Jump to content
Stanshall

Abandoned Games (2018 Edition)

Recommended Posts

I did like the game (which surprised me, having found the tone of the previous entries pretty embarassing) but the unlocks and equipment part of it is way out of control. For an action game you spend a pretty insane amount of time looking at the menu. Not everything needs crafting, equipment micromanagement, RPG-style progression and in-depth skill trees.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rsdio said:

I did like the game (which surprised me, having found the tone of the previous entries pretty embarassing) but the unlocks and equipment part of it is way out of control. For an action game you spend a pretty insane amount of time looking at the menu. Not everything needs crafting, equipment micromanagement, RPG-style progression and in-depth skill trees.

 

I don't know if I got a bit obsessive compulsive over it, but it all just felt completely unnecessary, "oh every other game has it, so we've got to do something similar". I really wish they'd have given me all the cool moves straight off the bat, and just told a great story over the time. None of the unlocked skill moves (as far as I got, which is admittedly not very far) had any real noticeable impact, and going through all the faff of upgrading my battle axe for 9% extra damage just made absolutely no perceivable difference to how I played, or how much I cared about anything.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Witcher 3 (about 6 hours in - just found the first city)

Assassins Creed: Unity (barely touched)

Assassins Creed: Syndicate (not touched at all)

Uncharted 4 (probably 75% through)

The Last of Us (about 2 hours in)

Horizon: Zero Dawn (about 2 hours in)

 

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: I do not dislike ANY of these games.  In fact, the only one I've not started is AC: Syndicate.  And it's not that I don't WANT to play them - but where the fuck do you lot find the time to play on them?!  Witcher 3 for example is amazing, I love the Uncharted games and H:ZD looks gorgeous.

 

These are all games with 3rd person RPG elements to them.  And I bloody love them but I think the problem now is that these fuckers are just TOO big.  They're too involving - I'm a single parent and I have my kids for 50% of the time.  When I have them, I'm always thinking 'I'll have a few hours on this game tonight' but once I get home, meet the children, cook, clean, wash, iron, do their stories and get them into bed, I'm just exhausted meaning losing myself in an immersive game like the ones above just doesn't appeal.  A lot of the time, I just stick the telly on!

 

When I DON'T have the kids, that's when I actually socialise with friends etc so I'm not in all that often.

 

My gaming now is normally a quick match on FIFA, a couple of games on BF1 or - most often - Sea of Thieves which I find quite relaxing.

 

It's annoying me.  I won't be buying BFV, the latest Assassins Creed game(s) or RDR 2 as soon as they're out simply because I just know they'll add to the above pile.

 

I'm hoping I can make a dent in the above list over autumn!  I think I'm just becoming a shit gamer as I approach middle age....

  • Upvote 4
  • Empathy 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Valkyria Chronicles 4 - I've tried and tried to get into this series but I always get about 4 chapters in and can't get over how clunky everything seems, it just doesn't feel satisfying to play. It doesn't seem to click like other games like X-COM or Final Fantasy Tactics do. The cut-scenes go on far too long as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Strangelite said:

God of War

 

See? YOU SEE? this is what happens when you delay playing a game after a couple of months after the release / launch day hype. After an initially quite cool opening, this game just spirals into being absolutely mundane pretty quickly. It has the most impenetrable user interface / upgrade / skill tree / weapon interface I've ever encountered in any game, with endless tutorial and hint text's explaining "no honest this will be really good!" when you don't actually have any materials, don't really seem to be finding any and don't really care because the combat is so boring and easy it hardly matters.

 

I got to the bit where I was pushing around some bridge to go and visit the nine realms of doo-berry-whatsit and I just fell asleep thinking "god this is dull" - the idea of spending my time wandering around 9 more worlds of this going from set-piece-to-set-piece with loads of dull combat in between just made me think this isn't for me. The most mad thing is that people actually compare this to Naughty Dog's output, like there's even a remote comparison. It's not even on the same ball-park, no amount of super hero set pieces will ever convince me this is any good. Next.

By comparison, I went back to this at the weekend and am massively enjoying it on my second attempt. First time round I didn't like it at all

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get the hate for GoW's upgrade system at all. Seemed perfectly straightforward to me. @Strangelite, what difficulty were you playing on? If you find the combat boring then you might want to turn it up a notch, because I don't know how anyone could call it boring. It's the best part of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I don't get the hate for GoW's upgrade system at all. Seemed perfectly straightforward to me. @Strangelite, what difficulty were you playing on? If you find the combat boring then you might want to turn it up a notch, because I don't know how anyone could call it boring. It's the best part of the game.

