Tetris Effect Connected - Switch joins on October 8th

Cyhwuhx

Mystery is a lot of luck. 

Regarding getting your 40 line clear down. It’s going to be tough. I certainly can’t hit 1min anymore. You need to train specifically for it. Practice hard dropping pieces with as few rotations as possible and not using the swap/hold.

You’ve also got to have that counter in your head keeping mindful of the number of tetrises you need and you’ve done, and really push to keep the speed up. It’s a real grind but will make all aspects of your game better.

Master mode requires pushing yourself to play faster until you’re comfortable starting at level M13 and then getting as many TSDs as possible. It will help to know S and Z spins off by heart too. 

Ultra is the really hard one for me, I am just not good at it.

TSD = T-spin double?

I’m correct in thinking you got the SS on everything before you quit PS4, right? I’m using your scores as my target, and oddly enough it’s Ultra that I seem to be closest on - you have 36,000 points and I’ve currently got 29,000. I assume 30K gives S rank and 35K for SS. I was going to push on that first to strengthen my S/T stacking.

To get my current score in Ultra (29,640) I always set up T spins on the fly, using every piece however best I could in that particular moment. That probably led to lots of wasted thinking time. I watched some other people doing S/T stacking and realized I could try to fit the same combination of pieces in the same ways over and over.

Totally smashed my score last night. The SS requirement is 35,000 and I managed to get 38,000 on one attempt, and then a whopping 51,000 within 3 minutes on another. Unfortunately I did this while practicing in Puyo Puyo Tetris (Marathon mode). Still, it made me realize it’s achievable. Had to force myself to stop playing for sleep, and then spent all day at work counting the minutes to get back to Tetris Effect for a proper attempt.

Couldn’t get anything like as smooth a run as I managed last night. I kept brain farting and switching my held piece at the wrong time, missing a drop by one space etc etc. Nevertheless I did improve my score, by about 200 points lol. Still A rank.

I’ve given up after several hours trying and now I just realized that Marathon mode probably gives higher scores by the speed increase. Not too discouraged though, because I know how it feels when everything flows properly as it did last night, and that didn’t happen this evening.

Typical in the couple of days before this comes out on switch my eyes have decided to be a right old pain and my vision has gone completely gutted I'm hoping they improve it over the next week so I can at least get some playtime in really really frustrated

Still improving on Ultra mode, managed to get S rank a couple of times (at the low end though).

I’ve got my method down, but still chasing that elusive run where I don’t make a stupid mistake. I’ve had a couple that felt awesome for the first two minutes but then something will go awry- getting the same S/Z piece twice in a row at the wrong time is something I’m not very good at dealing with.

On the other hand I’ve had runs where I’ve placed every piece correctly and only had back-to-backs, but then time has run out when I’m still short on points. So I’m still thinking too much.

Also I’m relying on a particular set-up at the start to get into the flow, so if I see the wrong couple of pieces in the queue at the start I’m aborting rather than try to make an alternative stack. I’m sure this is not good for my flexibility but I don’t want to have to think about it.

Edited by Darwock

This place so so well on the switch it I can switch between PC console and handheld with these it doesn't seem like it's hampered in any way shape or form 

However one issue I do have is I can't physically play one of the levels on the second area of journey mode because it's just too bright for my vision at the moment and I can't see any options to actually turn off the effects or allow you to have a dark backgrounds at all times it's the only down point so far I forgot how much time I've been spending into slight marathon and quickplay where it hasn't really been a problem before want to suggest to the devs maybe

Is the play field bigger on the switch? It’s zoomed out really far by default on PS4, I’d imagine they must have made it bigger for the smaller screen?

Time for my my daily Tetris update that nobody asked for:

I got the SS in Ultra mode! Stiff_one need not be concerned though, I’m still 300 points behind him.

Here is how it went - I did my usual cock up half way through and switched out a piece instead of dropping it, which would normally have spelled the end - but this time I recovered it.

Not sure what to tackle next but I think I want to try Master. Sprint terrifies me so I’d like to leave Marathon to have something more achievable when it gets rough. Mystery is part of the Zone event this week though so I’ll do some half-assed attempts.

Embarrassingly I think I’m going to get the trophy for 1,000,000 rotations before I get the one for all SS ranks. That’s by far the rarest trophy, because even people who are good at Tetris don’t make such a meal out of it lol. I’m at 913,000 after that big push on Ultra mode.

