rllmuk
Ran

Dreams - MM, 5pm GMT livestream 04/01/19 - beta signups to follow

How’s this compare (or even work) to something like project spark? I just can’t get my head around how people are 3D modelling and making games with just a controller in such a free flowing way.

I enjoyed Art's Dream. It's a bit sixth form art project in places, but it really shows off what the engine can do. It doesn't quite get to 'best in class' in any gameplay category it tries, but the potential of the engine is obvious. Maybe the most impressive thing about it is how slick the transitions are during a level - there are fully voiced and orchestrated cutscenes, gameplay styles that transition seamlessly into other gameplay styles, and a whole load of spectacle towards the end. It's an excellent showcase for Dreams.

• Upvote 1

I sunk a load of time playing this with my seven year old yesterday, it really is wonderful.  Jumping around from marble runs to beat ‘em ups to space shooters to fun little multiplayer romps (Turn Left Duck had us in hysterics), and everything loading in a few seconds means there’s no downtime. 

While there is some really polished stuff up already, I think the fun is in embracing the jankiness of many of the creations.  And that’s much easier when to do when considering I could barely place a block in the first Dream Shaping tutorial! 

My only negative is the Made in Dreams watermark on the bottom right of the screen, it’s there all the time and I’m convinced it’s a burn in risk for my OLED.  Can’t see any way to turn it off unfortunately.  

P.S check out Witchy Woods for a deeply meditative take on the nature of fear. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, sammy said:

My only negative is the Made in Dreams watermark on the bottom right of the screen, it’s there all the time and I’m convinced it’s a burn in risk for my OLED.  Can’t see any way to turn it off unfortunately.  

If you pause any game using the option button on the controller and go to my preferences, under display you can change the transparency of the watermark right down to 0 to get rid of it :) 

@metallicfrodo just checked and rather bizarrely there doesn't seem to be any kind of parental/age filtering at all. I haven't come across anything age inappropriate yet, and I guess some games have names which suggest what age they are meant for, especially horror stuff. Though that obviously is only of any use when you are playing with your son/daughter.

• Upvote 2

I was surprised to see there was a bit of swearing in Art's Dream, considering its official Media Molecule content with trophies tied to it. I dont have kids though so I didnt check to see if a filter was available.

Looking forward to messing around with this, though I feel I'll struggle to build something I'm happy with.

44 minutes ago, SteveH said:

If you pause any game using the option button on the controller and go to my preferences, under display you can change the transparency of the watermark right down to 0 to get rid of it :)

Brilliant, thanks!

2 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Can you jump straight in to playing people's games or do you have to play through a bunch of Stephen Fry voiced tutorials first?

There's a short intro where it tells you how to use a controller, but after that (5 mins, maybe) you can go for it. There's more tutorials if you want to make your own stuff. 

And it's voiced by a woman who is mildly irritating. 

Bought this yesterday on the store (£28.85 for a £35 code from ShopTo! :) )

Ive been a dev for going on 12 years, use Unity at work, and Unreal in my own time, and I'm absolutely blown away by what they've made. It's no wonder it took so many years, and the price is peanuts for what's possible. 

Only done Art's Dream, a few user made things and a handful of tutorials but I can see this being a huge time sink.

The MM content is fantastic, naturally, but there have already been some standout user creations, such as Pip Gemwalker (a Captain Toad esque game), Ruckus (play as a cartoon Kaiju and wreck a city with the camera occasionally switching to helicopter news feeds), The Pilgrim (third person platformer that has a bunch of beautiful varied areas, and changes at time to a twin stick shooter, a 2.5d platformer and a 2d platformer) and Super Great Job, Human (an astrobot type character that can use the imp to collect and move things, set in a world of obsolete technology). 

Was really unsure about picking it up, but I feel I've had my monies worth already. 

Will be interesting to see what happens copyright wise given I've already seen Mario, Sonic, Lara Croft and more knock offs, along with hearing the Halo theme poorly recorded through a headset. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think copyright infringement is that big a deal, really. They don't use any of that stuff in promotional material, official streams or have it highlighted by Mm in Collections or Jams, plus importantly there's currently no way for people to profit from their creations. There is a complaints process on their website so obviously it's something the developer is prepared to deal with, but I'm guessing instances will be relatively rare.

One possible exception would be people recording music via a microphone, not recreating it in the game's audio tools. Not much of a loss, in my opinion.

I'm really liking the look of this although I'm not sure I have the time to put into it.

I loved Music and Music2000 when I was a youngster. It taught me so much. I could never afford professional software and equipment and used it to make stuff for years. I would stretch the onboard sampler to its limits. I couldn't even save my projects because the memory cards were smaller than the onboard sample memory so had to leave my PlayStation on for days until I was ready to record it onto minidisc. I would love to have had this at that age. 

Could you make a basic rhythm action game with it? 

6 hours ago, LeighCb said:

Could you make a basic rhythm action game with it? 

There's a very basic Guitar Hero/Rockband clone on there. It only has two tracks at the moment, but the guy who made it is promising more. It works well enough for what it is, but playing with a controller just feels like it is lacking something.