mdn2

My Friend Pedro (2019)

This looks insane, I'm definitely looking forward to this one I love the bullet time crazy moves set to a classical score. I'll probably be terrible at it.

Oh wow, that's like ... Superhot, Mirror's Edge and Rolling Thunder mixed into one. WANT!

My mind is in knots trying to think about what the controls are gonna be like though ...

• Upvote 1

Yeah this looks fab, the wall jumping and ballet moves make it really fluid and I love how you can use deflections and objects in the game world to wreck dudes. May be shallow but for a quick blast it looks like a right laugh! Can't wait to see first hand impressions and more gameplay.

#bananagunballet

1 hour ago, peeveen said:

My mind is in knots trying to think about what the controls are gonna be like though ...

This is what I was thinking. How hard is it actually going to be to do all that stuff in the demo? And are the enemies really that hopeless to give you time to do it?

Potentially amazing though.

1 hour ago, BadgerFarmer said:

This is what I was thinking. How hard is it actually going to be to do all that stuff in the demo? And are the enemies really that hopeless to give you time to do it?

Potentially amazing though.

Looks like each arm is aimed with a controller stick. I'm guessing jumping automatically spins, and you stick to surfaces either automatically or holding down a button. The slow-mo is player activated. But maybe it really is quite complex but most of the game is in slow-mo so you have time to pull it all off?

8 minutes of footage. The guy playing it isn't amazing, but it gives you an idea how it'll play when you git gud.

And Kotaku have an article which talks about the controls:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/kotaku.com/my-friend-pedro-is-like-a-more-violent-2d-max-payne-1826833119/amp

My Friend Pedro is like a more violent, 2D Max Payne

In addition, the man you control has split aiming, meaning you can select a target, lock it in, and then swivel in another direction to aim the second gun. This makes it possible to dive through rooms Matrix-style and take out multiple targets at once. Your character can also jump off walls and is unusually adept at doing flips, so you can also weave through the air with the grace of a Cirque Du Soleil performer while your dual-uzis tear up the room with some dazzling debris effects.

All of this makes playing My Friend Pedro more like shredding on a halfpipe in an old Tony Hawk game then the gorefest it technically is. Superlatives pop up on screen when you pull off an unusually astounding maneuver or kill enemies in an especially brutal and efficient fashion. The game tallies up your score at the end of each level based on these things, as well as stuff like whether you killed every enemy in under a certain amount of time. You get bonus points if any of these kills are extra special, like coming by way of by bullets ricocheting off a frying pan that’s flying through the air.

Every level in the game will offer its own platforming bullet puzzle, but figuring them out requires unraveling how to line up all of your abilities so that what results looks stylish. I got close a couple times, but other players will no do astounding things when the game comes to PC and Switch next year. 

The game does look fantastic, although the name of the thing reminds me of a sodding Kanye West album, and that's not so good :(