djbhammer

The Golf Club 2019

Thoroughly enjoy playing the Golf Club and to see it now have the official PGA licence is a major coup for them. Certainly puts an end to the EA era.

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, FLORIDA and NOVA SCOTIA, CANADA – The PGA TOUR returns to the video game space in an exciting new way this summer when a comprehensive PGA TOUR Career Mode is integrated into the award-winning “The Golf Club” franchise for Sony PlayStation 4, Microsoft Xbox One and PC platforms.

Through a licensing agreement with Canadian developer HB Studios, the career mode in “The Golf Club 2019” takes a player on an authentic journey through Q-School, the Web.com Tour and a 32-tournament PGA TOUR season, including the FedExCup Playoffs, to become the FedExCup Champion. As players progress and complete challenges, they will attract sponsors who will offer rewards for continued success.

Launching in August, “The Golf Club 2019” will feature six precise replicas of renowned TPC courses: Summerlin, Scottsdale, Sawgrass, Southwind, Deere Run and Boston. The PGA TOUR and HB Studios will continue to support the golf videogame community into the future by adding authentic tournament courses and ensuring the best possible play experience for fans of the sport.

“We are so excited for the launch of The Golf Club 2019 featuring the PGA TOUR that highlights some of our best tournaments,” said Len Brown, PGA TOUR Chief Legal Officer and Executive Vice President of Licensing. “This will allow our fans to take the same path to the PGA TOUR by earning their card through the Web.com Tour.  Additionally, this will give gamers the opportunity to play under the same tournament conditions that our players face week in and week out.  We are thrilled with this partnership.”

CAA Sports Licensing, on behalf of the PGA TOUR, helped broker the relationship with HB Studios.

HB Studios launched the original The Golf Club in 2014 followed by a highly rated sequel in June 2017. HB Studios is Atlantic Canada’s largest independent video game developer, established in 2000. HB Studios has an 18-year heritage of working on the industry’s leading sports games and franchises.

“We are absolutely ecstatic and proud to be an official licensee of the PGA TOUR, one of the most prestigious sports organizations in the world,” said Alan Bunker, CEO of HB Studios. “This further validates that HB Studios has the number one golf video game on console and PC platforms. With the inclusion of PGA TOUR content and the support of this fantastic organization, it will elevate our game even higher and provide our users with an even more authentic video game golfing experience.”

PGA TOUR Career Mode
Users will begin their career in the Web.com Tour qualifying tournament, the start of a journey to become a PGA TOUR member. Finishing in the top 75 in this event qualifies for entry into the Web.com Tour. In a streamlined season, users will have multiple ways of advancing to the PGA TOUR to begin their professional career. Finishing in first place in three of the six events will automatically earn a PGA TOUR card for early promotion. Finishing in the top 25 on the money list after the six events will also earn early promotion to the PGA TOUR. Once on the PGA TOUR, users will join the PGA TOUR and compete for the FedExCup over 32 events. Throughout each PGA TOUR season, not only will they compete for the top spot on the leaderboards, they will be working to achieve sponsorship goals for in-game rewards and competing against rivals. 

Rivalries
Once on the PGA TOUR, a player’s skills are noticed, leading to a rivalry with another player on TOUR. Over the following events they will compete head-to-head to prove who is the better player, not only on the leaderboard but also statistically. Players will compete for points in Number of Strokes, Front 9 Score, Back 9 Score, Birdies or Better, No Bogey Round, Best Hole and Worst Hole. The first player who reaches 20 points overall wins the rivalry and the bragging rights before moving on to the next challenge. 

Sponsor Goals
On the road to the FedExCup Playoffs, a player will attract the attention of various sponsors, who will offer an opportunity to represent their brand while completing challenges throughout each season. The better the performance, the more attention a player will draw from sponsors. A player will have to manage partnerships and challenges for rewards. Each sponsor comes with three levels where a player will have to complete 1-3 challenges to receive a reward.  

