The Boatman

The City & The City - BBC China Miéville adaptation

Ah, interesting, I read the book a couple of years ago and was pretty gripped, it's very interesting; I wonder how they will explain the border.

It's a great book but I don't envy them in trying to explain or visualise the two cities and the culture. Heck, it's not until near the end of the book that you fully understand how it all works. And half of the mystery of the book is how it slowly reveals the strange world and attitudes in the cities. But interested to see what their take on it is!

• Upvote 2

Has anyone got a link to the trailer?

Anyone who wants to see similar ideas to The City & The City on tv should check out the excellent  Counterpart.

It's very different in many ways (it's very much a cold war conspiracy thriller in tone) but has some very clear influences from Miéville's book.

• Upvote 1

Oh, I saw the advert for this and I thought it was a Cold War thriller! I don’t know the book.

It's a gritty police murder mystery in a sort of cold war city, so yeah. What makes it interesting is the weird fiction/sci fi setting of a single city split into two, "layered" on top of each other, so the people are aware of each other in each city but can't really interact with each other. Sounds mental and confusing, but its very cleverly done in the book and how the police mystery ties into it.

It has struck me recently that with all the discussion of the ‘invisible border’ between Northern Ireland and the Republic post Brexit the book has become weirdly relevant recently. 

• Upvote 2

anybody catch this? I thought it was completely mesmerising. Definitely looking forward to the next episode. 

I really enjoyed the first episode. It's been years since I read the book but it's starting to come back to me (I always remembered the basics). I do think the narration was a misstep. The book organically teaches you the concepts as it progresses by the characters referring to them naturally as they would if it was real. The narration being inserted to info dump smacks of underestimating the audience which I'm almost never a fan of.

According to the voiceover on the credits all the episodes are on iplayer right now.

Still one of my fave books ever.

Really good this, a great adaptation of the book. I liked it alot.

Definitely worth watching, especially if you like a crime drama in a very quirky setting.