djbhammer

Forza Horizon 4 - Open-UK Racing

Looks stunning.

There's no way this is anything other than a day-one for me.  That said, I hope the focus is more on racing and less on PR stunts, photo opportunities etc.  I much prefer FH2 to FH3 for that reason.

• Upvote 2

I'm day 1 with all that pre-order nonsense. I suppose I have until October to agonise over a new TV and whether to go S or X.

• Upvote 1

I think all the usual Horizon stuff going on at 60 fps (presumably 1080p?) will make your eyes bleed.

Edit - actually, the barn finds are going to include various classic British cars, now. Sinclair C5?

Also, needs rallying in Wales. Barry Island DLC.

• Upvote 3

The rumours about Japan had me hoping for that and I’m not exactly over the moon about the UK but the new seasons system looks brilliant and makes up for any reservations I have about the setting. 

Also wondering how you get from London to Edinburgh - is it one big world?

26 minutes ago, Pob said:

So are there playable bikes in this or not? I've not found any mention.

Screen_Shot_2018-06-10_at_23_20_16.png

I think they will be like the hover craft and be something you race against in one of the single player mode races.

When I started realising where this was set from the trailer was my favourite moment of the Xbox conference. Still smiling. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not blown away. To me the series is stale and it just feels more of the same. The weather is a nice touch but it's apparently even more open than before. It just never felt like the racing of the sublime original. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Empathy 1

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

The rumours about Japan had me hoping for that and I’m not exactly over the moon about the UK but the new seasons system looks brilliant and makes up for any reservations I have about the setting. 

Also wondering how you get from London to Edinburgh - is it one big world?

I don’t think London is in the game. Seems like Edinburgh is the only city area.

This looks so good I can't wait to get stuck in the Friday evening traffic on the M5 southbound. 

My only concern is that I can't justify an X right now but the fact that it's out on gamepass the day of launch is staggering. 

• Upvote 2

I absolutely loved Horizon 3, I actually planned on reinstalling it recently because I couldn't get it out of my head.

Not as fussed by the UK setting as everyone else, I wouldn't have minded something a bit more exotic. I do like that the new additions make it basically a Test Drive Unlimited sequel, but good.

It looks great, although the stage demo was slightly marred by the guy MS had paid to sit in the front row and shout assent every time a feature was announced.

7 hours ago, Orion said:

I think they will be like the hover craft and be something you race against in one of the single player mode races.

Doh, that’s so annoying. Maybe they’ll introduce them as DLC. 

6 hours ago, Comrade said:

I don’t think London is in the game. Seems like Edinburgh is the only city area.

London will be DLC and we'll be teased with it being called Project Metropolis or some such. The bastards!! 

• Upvote 1

This could be the game to actually get me to buy a One X - this level of fidelity at 60fps will be pretty cool (and I never doubt a Forza title on hitting frame rates)

We could all suggest a series of events they should include to add some local UK flavour

• a point to point race thru Epping Forest visiting all the famous dogging car parks
  • kebab dash, a timed event where you have to get from your home to the shop in 2 minutes, park in the disabled bay for less than a minute hoping not to get a ticket, then dash home in 1m30s so the kebab remains hot.
  • Upvote 6

20 minutes ago, Gotters said:

This could be the game to actually get me to buy a One X - this level of fidelity at 60fps will be pretty cool (and I never doubt a Forza title on hitting frame rates)

We could all suggest a series of events they should include to add some local UK flavour

• a point to point race thru Epping Forest visiting all the famous dogging car parks
  • kebab dash, a timed event where you have to get from your home to the shop in 2 minutes, park in the disabled bay for less than a minute hoping not to get a ticket, then dash home in 1m30s so the kebab remains hot.

Amazing.

I'll buy the X and this game just to go on kebab runs with the forum :lol:

• Upvote 1

60fps is cool and all, but the Horizon games have some kind of magic 30fps shit going on that make them feel nigh-on 60 (yes, I know the simulation runs at 60).