Licensed Courses
Throughout the PGA TOUR Career Mode, players will experience some of the most well-crafted user generated courses, as well as the authentic PGA TOUR tournament courses: TPC Summerlin (home of the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open), TPC Scottsdale Stadium Course (Waste Management Phoenix Open), TPC Sawgrass’ THE PLAYERS Stadium Course (THE PLAYERS Championship), TPC Southwind (FedEx St. Jude Classic and future home of the WGC-FedEx St. Jude Championship), TPC Deere Run (John Deere Classic), and TPC Boston (Dell Technologies Championship). 

• Upvote 3

Glad to see this. I dabbled with the original and picked up 2 the other day. Whilst EA totally lost their way with the golf, this goes back to proper no-nonsense golf.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

I didn't buy Golf Club 2, is it one of the Devs commentating again :)

It's the same guy as the first one.

8 hours ago, dave7g said:

Golf Club could be great if they fix the putting and stop making greens out of ice and glass.

Totally agree. Watching the ball continue rolling off the green after a small tap gets old pretty quickly.

• Upvote 1

It's a rage delete offence. There were other problems like a weird jump in animation mid swing that ruins shots. It happened far too often. If it's the same shot system this time I'm not going near it. 

Although of course I will.

And unless I'm missing something, this new one needs a shot speed-up button. Watching a ball take 2 minutes to roll to a complete stop really grates.

You folks not tempted by Everybody's Golf?

I've explored the possibility of picking this up, but barring the course creator, it seems that EG trumps it almost in every way. That being said, I've sunk so much time into EG that I'm looking for a new sports fix.

EG is fucking brilliant but my last Playstation was the 3 so I'm not able to partake in the latest versions :(

Well I’m on Xbox so EG not an option sadly! They are totally different games though and I like the fact this is more of a golf sim which I prefer. 

4 hours ago, smithstock said:

You folks not tempted by Everybody's Golf?

I've explored the possibility of picking this up, but barring the course creator, it seems that EG trumps it almost in every way. That being said, I've sunk so much time into EG that I'm looking for a new sports fix.

I'm a rabid fanboy of TGC so I won't prattle on but I hate three click swing. TGC is an exceptional game once you start to master it, and I'll be in deep on this on day one.

• Upvote 1

On 05/06/2018 at 00:57, dave7g said:

Golf Club could be great if they fix the putting and stop making greens out of ice and glass.

Just a general question, what's broken about the putting?

It's too hit and miss, there's no real way of judging speed and distance. Also your putt can go miles off the green if you miss by an inch. It's frustrating.

8 hours ago, dave7g said:

It's too hit and miss, there's no real way of judging speed and distance. Also your putt can go miles off the green if you miss by an inch. It's frustrating.

I've played a few more rounds of 2, punishing myself with the Hard and Hardest courses, and I agree the putting is difficult. The number of shots that either jump off the lip of the hole even though they're going at the right speed, or drift even though the markers aren't moving, or just roll off the green and need pitching back are more than normal putts, although this may be the ramblings of a man who rarely goes under par on these difficult courses. And any guides always mention getting a feel for it, which I can understand but when you've wasted 3 shots because of the issues above you begin to wonder how long it takes to get that feel. As I play I can understand it's the sort of game where, the more you play the more intuitive shots become. There has to be a balance though.

Aye putting, by all accounts, is the hardest part of a lot of golf games but those comments don't sound particularly great, especially when combined with unskippable cutscenes. I'll wait for the reviews. I think EG is still the best golf game going, but they dropped the ball with the latest one as it's not nearly as advanced as it should be.

I understand the comments about the aesthetics, and normally I'd agree that I prefer authenticity, but actually the visuals in EG are decieving. It's an exceptionally hardcore game and the theme instead ties in to some of the larger than life gameplay elements and Japanese culture. 

Saying all of that though, there have been three iterations of TGC in the time that EG has produced one. I'm expecting big things!

18 minutes ago, smithstock said:

I understand the comments about the aesthetics, and normally I'd agree that I prefer authenticity, but actually the visuals in EG are decieving. It's an exceptionally hardcore game and the theme instead ties in to some of the larger than life gameplay elements and Japanese culture. 

yep, based on what I last played the ball physics and how the playing surface affects it seem more accurate in EG than any recent 'sim' I've played (The Golf Club 2 being the latest)

EG certainly is no slouch when it comes to the actual golf; the presentation can be deceiving. I do like the brightness of it, and the super-positive feedback is welcome. But I can't handle that sickly-sweet presentation for long periods, it's just too much. TGC could be described as dry, but I like the neutrality of it. I've not played the PS4 EG but the PS2, PS3 and Vita ones I played were all very similar, sticking to a tried and tested formula, so I assume the PS4 one doesn't deviate much from that.

