen to bbc local radio for the championship games. I was out jogging listening to the Boro game build up then at kick off it stopped and said I can’t listen online due to contractual reasons. 

How long has that been going on? Bit shit really. 

The replay isn't very clear but it looks like the same kind of shithousery he got away with at the wC has been noticed and punished this time. A shame he'll miss OT but he must have known he was running the risk.

23 minutes ago, smithstock said:

That's been around for donkeys years; you can listen on DAB or FM, just not through online. You only get pre-match build up and post match analysis otherwise. 

Yea I usually listen while driving or in the house, so it’s shows it’s been a while since I went running at match time :lol: 

Just spotted Renato Sanches started and scored for Bayern tonight. Amazed he still has a career after his season at Swansea.

To be fair he's only turned 21 last month, he looked superb at Euro 2016 and by all accounts he'd had a great season with Benfica before that.  He clearly moved when he was too young to cope with it and should have stayed in Portugal for a couple more seasons.  There's a player in there somewhere and it wouldn't surprise me to see him be a superstar in the not too distant future. He could have a Gareth Bale style career arc. 

On 18/09/2018 at 20:19, blurie said:

I’m amazed we’ve hung on to him to be honest, be interesting to know what the club value him at.

We paid him another £20k a week, on top of his (alleged) existing £120k a week.

Part of the issue is that United have a health cut of any transfer fee as part of the deal that brought him back, bringing the price needed in order to consider selling him right up in order to raise enough to stand a hope of buying a semi-decent relacement, without him we're fucked and there's £120m reasons why pulling out all the stops made sense. 

On realated note Spurs fairly recently (summer 2017) offered us £12m for him, whic may the cheekiest low ball offer ever.

I've heard stories of people clocking in for a night shift at White Hart Lane and then shooting off to an underground job to do the 4 hours or so there before getting back to WHL to clock out.

I've also been told it's absolute chaos. Fire alarm installation packages are still awarded as recently as two weeks ago.

There is no way they're leaving Wembley this season.