I get frustrated with Mystery mode because the only way to score big enough is Tetris clears and T-spins, but trying to set either of those up is a complete waste of time when the game regularly messes up your grid. It seems like the only way to get around that is to run at max speed, get single line clears (and the odd T-spin) and hope for some good bonus effects. After two or three attempts I had improved to S with 348,000 (52,000 short). Luck was against me after that though. I’d often get screwed up in the first two minutes by something like a massive piece dropping in and then the field being bumped up by 4 lines, so I had no chance at all.

I chucked Mystery mode back in the bin for the time being, kept getting utterly shafted by the RNG. It got me a little more used to starting at speed 15 though, so I went to do Marathon using my S/T stacking knowledge from Ultra.

Holy shit, I am not ready for that. I need a little more time to look at the pieces, and by the time they drop it’s already missed and got stuck in the wrong gap. Dropped it to speed 10 but even that was rough. I can just about handle 8 but when there is a weird combination of pieces it’s very likely I’ll mis-place them.

I took the S/T stacking as far as I could and then switched to normal play - new high score but miles off the target. New found confidence, gone.

OK, so I just found out finesse (i.e. the optimal inputs to place pieces) in guideline games is not the same as in non-guideline games, so a lot of what you read online doesn’t apply to this game. It explains so much. :doh:

Documentation for this sort of stuff is not great and the game doesn’t really guide you on how to improve.

Spend 3 hours on this last night. Forgot how good this is. I prefer this so much over Tetris 99 and puyopuyotetris and is a top-tier game for me.

I last played on VR a year ago, when I became a bit addicted, and got rather good. That’s all gone now and with the new controller (i.e. now on switch) it took me a while to learn muscle memory, but I made some progress.

I too could do with some tips on how to get good at this, though. I’m not bad, but anything over Lv10 becomes a death march up the screen.

The dpad on the Joycons really doesn't help things on Swith does it? Still had an enjoyable session on my lunchbreak. I really need to practice though. Once the speed hits level 9 I lose control.

Put a bunch of hours into the switch version over the weekend and the couple of days before and I absolutely adore this release.

The biggest issue I have because of my vision at the moment is confidence in playing speedily so I'm not ready yet to start marathon at a higher level so I think I'm starting at around level 5 at the moment where I can usually start at least level 8, level 9 but you're really enjoying it about 2 minutes on sprint which isn't too bad considering, when I've got some vision back I should see great improvement averaging about A on everything so not hitting the S Rank yet

I am OK until about 12/13, then it's a rapid decent. Actually, an ascent! The music is so damn good, and the graphics, too. I love this game.

I have a stick on dpad for one of my joycons and it's great*.

*great = serviceable

My Marathon record is creeping up - 478,000 today, so just 22,000 short of SS. That’s starting at speed 8, S/T stacking for around 200,000 points and then winging it to the end. On that run I just happened to get a bunch of Tetris clears in the mid-phase. I either just need to do it better or nudge it up to speed 9. When I fail the S/T stacking it’s mostly an input error rather than a mental one so I think I’ll stay at this speed for now.

I had a better time on my lunchbreak with my hori split pads. With those when I screw up a drop it feels like my fault. Still struggle between 8-9 but practice makes less rubbish I guess.

There’s loads of videos of expert Tetris players getting SS ranks out there - who wants to see what it looks like when a shit player gets SS in Marathon?

I tried out speed 9 for most of the day, broke my record once but there were so many abortive attempts where I got myself into a dead-end that I put it back down to 8. It felt like I could handle the speed but the games were going nowhere.

Played in VR for this round, with the 1984 skin - my S/T stacking went a bit unorthodox from the very start but somehow I got it back together, until 3 minutes in where I totally blanked on putting the I piece where it was supposed to go and ended up screwing everything. Just tried to survive the rest, and broke past the SS limit on line 149 of 150. Bloody hell!

After that experience I think I’ve been imprinted psychologically with Mr Pajitnov’s lovely Russian tones.  He’s like the Santa Claus of Tetris.

I just don’t understand what you’re doing there. I always aim for a single free alley and drop I blocks in. I’ve never been able to get past that tactic. I’m pretty good at it. Gah. Need to watch some vids.