Gareth Evans upgrades the pitiful actor Dan Stevens to acting behemoth and living legend Tom Hardy. Previously the Apostle thread.

I'm not upset about anything :lol: Hardy is just a big fucking pile of ham now.

Including Taboo. Including Dunkirk. Including Venom. Including Legend. Including Batman.

I think you've just got a slightly different taste in performances. And we're also way past the point where we need to make excuses for 'artistes' being cunts on set, when so many capable people... aren't. 

A quick google for something like 'Tom Hardy asshole' will bring up plenty of stories from cast and crew. About his 'process' making him selfish and undermining directors. But, obviously, don't let that make you take your posters down or anything.

What's this thread for now? It's quite confusing. Anyway, prompted by being in here and noticing Apostle was a Netflix film, I put it on last night. It's.. not very good? It's full of big acting and people pulling faces and doing voices, but there's not quite enough to hang it all on somehow. The scares/shocks don't quite do the business, and some of the ham is almost edible. I did very much enjoy the gate-kicking as @K pointed out, near the end.

11 minutes ago, schmojo said:

I'm not upset about anything :lol:Hardy is just a big fucking pile of ham now.

Including Taboo. Including Dunkirk. Including Venom. Including Legend. Including Batman.

I think you've just got a slightly different taste in performances.

Well i am genuinely curious. When do you think he wasn't a parody of himself? Everything up to The Warrior or Lawless? I didn't think you could ham it up in a role like Dunkirk. Too much eye movement? 

It's just interesting about what people want, because if an actor isn't entertaining and watchable and colouful then i guess he's bland and boring? Who wants that? He mostly picks imposing characters in fun largely throwaway films/shows and his performances reflect that. Saying he's hamming it up in Venom supposes that doing anything different would be better. His performance suits the film. He's fun to watch in a way very very few actors are, who always inhabits and distinguishes each character in a way the more subtle straight actors can't do either. 

What about Locke? I think Legend could have been a far different film but most of that falls on the director. Same with Capone really. There's nothing there and they rest on his presence and how captivating he is to watch, subtlety doesn't come into it.

11 minutes ago, schmojo said:

And we're also way past the point where we need to make excuses for 'artistes' being cunts on set, when so many capable people... aren't. 

A quick google for something like 'Tom Hardy asshole' will bring up plenty of stories from cast and crew. About his 'process' making him selfish and undermining directors. But, obviously, don't let that make you take your posters down or anything.

I still can't find anything. A critic is angry because Tom Hardy didn't turn up to a press junket and left him waiting. Oh no!

I'm not excusing behaviour, I'm saying all big actors don't just turn up and read their lines, they bring something to it and won't always agree with the director. That's healthy. 

Locke's fine, because he's understated instead of bombastically ACT-ING. Though I've had two Welsh people tell me they bailed on it because they didn't like his accent. I didn't have that problem though.

Warrior's good. It's a good Tom Hardy vehicle. He's good in Peaky Blinders too.

I can tell you've got a real attachment to him, we just have different tastes in performances. And that's going to have to be ok with you.

Also, since I'm Googling for two: Venom set, Taboo set, and this less annoying, more hilarious bit of gossip: 

It must be tricky when you’re consistently cast as an ass-kicking action hero not to let it go to your head.

Bruce Willis, for example, has played so many army men in films that he genuinely believes he is good at war and could fight like some sort of super-soldier if he ever needed to.

Tom Hardy believes the same thing about himself too – but he has gone one further. Hardy has been telling people that he has actually been recruited by the SAS on a sort of ad hoc basis. Obviously they don’t need him on day-to-day duties, but he claims that they’ve hired him to be on call if shit ever goes down.

Sounds like Extras

Does Hardy really strike anyone as desperate enough to say that? Come on, he's not a cartoon character. I thought he was sort of cool but apparently he's this tragic laughable figure whose acting has plunged to the pitiful depths of the widely acclaimed Oscar nominated role in Oscar winning The Revenant and who goes around telling everyone the SAS have recruited him. So chameleon-like a lot of people who watch The Revenant don't realise he's in it. 

Of course any relatively long posts in defence of someone means you have a real attachment to them, or you're their mum, or you have posters of them on your wall. I'm such a fan I can't be arsed watching all of Peaky Blinders or Taboo even though he's in it. 

There's just only a handful of leading men actors to me that aren't boring. Very few excite or have something extra where they elevate the material by the force of their personality. I'm not really looking forward to the next Hardy film in expectation of some spiritual delicate performance that speaks to my soul, I'm expecting him to be fun to watch. Of the leading men actors of the last 20 years I'd only put Hardy's career second to Gosling in terms of quality of films, quality of roles, range, variety. 

The Venom story is the daily mail although I'd be more concerned if anyone on that film wasn't constantly saying 'this makes no sense'. I find the Taboo one hard to believe given he co wrote it and it's his show that he really wanted to make. 

1 hour ago, Loik V credern said:

Does Hardy really strike anyone as desperate enough to say that? Come on, he's not a cartoon character.

This is, fundamentally, where we disagree.

Fortunately for both of us, none of this matters one jot, and you're likely to have all the Hardy you could want in the future!

6 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

What's this thread for now? It's quite confusing. Anyway, prompted by being in here and noticing Apostle was a Netflix film, I put it on last night. It's.. not very good? It's full of big acting and people pulling faces and doing voices, but there's not quite enough to hang it all on somehow. The scares/shocks don't quite do the business, and some of the ham is almost edible. I did very much enjoy the gate-kicking as @K pointed out, near the end.

It’s a fantastic film, for all the reasons you mention.