Sloth

Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 - When you're alone and life is making you lonely, You can always go, Nuketown!

It’s fun enough but it’s the same old COD of the last few years as far as my 2 hours of play can see. My kids will play it i’m sure in amongst fortnite but I don’t see it lasting.  Waste of £60 as far as i’m concerned. 

thing is as soon as you start playing it does feel like the same old cod but with far better sound effects and decent maps, the menu system isn't explained and I had a miserable time until I figured out changing classes rather than operators.

However, start playing control and it comes alive, sure its overwatch with cod gunplay and a sprinkle of Rainbow 6, but the class system and equipment turn this into far more than the usual headless chicken run around. The addition of visible health bars is so helpful and can decide whether you see a gunfight through or run,  and the personal stimpak gives you the chance to bail from a fight and heal.

Had some amazing team matches were everyone knew their role, blast shield defences with barbed wire traps and trip mines enclosing the point. Its the biggest reboot since cod 4 this and when everyone figures out the equipment and operator roles,  it will offer the slower paced tactics I have always wanted back.

Had some great games with smithstock and bleeders, and I'm sure they'll praise it as much.

• Upvote 2

This was actually quite a decent overview in to how stagnant CoD has actually become over the years. I like the quote from Bezos that "obsess over customers, not your competitors" (in CoD's case chasing Fortnite, Overwatch, etc). 

But then again Bezos is a bit of a cunt himself so... ya. 

Wow I never knew activision had a patent whereby players who didn’t purchase in game items were pitted against high ranking players who had, in order to incentivize them to make purchases themselves! 

That video above nails it for me. COD is so fucking stale. Preorder cancelled. 

I mean I'm still getting it as it's the only franchise where I'm consistently on top of the scoreboard and I need that sort of validation in my life. :P

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

I’m pretty terrible at it but seems good, always takes me a while to get back into COD twitch shooting but I had lots of fun - it’s just a sugary snack you know is bad for you but you can’t stop eating!

Played control for the whole of the beta, really enjoyed it, the maps offered were very well designed with plenty of decent sight lines and verticality. As mentioned the visible health bar and stim pack are a really positive addition.

Body armour has to go as it just doesn't feel right and offers far to much defence,  obviously, but whoever is packing it, has such a massive advantage that it unbalances the whole game.

Based on what I played its better than black ops III  which I loved and think the new equipment adds a nice level of tactical play,  when squads get organised solo players will find it very difficult to overcome them and think this is forcing an overwatch kind of team experience, which is no bad thing imo.

day one for me.

• Upvote 1

On 03/08/2018 at 14:31, rafaqat said:

Well, they can sod off. I hope fortnite fever carries on and dents their stupid sales. Bought the base version to placate the kids on that front.  All their mates have agreed to buy just the base version. Lets see how long that lasts. 

Well THAT lasted 3 days before my son asked if we can upgrade to the digital Deluxe version.  fml. 

On 06/08/2018 at 17:37, KriessG said:

It seems fine so far but I had one game where everyone was bunny hopping around every corner? That was rubbish.

They’ve fixed it so bunny hopping is no longer a thing. And made a ton of other changes.

Heist mode is decent.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

They’ve fixed it so bunny hopping is no longer a thing. And made a ton of other changes.

Heist mode is decent.

Great to hear :) I’ll be having another go today to check it out.

So am I right in that this doesn't have a story/campaign mode of any kind? A bit of a pisstake if you ask me for a full price game. I recall Star Wars Battlefront getting loads of shit for the same, but not this.

• Downvote 1

I enjoyed WWII apart from the OP snipers which ruined it

I’ve been playing the Xbox beta of this. The snipers are the same but every other weapon has been nerfed against them by the TTK.

dragons-den-peter-jones-1238275.jpg

I enjoyed this and the games modes add a lot of variety. Agree there were hitreg issues where you unload a clip into someone and they dont go down.

The levels do look a bit dated and they’re small and boxey. 

After playing it tactically, I don’t see why I’d ever choose it over Siege. I kind of had my annual COD fill from the beta.

I found this very underwhelming on all fronts.  Was hoping to rekindle my love of the series after a few years out....but nope, that's not happening.  My takeaway is that is has been incredibly static in the years since I last played.  The maps felt average at best, but that is a personal thing I suppose. 

One final thought.  Is it me, or is the graphics engine really showing its age now?  

22 minutes ago, Capp said:

One final thought.  Is it me, or is the graphics engine really showing its age now?  

Nah. 

People keep saying this when it comes to CoD but the engine is constantly updated with new tech and features. Because it's a yearly release the improvements might be less obvious to most (and of course because we're on the internet where people love to post their uninformed and hyperbolic nonsense everywhere). Considering they're even doing a large scale BR mode I'd say they've got a very flexible platform at this point that is more than capable of handling crazy graphical features while still maintaining a high frame rate on consoles. 

I keep repeating this but the only games that look 'dated' these days are those that lack solid art. Recent games like Island of Nyne, PUBG, Deathgarden and Earthfall are prime examples of this. Compare those to something like Vampyr which might lack all of the crazy bells and whistles you see in other titles, yet still manages to outshine most new releases simply on the basis of strong art direction.