16 hours ago, dave7g said:

If you want tips etc just ask. If the putting was off I and others wouldn't be able to hit -17s and -18s across a lot of the courses. Its all about the putt marker and just getting used to the speed and math, the math is incredibly simple. Most don't realise the putt marker can hinder your putt if you don't move it.

Doing it just on feel can be a crapshoot.

A putt like the above comes through knowing it inside out. I genuinely want to help as I adore these games :D

7 hours ago, Vimster said:

I've played a few more rounds of 2, punishing myself with the Hard and Hardest courses, and I agree the putting is difficult. The number of shots that either jump off the lip of the hole even though they're going at the right speed, or drift even though the markers aren't moving, or just roll off the green and need pitching back are more than normal putts, although this may be the ramblings of a man who rarely goes under par on these difficult courses. And any guides always mention getting a feel for it, which I can understand but when you've wasted 3 shots because of the issues above you begin to wonder how long it takes to get that feel. As I play I can understand it's the sort of game where, the more you play the more intuitive shots become. There has to be a balance though.

Regarding balance play the slower green speeds. If you're playing on 187 and aren't used to putting the putts will go flying. The game, away from the greens, is incredibly easy, they had to leave some challenge in there.

3 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

Regarding balance play the slower green speeds. If you're playing on 187 and aren't used to putting the putts will go flying. The game, away from the greens, is incredibly easy, they had to leave some challenge in there.

Driving and approach shots aren't a problem, certainly.

Basic rules are always bring the marker directly back to the hole as the in game read can lie, especially when it says 1 foot or more down/up. If its say 10 inches uphill, move the marker 12 inches past, if its 10 inches downhill, bring the marker 12 inches before the hole. Always add extra on.

Adjust sideways for break, and then learn to putt at the marker. If green speeds are below 160 add an extra four on to elevation, add around two to downhill if its around 160-178ish, two for both. If its 187, add one to elevation, if its downhill fairly severe take an extra 5/6 off. Pulling the stick back to edge of avatars feet is roughly a ten foot flat putt, and learn the increments from there. Feel will soon kick in.

I've never played a Golf Club game so my first thought is I actually like the downplayed commentry style, it fits golf.

But there needs to be more of it.  When we first go to a hole he should be explaining the dangers, talking about pin placement, offering tee shot tips etc.

It'd go a long way to solving that there's a bit of a lack of atmosphere there, especially in conjunction with the paper cut out crowds that don't clap when clap.wav is being played and the sound of the ball landing is the worst sound effect I've heard since I last hit another car in a Gran Turismo game.

I played the Beta. Its a fantastic game with a lot of the problems from the previous two cut out. I'd go into details but I kinda can't.

I'm in day one and ready for addiction to take hold again.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I've never played a Golf Club game so my first thought is I actually like the downplayed commentry style, it fits golf.

But there needs to be more of it.  When we first go to a hole he should be explaining the dangers, talking about pin placement, offering tee shot tips etc.

It'd go a long way to solving that there's a bit of a lack of atmosphere there, especially in conjunction with the paper cut out crowds that don't clap when clap.wav is being played and the sound of the ball landing is the worst sound effect I've heard since I last hit another car in a Gran Turismo game.

They've actually just announced a proper golf commentator this time round. The last two games it was a guy from the dev team doing deliberately dead pan commentary. I personally like the ball landing sound, they've put in the graft on taking actual irl sounds.

I think I'm gonna pick this up but I get the impression it might get delayed if it's supposed to be out this year. I wonder why they haven't announced a release date. 

1 hour ago, smithstock said:

I think I'm gonna pick this up but I get the impression it might get delayed if it's supposed to be out this year. I wonder why they haven't announced a release date. 

Supposed to be next month. HB have basically made the game TGC2 should've been, before they took Maximum Games as a publisher who were, in complete honesty, absolutely fucking useless.