djbhammer

The Golf Club 2019

Played four hours of it. I can finally properly talk about what I experienced during the beta test.

Graphically its a fair bump up. Trees no longer look 2D, the lighting is much improved. Rough looks way better and more natural. Your avatar is improved, with a lot of customisation options. Crowds are still fairly dead and a bit shit.

Physics are a massive improvement. The rollout is realistic, lies aren't as harshly punishing (some heavy rough gives a 90-95% lie but your ball will roll more on landing). 

Putting has had a overhaul. No longer is it too easy to hit one straight, if you're slightly off line the ball will clearly take off more left or right. Power also has been changed slightly, had to essentially relearn it although it didn't take long.

The career mode is much better, you go through Q-School, then Web, then the pro tours (well, PGA due to the license). There's five difficulties from very easy, aka AI is shocking, to very hard, where they'll be scoring -8 to -11 per tournament.

More licensed courses, and more HB official ones. Can't comment on user courses as its the day of launch but some users have ported theirs over. St Andrews still plays a great round.

Three clubsets ala TGC2. Being a veteran I started on Master clubs and they're very fair if very tough. Deviation from a straight line and tempo come into play massively, although its easy to keep the line in the cone. Rarely hit a perfect/perfect, but slow/perfect only punishes you slightly, likewise fast/perfect as long as you're in the cone. Basically its 80% about tempo (easier to get on easier clubsets but you lose a lot of distance), and 20% line.

Feels very good on PC, slight stuttering when using the fast forward as the ball flies through the air, but a patch would soon change that.

Its early days but it feels like what HB wanted TGC2 to actually be.

• Upvote 2

@DorkSirjur how’s the chipping, reading on tgctours quite a few complaints about wedges and 9 irons not stopping? Also do you know from reports during the beta how it was performing on a base PS4? Haven’t played since TGC1 but thinking about a purchase, bit pricey mind.

They've minimised spin on the greens, which personally I find great but isn't sitting right with some. No more high lofting flops to get them to spin back perfectly etc. They do stop, there's just a yard or two more of roll out. All depends on green speed of course.

I know PS4 Pro is fine, think it'll be a stable 30fps on base PS4. I'm PC only now so can't really judge. I'd say its worth a purchase easily but only pay the £45 if you're gonna put some solid hours into it.

Cheers, yes sometimes people just see different as wrong rather than perhaps a bit more realistic/tougher. More licensed and HB courses appeals as does the much improved career mode. If it had been £34.99 I’d have bought it, might wait for some base PS4 reviews.

21 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

I know PS4 Pro is fine, think it'll be a stable 30fps on base PS4. I'm PC only now so can't really judge. I'd say its worth a purchase easily but only pay the £45 if you're gonna put some solid hours into it.

For a series that has a mediocre track record and almost no marketing for this title, I can't possibly comprehend how £45 digitally makes sense.

I suspect that, with a lack of traction, this will be heavily discounted to £30 within a few months or so, then any issues will be ironed out and UGC will be more prominent too. It's disappointing really because it might get lost within the upcoming gaming season and a low price could have triggered more impulse purchases beforehand.

3 minutes ago, smithstock said:

For a series that has a mediocre track record and almost no marketing for this title, I can't possibly comprehend how £45 digitally makes sense.

I suspect that, with a lack of traction, this will be heavily discounted to £30 within a few months or so, then any issues will be ironed out and UGC will be more prominent too. It's disappointing really because it might get lost within the upcoming gaming season and a low price could have triggered more impulse purchases.

They know day one there's about 3000 of us who'll drop £45 without question. Nature of addiction. Disc version will be £20 in about three months like it always is.

The tour is good, real courses are really nice. Gameplay is pretty much the same if a little more forgiving. Best one so far by a long shot.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, smithstock said:

I think I'll jump in for sub £20. I'm in no rush to get it and it seems light on content, I can manage with EG in the meantime. 

Content depends on what you want, really. The career mode is a bit naff but in terms of courses to actually play its untouchable.

Plus there's TGCTours which is the online tour played via the game that mirrors irl golf schedules.

9 hours ago, parrapatheslapper said:

So is there a list of real world courses anywhere? 

Here are a load of them that have been submitted to the database, sorted by rating:

https://tgctours.com/Course/TGC2019Listings?Grid-sort=Likes-desc&Grid-page=1&Grid-pageSize=50&Grid-group=&Grid-filter=IsRealRendition~eq~true~and~Status~neq~'Not Approved'

Click the options at the top for other courses. There's many many others that aren't submitted.

• Upvote 1