strider

Help me pick Ten PlayStation games

37 minutes ago, Ianos said:

If you're in the market for Not Using Discs, the best 'pure' emulation setup is to get a PSP Go, component it up to the telly* and use a Dualshock 3 via Bluetooth, then play PSX games that way. The PSP doubles the res of PSone games, but nothing more than that - basically if you don't have an OG PlayStation to hand (or if you do, you don't have the ability to hook it up to whatever TV you have), the Go is - surprisingly - the best way to do things from an accuracy perspective. The other PSP models don't do Blooty connections for a controller, so are out.

And you don't have to just play games available on PSN, but nobody would ever condone that because it's naughty.

The only major drawback to this method is the Go can only be connected to the TV or charging, not both at the same time, so you have to factor that in.

*Obviously CRT is better, but this way you can wang it through most modern TVs

How's that superior to the Vita TV for example?

1 minute ago, gossi the dog said:

How's that superior to the Vita TV for example?

Superior from an accuracy perspective - no post-processing, no mucking about with extra bells and whistles. It doubles the resolution, while everything else from the original game is left as-is (apart from some quicker loading times and no skipping in FMV sequences, which is obviously sacrilege because what's a PSX game without random, irritating skipping?).

If you just want emulation and accuracy isn't a concern then yeah, PS3/PSTV is yr best bet for on the telly play. Because convenience.

• Upvote 2

Slight hijack, but I'm thinking of selling my chipped UK slim silver PS2 (Matrix Infinity chip), plus component cable, etc. What sort of money would it go for?

(And does anyone want it?)

19 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

Slight hijack, but I'm thinking of selling my chipped UK slim silver PS2 (Matrix Infinity chip), plus component cable, etc. What sort of money would it go for?

(And does anyone want it?)

You should check what revision it is, the 3000 series are considered the most reliable. That might give it some extra selling potential. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/27/2018 at 14:28, strider said:

Yes dad :P

In all seriousness, though you've not really saying anything different to what @nakamura says to me most weeks.

As you've probably guess I love the thrill of picking up games more than anything else. I go into things with the best of intentions and then I get bored or sidetracked. I'm only human after all.

I actually quite like the suggestion of five games, but I'll probably adjust it so that I pick up a new game when I complete an existing one...

I've just had Dino Crisis 1 and 2 turn up in the post and I already have Strider and Einhander so let's see how I get on with those.

I've also been pruning down my other games because I tend to fall into the trap of buying games because they're well received, not because I'll actually play them.

Well, look at it this way you likely have a bit more living space than I do. :lol:

Well you are off to a good start with Strider and Einhander are great game, haven't got a copy of Einhander myself, but I've played it a few times. I know a lot of people love the Dino Crisis games and they are just a reskin of Resident Evil in may ways (A series I enjoy) I never really got on with them.

51 minutes ago, Riven said:

Well, look at it this way you likely have a bit more living space than I do. :lol:

Well you are off to a good start with Strider and Einhander are great game, haven't got a copy of Einhander myself, but I've played it a few times. I know a lot of people love the Dino Crisis games and they are just a reskin of Resident Evil in may ways (A series I enjoy) I never really got on with them.

To be fair I just thought Dino Crisis was okay. The second one is amazing though, amazingly fast-paced, lots of action and a decent variety of dinos.

I've completed Strider and Strider 2 and I can get halfway on Einhander with all 10 credits (it's bloody tough).

Had Driver and Gran Turismo turn up today courtesy of @MikeBeaver so I'm going to try and get out of the car park tonight :P

6 hours ago, strider said:

Had Driver [...] turn up today courtesy of @MikeBeaver so I'm going to try and get out of the car park tonight :P

It's do-able.

As is The President's Run (the final 'level'). I did it back in the day, and I expect you to do it now. Don't disappoint me...

On 05/03/2018 at 13:05, Lorfarius said:

GTA London is a must! But you need GTA to play it. Also Deathtrap Dungeon.  Bit clunky but really good dungeon design.

They also released a standalone version of GTA London :-)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, smac said:

It's do-able.

As is The President's Run (the final 'level'). I did it back in the day, and I expect you to do it now. Don't disappoint me...