 

I'm playing it on "Normal" - so maybe that is a problem, fair do's.. I dunno what it is about the inventory / upgrade system that urked me so much, i think they just had to call everything by some random name just to obfuscate it a lot more than it needed to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Witcher 3 (about 6 hours in - just found the first city)

Assassins Creed: Unity (barely touched)

Assassins Creed: Syndicate (not touched at all)

Uncharted 4 (probably 75% through)

The Last of Us (about 2 hours in)

Horizon: Zero Dawn (about 2 hours in)

 

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: I do not dislike ANY of these games.  In fact, the only one I've not started is AC: Syndicate.  And it's not that I don't WANT to play them - but where the fuck do you lot find the time to play on them?!  Witcher 3 for example is amazing, I love the Uncharted games and H:ZD looks gorgeous.

 

These are all games with 3rd person RPG elements to them.  And I bloody love them but I think the problem now is that these fuckers are just TOO big.  They're too involving - I'm a single parent and I have my kids for 50% of the time.  When I have them, I'm always thinking 'I'll have a few hours on this game tonight' but once I get home, meet the children, cook, clean, wash, iron, do their stories and get them into bed, I'm just exhausted meaning losing myself in an immersive game like the ones above just doesn't appeal.  A lot of the time, I just stick the telly on!

 

When I DON'T have the kids, that's when I actually socialise with friends etc so I'm not in all that often.

 

My gaming now is normally a quick match on FIFA, a couple of games on BF1 or - most often - Sea of Thieves which I find quite relaxing.

 

It's annoying me.  I won't be buying BFV, the latest Assassins Creed game(s) or RDR 2 as soon as they're out simply because I just know they'll add to the above pile.

 

I'm hoping I can make a dent in the above list over autumn!  I think I'm just becoming a shit gamer as I approach middle age....

 

As a single dad too, I can sympathise with your situation. Many a day I've looked forward to a bit of videogame action after the bedtime routine only to feel too shattered to bother. Maybe it's an age thing too - I'm late 40s - and feel very snoozy by 9pm.

 

But come on, you are not helping yourself by having so many games on the back burner!

 

All the games you mentioned deserve singular focus and appreciation. Why buy so many epic games at the same time?

 

I'd finish Uncharted 4, then move on to Horizon and not play anything else until you get through those two.

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

 

As a single dad too, I can sympathise with your situation. Many a day I've looked forward to a bit of videogame action after the bedtime routine only to feel too shattered to bother. Maybe it's an age thing too - I'm late 40s - and feel very snoozy by 9pm.

 

But come on, you are not helping yourself by having so many games on the back burner!

 

All the games you mentioned deserve singular focus and appreciation. Why buy so many epic games at the same time?

 

I'd finish Uncharted 4, then move on to Horizon and not play anything else until you get through those two.

 

Agree... also think there is a temptation to "play everything" that is hyped... You simply have to take a game at a time and work through it.. there is no rush... :) Usually I have a couple of games on the go... One deeper story type game and an arcade style game that I can drop in/out off at will (OnRush was this recently, now it will be Forza Horizon 4).

 

Think also as you get older you get less tollerant of most games having you running around doing collect-a-thons or especially with the large RPGs moving through worlds that just seem repetitive and with missions and tasks that feel more like hard work with little reward than just plain old fun. This is what happened with me recently on Zelda...

 

Uncharted 4 is great though - love its chapter based structure - perfect length and good pick up and play for an hour or so at a time. When I played through each session I'd complete a chapter... book like... :)

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Boothjan said:

I'm hoping I can make a dent in the above list over autumn!  I think I'm just becoming a shit gamer as I approach middle age....

 

Mate, that's a meaty list of games designed for the long stretch. Try a few of the shorter games out there, Firewatch, Virginia, Ethan Carter and Edith Finch. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Boothjan @Mawdlin @MattyP

I'm another of the 'Dad's Club' with literally one dozy hour per evening reserved for gaming before walking the dog and then bed.

My advice is to stick to one game and get good at it. You want to avoid anything with too much menu work. I also had to give up on Witcher 3 after being blown away by the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer. I've no doubt it's a great game, but any kind of questing or organising of items is enough to send me to sleep with a controller in my hands.

