17 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Can anyone explain the training, fight moves and scrolls for me?

I bought scrolls from the antique store. The moves are displayed as Crawl Cyclone with ??? at the bottom of the display.  Google tells me that Crawl Cyclone is towards, away, away, A.  

I go to the dojo and fight Fuku-San or go to the park next to the arcade to practice and the move doesn't seem to have any effect. I don't understand what buying the scroll did, or how to add the move to my list.

Go to your inventory, there's a section for scrolls. You can examine each one, and it should say you've "mastered" each one as you look at them.

1 hour ago, ilpostino said:

Go to your inventory, there's a section for scrolls. You can examine each one, and it should say you've "mastered" each one as you look at them.

Right, I think I get it.  What I don't understand now is how you are supposed to know the move before you master it. To explain, I bought 2 scrolls, one of them is Crawl Cyclone which is towards, away, away, kick.  So i realised that this means you press kick and the last away at the same time.  I did this, and now the move has appreared in the list and further use of the move increases the bar, eventually changing the colour to red to show I have mastered it.

So the other scroll was Fire Break Arm or something.  Without googling, how am I supposed to know what the button presses are? I don't see any way to read the scrolls I bought, so am I just expected to bash buttons randomly in the hope that I discover the move, then read on the list to see what it was? I don't get it.  Mind you, I have just googled the move and even knowing what it is, I haven't managed to discover it.

Patch is out today for PS4 and Xbox ! Stuck at work mind so can't test it out yet. The previous US exclusive dynamic theme is now up on UK PSN as well , also free.

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 14:35, dumpster said:

So the other scroll was Fire Break Arm or something.  Without googling, how am I supposed to know what the button presses are? I don't see any way to read the scrolls I bought, so am I just expected to bash buttons randomly in the hope that I discover the move, then read on the list to see what it was? I don't get it.  Mind you, I have just googled the move and even knowing what it is, I haven't managed to discover it.

You read the scrolls by selecting them in the scrolls section of the collection menu. They will then appear in the moves list in the collection menu with the command and it's current level of XP (the bar behind it)

• Upvote 2

I finally unwrapped this over the weekend and was lost in it for four hours straight. It’s still absolutely brilliant. :wub: 

< Insert obligatory ‘I wish this was on Switch’ comment.>

• Upvote 2

Finally found the time this weekend to finish the first one. Really relished in the sentimental final scene where Ryo walks through town as he’s leaving. 

Managed to beat Chai on only the second attempt which was a bit of a surprise considering how shit I am at the fighting part of these games. Looking forward to getting stuck into part two shortly. 

• Upvote 2

I started Shenmue II on Thursday and have played about 10 hours already. Apart from one section where the music is slightly off key I've had no issues. Also it's amazing. So pleased it's just as good as I remembered. 

• Upvote 3

Is it possible to fail these games?  For example, if I can't find the person I'm supposed to talk to in Shenmue I, am I going to miss the boat and be unable to complete it?

I like taking y time with games like this, and the constant running of the clock is unnerving me somewhat.

Theoretically yes, Shenmue 1 has a time limit but it's really, really long. You'll lose more time with a few retries of ("One section that automatically rolls time on a day if you fail!" - Ed) than any of your normal ambling.

3 hours ago, I say said:

Is it possible to fail these games?  For example, if I can't find the person I'm supposed to talk to in Shenmue I, am I going to miss the boat and be unable to complete it?

I like taking y time with games like this, and the constant running of the clock is unnerving me somewhat.

I've heard it's possible to fail the first game if you take too long, but it's such a long time that it's basically an Easter egg. There's a lot of enforced downtime in the game as it is with only a limited amount of plot stuff you can do each day, so you'd have to be deliberately avoiding a lot of stuff to get anywhere near the limit.

When I originally played Shenmue, I completed the game on (in game) Christmas Eve. Always wish I’d held off an extra day and saw Xmas. 

Thats my goal this time!

I made it to Christmas day. I can't remember if I took longer than that, although I definitely didn't reach January. I wasn't exactly rushing either, and spent about a "week" trying to get past a certain point. Annoyingly I originally got past that bit in two attempts, only for a power cut to ruin everything before I could save. :facepalm:

From GameFAQs:

The game starts at November 29, 1986 and requires you to complete it before April 15, 1987 which is a total of 137 in game days

You get a bad/alternate ending if you don't, but it's such a long time, you'd almost have to do it intentionally.

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

I've heard it's possible to fail the first game if you take too long, but it's such a long time that it's basically an Easter egg.

It's *literally* an Easter egg. You have until Easter, in game, to do it.

• Upvote 3

I remember you could intentionally keep getting caught at the docks night after night to get to Easter and see the bad ending.

Still took a while though.

Its probably on YouTube nowadays.

Right.  I was unnerved by the lack of a map (unless I've missed it), having got too comfortable with the maps in Yakuza.

