Goose

Films you’re sure will never get made

Was thinking today, how many times has Bad Boys 3 been announced as moving forward? Yet we’re still no closer. In fact, with the TV spin off I reckon we might be further than ever to seeing Smith and Lawrence team up.

Beverly Hills Cop 4 - at one point this had a shooting script, director and release date. Still here we are, no closer than we were years ago. Perhaps the failure of the TV  show killed the movie off. (On another note, Paramount listed Coming to America 2 as part of their slate for 18/19.)

The Crow - has any other movie been announced so many times? Numerous scripts, directors, producers. It does seem like this is happening now with Jason Momoa.

Anymore?

world war z - 2 - (this time can we actually have a movie based on the book)  - always seems to get pushed back and back due to various peeps scheduling conflicts.

The Channing Tatum Gambit movie. I mean, look at its Wikipedia article!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Gambit

When Gore Verbinski was linked to it until a few months ago, that seemed to be its best chance of getting made. (If only because there's a neat bit of X-Men connection trivia in the fact that Verbinski directed the music video for the song "Negasonic Teenage Warhead".) But now, any X-Men movie development at Fox is sure to be superseded when the Disney deal goes through, and I doubt that a Gambit movie will be a priority for Marvel Studios when they take over responsibility for making them.

I can see all future x-men movies from fox being canned once the deal with Disney go through - a complete reboot for bringing them back officially into the marvel fold would allow them to recast Jackman etc... without to much issue as this would be a "different" universe than the fox one.  they have dropped x-men from the dark phoenix movie title that is coming out.

another one which after the cancelling of the TV series and announcement by the "chin" himself of his retirement of the character - Evil Dead 4 :(

I, Lucifer. Daniel Craig, Ewan McGregor. Shot and in the can allegedly. Was due to be released ten years ago.

Bizarre.  

Any real Discworld property. There were the dodgy 90s cartoon versions of Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music, and those ropey Sky One live action efforts a few years ago, but a proper, Hollywood Discworld film. Preferably focused on the guards, in keeping with the very British, whimsical tone of the books and demonstrated well with the Harry Potter films. There's been multiple rumours over the years - Wee Free Men directed by Sam Raimi, or done by the Jim Henson company, or a Guards BBC series, but nothing ever seems to materialise. 

You'd think Hollywood would have been tripping over themselves to option the property to fill the very real Harry Potter gap and, with over 40 books in the series (some better than others, as you'd expect from that amount), there was a lot of options to choose from. I understand that Terry was meant to be fiercely against making his stories into anything else, but he let sky do it and they did a proper hack job. 

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Orko said:

Any real Discworld property. There were the dodgy 90s cartoon versions of Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music, and those ropey Sky One live action efforts a few years ago, but a proper, Hollywood Discworld film. Preferably focused on the guards, in keeping with the very British, whimsical tone of the books and demonstrated well with the Harry Potter films. There's been multiple rumours over the years - Wee Free Men directed by Sam Raimi, or done by the Jim Henson company, or a Guards BBC series, but nothing ever seems to materialise. 

You'd think Hollywood would have been tripping over themselves to option the property to fill the very real Harry Potter gap and, with over 40 books in the series (some better than others, as you'd expect from that amount), there was a lot of options to choose from. I understand that Terry was meant to be fiercely against making his stories into anything else, but he let sky do it and they did a proper hack job. 

A few years ago, former Disney artist Claire Keane posted some concept art of a version she worked on:

http://www.claireonacloud.com/misc-development/

I'm not sure if that was the same version as the one where the studio wanted them to "lose the Death angle".

https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/TV_and_film_adaptations

I Am Legend was in development for 15 years before it came out. Started out as an Arnie film. Ended up a Wil Smith one. There's always hope, basically.

A live-action Dragonlance trilogy.

The less said about the animated movie of the first book the better...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Nick R said:

Dredd 2, unfortunately. :(

My uncle is a producer at DNA films. I've asked him several times over the years if a sequel was ever likely and as much as they want to do one - and they really want to do one - it just isn't financially viable. So unless some rich guy with money to burn comes along and funds it then it just isn't going to happen.

Tied into the other thread, but any proper action film without CGI blood :( it's just not going to happen is it.

2 hours ago, The Grand Pursuivant said:

My uncle is a producer at DNA films. I've asked him several times over the years if a sequel was ever likely and as much as they want to do one - and they really want to do one - it just isn't financially viable. So unless some rich guy with money to burn comes along and funds it then it just isn't going to happen.

I'm still blown the fuck away that Dredd only made $41 mill in a year of mostly shit films. 

• Upvote 2

Neuromancer. Defeated Chris Cunningham, and Vincenzo Natali as well. 

After many years in development, the Neuromancer movie has taken a big step forward by securing new funding. At the same time, though, it has lost director Vincenzo Natali, who’s been attached for the past five years.

Screen Daily reports Chinese company C2M Media Group has stepped up to co-develop and co-finance Neuromancer with the UK-based GFM Films. With Natali gone, producer Lucas Foster (Equilibrium, Mr. & Mrs. Smith) is in talks with new writers and a new director. No names have been revealed as of yet.

Neuromancer has been in development for several years. Around 2000, Chris Cunningham (director of the Aphex Twin “Windowlicker” video) was trying to get a film made. That version never took off, and in 2007 Joseph Kahn (of the Taylor Swift “Bad Blood” video and the film Detention) signed on to direct. Needless to say, that version didn’t come together either.

In 2010, Natali replaced Kahn. Initially, Natali’s hiring seemed to inspire some forward momentum. GFM announced the start of pre-production in 2011, Lorenzo di Bonaventura signed on to produce in 2012, and big names like Mark Wahlberg and Liam Neeson were courted to star. And then nothing. Wahlberg and Neeson aren’t currently attached and neither is di Bonaventura.

That was 2015...

10 hours ago, SuperBrother said:

Akira (hopefully)

This was my first thought. It gets announced again every few years, then dies away. In general I wish Hollywood would stop wasting their time gutting all the style and unique ideas from anime then being shocked when nobody pays to see the painfully generic results. But that shit looking Battle Angel movie seems to actually be coming out :( 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, The Grand Pursuivant said:

Adi Shankar has a youtube video where he breaks down the way Dredd made it's money. And he explains why it will almost certainly never get a sequel. 

20 hours ago, Vin said:

I, Lucifer. Daniel Craig, Ewan McGregor. Shot and in the can allegedly. Was due to be released ten years ago.

Bizarre.  

Wow. Mind blown. 

There's another one too - The Devil and Daniel Webster. 

Alec Baldwin, Anthony Hopkins and Jennifer Love Hewitt. I think some version of it was eventually released, hacked to pieces, on the quiet. 

Edit: It was eventually released as Shortcut to Happiness. Re-edited, barely completed, and thrown out. It had been shot by Alec Baldwin in 2001 and finally released in 2007.