I'm currently playing Bayonetta on my PC and having to unlock everything for a third time. Once I've unlocked Hard mode I'll take a break and start something retro, maybe Wipeout 3.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to add that I finished Horizon: Zero Dawn recently and speaking as a 'dozy dad' I felt it had a great narrative drive, despite the side-questing options.

 

I generally give up on the latest Far Cry or Assassins Creed once I start feeling the cycle repeating.

 

But Horizon was a bit different. A game with a mature, propulsive story and excellent machine combat.

 

I reckon you could ignore all the side-quests and collecting and finish it inside a week of moderate gaming.

 

(Although I did thouroughly enjoy some of the collecting and sight-seeing).

 

Definitely finish Uncharted 4 first though.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fallows said:

@Boothjan @Mawdlin @MattyP

I'm another of the 'Dad's Club' with literally one dozy hour per evening reserved for gaming before walking the dog and then bed.

My advice is to stick to one game and get good at it. You want to avoid anything with too much menu work. I also had to give up on Witcher 3 after being blown away by the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer. I've no doubt it's a great game, but any kind of questing or organising of items is enough to send me to sleep with a controller in my hands.

I'm currently playing Bayonetta on my PC and having to unlock everything for a third time. Once I've unlocked Hard mode I'll take a break and start something retro, maybe Wipeout 3.

 

:) Think to compound the problem... have Xbox One, PS4, Switch and PC... really.  I like having the choice and don't want to miss any exclusives but... maybe I need to start to consolidate my gaming devices perhaps...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Strangelite said:

God of War

 

I got to the bit where I was pushing around some bridge to go and visit the nine realms of doo-berry-whatsit and I just fell asleep thinking "god this is dull" - the idea of spending my time wandering around 9 more worlds of this going from set-piece-to-set-piece with loads of dull combat in between just made me think this isn't for me. The most mad thing is that people actually compare this to Naughty Dog's output, like there's even a remote comparison. It's not even on the same ball-park, no amount of super hero set pieces will ever convince me this is any good. Next.

 

I wasn’t feeling it at this point and considered sacking it off too. Just afterwards you unlock more skills and runes, and the combat goes from rote to glorious. The upgrading makes sense when you click that you aren’t upgrading Kratos - only his gear.

 

The final act is fantastic and why people rightly compare the storytelling to a Naughty Dog game. It’s wonderful stuff. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Vin said:

 

Mate, that's a meaty list of games designed for the long stretch. Try a few of the shorter games out there, Firewatch, Virginia, Ethan Carter and Edith Finch. 

 

I think the culinary term for this is 'eyes bigger than your belly'.

 

I should look at the positives - I REALLY don't need to buy any new games of this ilk for a good long while.

 

When's Elder Scrolls 6 out....? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unravel (Xbox)

 

I don't buy games I don't like, it's actually a difficult thing to do especially seeing as I'm usually well late to the party (this was £3.75 by the time I picked it up, in April) and this should indeed be right up my street. Twee little platformer with light puzzling and a warm fuzzy feeling. And what was expected is what I've got. But my god, it's just such a chore to play. The physics of it is, at times, just plain irritating where knowing what I want or need to do and not being able to do it just isn't fun. To top it off I just got to a bit with some mosquitoes stopping you jumping properly while you ineffectively swat them out of the way, mess it up and you can still end up in the swamp and have to restart that bit, again. I kept thinking about ploughing through it as it's fairly short, but it comes to mind with gritted teeth each time. Compare it to Bloodborne that I just started where I've been murdered a few times 15 minutes in and my PS4 is near dead but despite that I'm desperate to get back to it. If I'm not feeling that from a game, why the fuck am I playing it. Deleted. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stories: Tales of Destiny (PC)

 

Yeah, this is dull. It's kind of an ARPG with the hook being that you replay the story 24 times but it has lots of branching sections (which is why it has so many 'stories' to complete).

 

Interesting premise, but the combat is incredibly dull, the  RPG elements are very light and it does the whole narrator-thing that I hated so much in Bastion and Transistor (though not as full-on annoying as those titles). I lasted an hour or so with it and that was more than enough. The gameplay loop wasn't anywhere near fun or engaging enough to make me want to keep on, despite it being a short game.

 

In days past I probably would've carried on out of some stubbornness but with more limited gaming time now I'm making better choices - and this is certainly one I'm happy to get rid of. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dead Cells

 

After a great start, this quickly became very dull when it became apparent that your skills and grenades become way too powerful and useful, and melee attacks matter less and less, as well as essentially becoming a lot more dangerous and risky in comparison. 

 

Like most Roguelites it failed when the repetition began.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.