50 minutes ago, Gorf said:

I remember you could intentionally keep getting caught at the docks night after night to get to Easter and see the bad ending.

Still took a while though.

Its probably on YouTube nowadays.

It is indeed! I never know about this. 

• Upvote 2

There is also a bad ending for Shenmue II, so I suppose that means we can expect Shenmue III to carry on that tradition :D

Spoiler

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, I say said:

Right.  I was unnerved by the lack of a map (unless I've missed it), having got too comfortable with the maps in Yakuza.

Theres maps on most street corners, theres no in game mini map, instead you have to zoom in on actual boards with maps on to see the layout. This is even a few times for parts of the story where you are required to go to a specific shop.

Shenmue in the Dragon Engine certainly would have been something interesting. Suppose the usual problem cropped up, even with this more limited remake.

but our understanding is that this video represents the tip of the iceberg and that a significant amount of more advanced work was completed. Whether we'll ever see it remains to be seen, but what we know is that a PC build does exist somewhere out there - and in the same way that foota of the early prototype Saturn version of the original Shenmue emerged some years on, maybe we'll see more of the this remake in the years to come.

I wonder if anybody in the underground collector scene has either of these 2 items?, as they would fetch a good price to the right buyer.

I wonder if that video is a showcase for some pretty high end emulation.  The PS4/Xbox Shenmues are definitely running under emulation.  Every strange quirk and big is still there , the midi music renditions are unbelievably wrong (check out Ryu's motorbike ride near the end of Shenmue 1).

The frame rates on this new video are awful, and I reckon they are emulating the original code, pasting in improvements in realtime. The PS4 etc isn't up to that as a demanding task but it bodes well for the future.  There's been talk on here oh how emulation is becoming a codec to play old games in the same way that Netflix could be considered a codec for movies.  You'd be playing a game like Shenmue with the original code creating the frame, then calling out to a new piece of code that adds shadows and lighting, redraws and replaces primitive 3d models and textures, displays it, then drops back into the original code to run the game, all within one frame.  

According to John, this cancelled remake was actually planned to be a Halo Anniversary style release, so you could swap between the original and the tarted up version. A bit of a shame to dump nearly 2 years worth of work when they realised it would cost too much to complete the total makeover.

I've since learned that this version was intended to include both the original and enhanced graphics with the option to toggle between them. Which would have been a perfect solution, I think.

So not really a Kiwami/RE2make  type of deal, which I think would have probably been better if you want to truly shut up the naysayers, but cost even more to do.

3 hours ago, dumpster said:

I wonder if that video is a showcase for some pretty high end emulation.  The PS4/Xbox Shenmues are definitely running under emulation.  Every strange quirk and big is still there , the midi music renditions are unbelievably wrong (check out Ryu's motorbike ride near the end of Shenmue 1).

The frame rates on this new video are awful, and I reckon they are emulating the original code, pasting in improvements in realtime. The PS4 etc isn't up to that as a demanding task but it bodes well for the future.  There's been talk on here oh how emulation is becoming a codec to play old games in the same way that Netflix could be considered a codec for movies.  You'd be playing a game like Shenmue with the original code creating the frame, then calling out to a new piece of code that adds shadows and lighting, redraws and replaces primitive 3d models and textures, displays it, then drops back into the original code to run the game, all within one frame.  

No, no, no. There's no emulation going on here. Literally no emulation of the Dreamcast hardware at all. 

The released version of the game is a port of the game that's been reverse-engineered to work in a new engine, which apparently didn't give the developers full access to the original source code. 

It's a genuine reverse-engineering feat that they actually got the whole thing held together, and probably a lot of it -- like the AI pathing -- was written in some weird bespoke scripting language... in Japanese. 

Yes, the frame-rates are awful in the new videos but no it's not trying to "emulate in realtime" or something to that effect. It's unfinished, and running accompanying debug support code which you can literal see with the halo's around the NPC's heads. running debug along side game code will instantly eat up resources. This is exactly what every game looks like during development.  

• Upvote 1

It's even more of a frankencode nightmare because Shenmue is clearly based on old tools from the Saturn era (i.e it makes no use of Dreamcast hardware features like mipmapping), and the Saturn had no first-party dev tools, and Sega first-party games were developed with rather spotty version control, and little was archived.

• Upvote 2

A month later I'm still on my Shenmue II playthrough (this game is so much longer than I remembered) have reached the equivelent of the start of the 4th disc and it's been an incredible journey. I was worried the game wouldn't hold up but I'd say it's been my most enjoyable playthrough to date, the save anywhere and instant loading massively transform the experience.

Also the fighting engine is still brilliant. Look how good some of the blended animation are in a nearly twenty year old game? And there's full player control at all times, no canned combos, dedicated reversals, punch, kick and evades, it is so satisfying to play even now. Checkout that bit at 1:46 where I grab him from the back and he elbows me in the head to get free - super impressive stuff! The arm > elbow counter at 2:25 still looks really painful,the reactions really sell it.

• Upvote 3