I don't remember finding the car park as difficult as most suggest it was but that final level was a bastard, did it in the end though

Got out of the fucking car park after about 15 attempts. Christ it's brutal. I wonder how many quit on it when it first came out. Looking forward to that last level 8-)

Vagrant Story! Best damn RPG ever and in some ways a bit of a precursor to Dark Souls.

It's fucking amazing. Bastard hard, but amazing. Read up on the weapons system so you don't scupper yourself.

All I remember from Vagrant Story is having to have a specific type of weapon for each enemy (spears for dragons, axes for beasts, etc., and RIGIDLY sticking to this plan, or you WILL fail!) and there being a ridiculous final boss that has a five minute long attack animation that WILL definitely kill you unless you press a button prompt with split second accuracy right at the end to defend yourself.

And I still have a replay of Driver's final level on one of my PS1 memory cards, in which I pretty much flew through the air and landed at the destination with a sliver of health left.

Man, I was much better at games as a teenager, or just loads more patient. :lol:

I played Vagrant Story without really understanding it, so ended up stuck after a good 15 hours. I only bothered with the dagger, and then hit a wall when the dagger barely caused any damage to some enemies.

I have a feeling that Driver was one of those games where I reached the final level but never finished.

On 05/03/2018 at 14:27, Ianos said:

If you're in the market for Not Using Discs, the best 'pure' emulation setup is to get a PSP Go, component it up to the telly* and use a Dualshock 3 via Bluetooth, then play PSX games that way. The PSP doubles the res of PSone games, but nothing more than that - basically if you don't have an OG PlayStation to hand (or if you do, you don't have the ability to hook it up to whatever TV you have), the Go is - surprisingly - the best way to do things from an accuracy perspective. The other PSP models don't do Blooty connections for a controller, so are out.

And you don't have to just play games available on PSN, but nobody would ever condone that because it's naughty.

The only major drawback to this method is the Go can only be connected to the TV or charging, not both at the same time, so you have to factor that in.

*Obviously CRT is better, but this way you can wang it through most modern TVs

I have a couple of PSP 2000s and the cable to connect them to my CRT. Can I use a PS3 controller with one of those? Via a cable or whatever?

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

I have a couple of PSP 2000s and the cable to connect them to my CRT. Can I use a PS3 controller with one of those? Via a cable or whatever?

Maybe with a hack, I'm not sure - but it's definitely not officially supported. Not entirely sure pre-GO PSPs even had Bluetooth.

On 06/03/2018 at 21:59, wev said:

I don't remember finding the car park as difficult as most suggest it was but that final level was a bastard, did it in the end though

I've said this a few times:

I beat the car park level first time years ago. I was then really surprised to hear of people having difficulty doing it, so revisited it again more recently. Spent a couple of hours swearing at the game before giving up.

• Upvote 1

Such a good game. My favourite thing (and I think this required cheats or something) was to use the movie editor mode (or was that the sequel?) And turn the number of police cars up to the maximum and their aggression up to the maximum which would result in your car being launched out if the landscape box and just floating around in the sky, some mates and I used to time how long each of us could last

• Upvote 1

On 05/03/2018 at 12:55, strider said:

I've finally selected the ten games to kick-off my PlayStation collection.

gran turismo 2

I think I've missed what you're playing the games on, but if it's PS3 get over to GTPlanet and grab the "perfect start" save file. It's all licences gold and no races run. Saves you working through the licence tests and get a you straight into the meat of the game.

10 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

I think I've missed what you're playing the games on, but if it's PS3 get over to GTPlanet and grab the "perfect start" save file. It's all licences gold and no races run. Saves you working through the licence tests and get a you straight into the meat of the game.

I'm playing on my chipped ps2 :)

On 3/8/2018 at 17:19, Nathan Wind said:

I'm intrigued.  Never played Driver but I have it sat up in the retro room.  I'ma have to see what all this car park fuss is about.

It's gonna fuck you up. The fifteen year old me must have had the dexterity skills of the fucking Buddha himself. 

2 hours ago, Vin said:

It's gonna fuck you up. The fifteen year old me must have had the dexterity skills of the fucking Buddha himself. 

Dodged it, I could have sworn I had it in the pile but it would seem I’m mistaken. I might well order a copy though.

55 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Dodged it, I could have sworn I had it in the pile but it would seem I’m mistaken. I might well order a copy though.

It's £1.99 on PSN (playable on PS3, psp or Vita)) unlesspecifically want the disc version