If there was a choice of fidelity and frame-rate, I'd probably stick to fidelity.

Not online only

It's important to note, however, that while the shared world experience is Playground’s vision for how best to enjoy Forza Horizon 4, it’s not an online-only game.

“Always online is a problem for people,” admits principal game designer Mike Brown. “Sometimes you just don’t want to play with other people; sometimes people are just put off by the idea of having to cope with other people.”

“It comes with loads of other problems, such as your internet goes down, you can’t play. Our servers go down; you can’t play. So we solved that problem by saying that Forza Horizon 4 will not be an always-online game. As much as this is a shared-world game, and we believe it’s much better played with other people, you can totally just click a button and play the entire game in single player with Drivatars if that’s your wont.”

“We sidestep the issues people have with losing connection to the server, or having poor internet, or losing their internet when they move house,” says Fulton. “We’re not forcing you to be online, and the game handles very gracefully either you opting out, or you losing connection – maybe our servers go down. What other games tend to do is maybe they’ll boot you out, you’ll be back at the front end, maybe you’ve lost progress. Doesn’t happen in our game; it’ll very seamlessly transition you back to an offline state of play, which is great.”

Of course, there are other problems that plague online-based experiences, but Playground explains it’s already intercepted and addressed a series of important ones to protect the traditional Forza Horizon experience. Yes, you can still pause the game. Yes, you can use photo mode. Yes, you can even rewind. And, no, you can’t be griefed by strangers.

72 players in multiplayer, Infection would be proper crazy

The biggest change is the way Forza Horizon 4 is being built as a shared world game, where the AI-powered Drivatars of Forza Horizon 2 and 3 are being replaced by real players within a 72-player server.

You can buy Edinburgh castle to live in

“In Horizon Life you’ll be able to earn progress in the game… and level up and get rewards through any of those activities,” says Brown. “If all you want to do is paint, the game will recognise that; it will give you objectives and challenges and rewards, and you can level up and see all the game’s content just through being a painter. It’s the ultimate evolution of Forza’s play-how-you-want philosophy.” If all you want to do is paint, the game will recognise that... It’s the ultimate evolution of Forza’s play-how-you-want philosophy.

There’s still more. Another feature, which Playground is dubbing Horizon Stories, adds a host of bespoke driving opportunities spearheaded by a large injection of new characters to the Horizon world.

“In previous games, everyone you’ve ever met at the festival, worked or lived at the festival,” says Brown. “Because you’re living there now we wanted to try and add more life to the world, so through a feature we’re calling Horizon Stories you’ll now meet people from around the UK; [they’re] colourful characters which will give you loads of really cool driving opportunities.”

Brown explains we’ll be able to pick up gigs like being a stunt driver in a movie, or assisting in a car documentary shoot.

Playground has also introduced purchasable properties to the game, from quaint country cottages to Edinburgh Castle itself, as well as the ability to buy businesses. The example given was a taxi firm, which will reward us for darting all over the map in a tricked-out Austin FX4. There’s even avatar customisation this time around – the cast of characters is the same crew introduced in Forza Horizon 3, but Forza Horizon 4 will ship with around 500 apparel choices designed to work across both genders. They’ll also be able to express 50 emotes that will be seen at key moments, like after races.

• Upvote 1

Just been having a nice binge watch of the FH4 stuff available on Youtube with my morning coffee and Farmhouse seedy toast and my god does it look beautiful. As someone has said I think it's been confirmed the hovercraft and bikes are there for those Horizon special event races only and aren't playable vehicles. It looks fucking sumptuous, some truly awesome lighting going on (as is usual for Horizon). I'm so glad I've just gotten that 6 months GP and 6 months gold for £34.99 bargain, that's me locked in for the launch. Lots of white transit vans in the game-play footage lol. I'm in the mood for a race or two of 3 in 4k.