Sign in to follow this  
Keyboard Koala

Blade Strangers - new 2D fighting game from Studio Saizensen

lfAD7ej.jpg

A malevolent force known only as Lina is devouring data from a vast, interdimensional network of servers overseen by sentient computers called ”motes.” In desperation, the motes summon heroes from a variety of parallel game worlds to face off against each other in one-on-one combat. The tournament victor has the potential to be awakened as the Blade Stranger—the savior who can vanquish Lina and protect the motes from further harm!

Developed by Studio Saizensen, Blade Strangers is a hardcore old-school fighting game. The streamlined four-button control scheme makes it easy for beginners to deal out damage from day one…but the intricate combos, counters and specials give tournament-caliber players plenty of opportunities for frame counting, chain construction and hit-box science.

Blade Strangers will bring together an eclectic mix of characters from various games when it comes to Nintendo Switch, PS4 and Steam this Summer.

Studio Saizensen is including many of its own characters, like Umihara Kawase and notoriously underarmored Solange from Code of Princess. Other confirmed characters include Gunvolt and Shovel Knight.

Blade Strangers publisher Nicalis’ titles will also be represented in the game, with characters like Quote and Curly Brace from Cave Story and Isaac from The Binding of Isaac.

Debut trailer:

Opening cinematic (extended):

>>  Official website.

Looks pretty sweet, but then I'm a sucker for (obscure) Japanese 2D vs. fighting games. The Fallen Angels , anyone?

ZeMsx96.jpg

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Anime Trope Fighter: Oppai Edition.

Studio Saizensen is including many of its own characters, like Umihara Kawase and notoriously underarmored Solange from Code of Princess.

Ah. I thought I recognized the character design.

It's ugly, it's flat, it's over saturated,  it's not mechanically interesting, and it's coming from a company with no history in the genre...

Who is this for?

We already have too many current fighters that aren't hitting the numbers, and they're MUCH better fighters (seriously, y'all need to be playing UNIST, and it kills me that it's taken so long for it to even start getting eyes on it).

2 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Box art:

81sJ3JI_GBL._SL1500_.jpg

:hmm:

:lol:

I have some dodgy anime covers, but that beats them all. I guess it puts its real points of interest front and (just off-) centre, but still. Obligatory 'Oh, Japan'.

Not enough frames of animation for a modern 2D fighter, is the main problem I see. Makes it look like something made in flash for the characters.

Cave Story and Isaac and Shovel Knight being in the same beat em up is a great idea otherwise.

It looks as if they're 3D character models and have chosen to remove a lot of frames to make it look like a 2D fighter. Weird. They do need to put a few back in as they seem to have gone too far.