bradigor

Yoku's Island Express

image.thumb.png.8f2f909ea7b6432b36a44df94fed65a5.png

Welcome to Yoku’s Island Express

Say hello to Yoku the Dung Beetle, a new hero who has arrived on Mokumana Island to relieve the resident pterodactyl postmaster, or Posterodactyl, as he’s known, of his duties.

He’s ready for the easy life, soaking up the sun and delivering parcels on a tropical paradise! However, Yoku will quickly discover that an ancient Island deity is trapped in a restless sleep, and a host of colourful, quirky islanders are plagued by quakes and storms brought forth by its nightmares.

It’s all down to Yoku to traverse the island using a unique blend of pinball mechanics and open world exploration, in an amazing quest to help those in need!

Flip and bump our pint-sized protagonist around the stunning hand-painted island on your quest to rebuild the post-office, discover the mystery of the Fruit Altar, and wake an old god from its slumber.

This game came out recently across all platforms and is incredible.

It mixes genres really well and is a:

Metroidvania, Platforming game with pinball mechanics. 

The art style is lovely and the music is joyful. Despite being fairly short, it has fantastic pacing. Check out videos below then go ahead and buy it. It is already one of the games of the year in my opinion. 

Buy it

Xbox
Playstation 

PC

Switch

• Upvote 8

Deserves its own thread. My wife is absolutely loving this and I'm enjoying watching her play. 

Last game she got into was Odyssey. She got to the dark side of the moon faster than I did! 

Anyway, despite the odd name, this is charming and beautiful. Love it. 

Despite the shameless Yoshis Island name ripoff, this has been reviewing well from YouTubers and podcasts to big websites (IGN 8/10, Eurogamer Recommended).

I can't really get my head around the concept though. So it's a mixture of actual pinball but where you control the "ball" as your character, interspersed with platforming?

You control the character tethered to the ball. It works quite well, actually from the little I've played of it. 

How's the physics? Couldn't get on with Momonga Pinball Adventures because the flippers felt too slow and you can't really do any hinge side tricks... Plus some rookie design issues.

I love the concept though.

Honestly I think if you’re even interested in the concept you’ll go on to love it. It’s really good.

the post story stuff can be a tad frustrating but there’s still so much mystery there to keep me playing.

• Upvote 1

Bought this solely on recommendations from here, haven't regretted it. Very charming game, and a great fusion of two very different genres. The pinball physics seem more than acceptable.

5 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

How’s the Switch version? Feels like a switch kinda game but on the other hand I’d rather get it on Xbox if it runs significantly better. 

Runs smooth on Switch.

12 minutes ago, NickC said:

How hard is it?

It's not hard at all. It can be challenging in place, but I found it a lovely relaxing game more than a frustrating thing to push through. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

Any idea on length?

5-6 for the main game.

think I’m close to 12 now at around 85% complete.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, JPickford said:

Runs smooth on Switch.

Yeah runs brilliantly on the switch and the pro controller triggers feel incredible.

it struggles to load areas later in the game when you’re zipping about but it only pauses for a second and doesn’t affect gameplay at all.

Stuck on a bit where you have to suck up slugs then remove an obstruction.  I cant figure out how to do it without touching them.   I managed it once by accident but there are 2 blockages.   Is there some trick to slowing down or something.   Can't find any instructions.

6 minutes ago, JPickford said:

Stuck on a bit where you have to suck up slugs then remove an obstruction.  I cant figure out how to do it without touching them.   I managed it once by accident but there are 2 blockages.   Is there some trick to slowing down or something.   Can't find any instructions.

As you get near, hold ZL & ZR to suck them in. Then you just need to hit the obstruction. 

15 minutes ago, bradigor said:

As you get near, hold ZL & ZR to suck them in. Then you just need to hit the obstruction. 

It works about 1 in 20 times for me.   I hold the button but the slug still explodes.  Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.  I got past the bit where I was stuck but there's loads more places where you have to do the same thing.

Right, got it on Switch. 

Haven't used the thing in so long both the Pro controller and main unit’s batteries are dead. 

Think I might get Ikaruga as well. 

31 minutes ago, JPickford said:

It works about 1 in 20 times for me.   I hold the button but the slug still explodes.  Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.  I got past the bit where I was stuck but there's loads more places where you have to do the same thing.

It should slow down every time you get near a slug unless you’ve already sucked one up.

it sounds like it could be a bug if that’s not happening. And yeah the slug stuff is a HUGE part of the game so I’d make sure before continuing!

• Upvote 1