Capwn

Memories of old childhood gaming TVs

I know, I've only gone and made another amazing thread. Televisions, did you have a particular tv that became part of your gaming DNA? For me it's this one;

image.png.369e9abb3f934713f1058be8d6f4cd2a.png

Mine was yellow too as it was originally my parents who smoked but they gave it to me when I was about 5 when I got a spectrum 48K for xmas. It's kind of mad that for so many years I played coloured games on a black and white tv. It actually stayed with me for several years, I remember using it for my SEGA master system too. I remember there would be these HOLY MAGICAL times (like xmas, birthdays etc) when my parents would let me plug my speccy/master system into their colour TV in the living room.  

Remember RF cables eh? Ah, those were the days. 

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Capwn said:

I know, I've only gone and made another amazing thread. Televisions, did you have a particular tv that became part of your gaming DNA? For me it's this one;

image.png.369e9abb3f934713f1058be8d6f4cd2a.png

Mine was yellow too as it was originally my parents who smoked but they gave it to me when I was about 5 when I got a spectrum 48K for xmas. It's kind of mad that for so many years I played coloured games on a black and white tv. It actually stayed with me for several years, I remember using it for my SEGA master system too. I remember there would be these HOLY MAGICAL times (like xmas, birthdays etc) when my parents would let me plug my speccy/master system into their colour TV in the living room.  

Remember RF cables eh? Ah, those were the days. 

I had that exact same TV for my spectrum! Just looking at that picture I can still feel the "click" of the on/ volume switch. I had smoker parents too so it was the same colour also.

The living room TV that I was occasionally allowed to use was a Ferguson, too. 

• Upvote 3

I had this rather than a TV which I was probably disappointed with at the time, but it was actually pretty great.

CM8833monitor01.jpg.ed8ed827936ca868091ff61a8c01cd24.jpg

Best thing was that you could easily stretch the image out with the knobs on the front for games that had massive borders (which was a lot of games, since I had an ST, then a Mega Drive). SCART input too! My parents didn't know much about that stuff so I guess they (and I) just got lucky with it.

Even late into my teens it was serving me well at my dad's where my ST also lived.. I'd often boot Sensible Soccer up while I was over there.

• Upvote 1

The TV I had in my room was a colour Grandstand model (I think) that had push buttons for the channels (9 of them iirc) and you had to tune each channel individually by lifting a flap and using a little orange stick. I had that until I left home in 2002 and finally upgraded to something with a SCART socket.

6 minutes ago, Rsdio said:

I had this rather than a TV which I was probably disappointed with at the time, but it was actually pretty great.

CM8833monitor01.jpg.ed8ed827936ca868091ff61a8c01cd24.jpg

Best thing was that you could easily stretch the image out with the knobs on the front for games that had massive borders (which was a lot of games, since I had an ST, then a Mega Drive). SCART input too! My parents didn't know much about that stuff so I guess they (and I) just got lucky with it.

Even late into my teens it was serving me well at my dad's where my ST also lived.. I'd often boot Sensible Soccer up while I was over there.

We had one of those! It was fucking great. Very versatile.

This has just reminded me that for years I was playing games on a black and white TV! All my spectrum days, (and before that Binatone but that’s b&w anyway) up until 1986, which coincided with getting a C64. I had a crappy b&w in my bedroom. The screen would go blank every so often and you had to put it on its side and whack it to get the picture back.

In the mid 90s I inherited and early 80s portable colour TV that I used with my Playstation until it blew up.

I wish I had a photo handy, but I used a 14 inch colour doohicky which I'm pretty sure had a little tuning knob attached to it to find whateer channel you were interested in. It had four buttons for them, but you could also use the knob to scan through available frequencies.

Not that those mattered - it was a gaming TV and occasional VHS conduit.

I had a Goldstar 14 inch TV, and an Aiwa midi hifi / cd player. I had a composite cable for the SNES, which went into the Aux on the Aiwa for stereo sound. The cable moved on to my N64 when that came along, and the SNES went back to RF.

It was switched for a bigger (maybe a 21 inch?) TV, the old one from our living room, which I had for a few months until my brothers TV died and he bought the big one from me (there is 12 years between us so he was a working adult when I was still a young teen!) when I went back to the 14. I actually preferred the 14 anyway!

Getting to play on the living room TV was a rarity for me!

On a side note, the Aiwa was replaced 2 or 3 weeks ago. At 22 years old, it was showing some signs of its age, with a few bits not working...

Here it is in my dining room 3 weeks back ;)

5E440899-72BC-4FEE-BE8E-23AC31FD778C.jpeg

• Upvote 3

When the GameCube was released I was in my late teens and working for EB and made a point of buying the same TV that Nintendo used on the GC kiosk.

It was a Panasonic 21" TV and was bloody brilliant!

$_86.JPG

• Upvote 1

this was my first:

PRODPIC-1640.jpg

Amazeballs.  I remember slightly detuning the channel to get a softer image and thought it looked AMAZING. 

I also remember using one of these to record music from Super R-Type to listen on my pretend walkman. 

d8210.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Upvote 3

I was in that specific Matsui club too - though it wasn't specifically a gaming TV; it was our only TV until I was comfortably in my teens at which point we got... another identical TV! Which promptly went in my mum and her partner's room, so there still wasn't a gaming TV.

That didn't really matter to me though; long before that point I'd inherited my dad's Atari ST which had its own dedicated monitor(!), and later would get his Pentium 2 200 and its ancient 14" monitor (which would soon find further use as the screen for my Dreamcast). For me the Saturn and Xbox were really the only consoles I ever played regularly on an actual TV growing up, everything else was monitor based.

• Upvote 1

I think my first was a General Electric. 21 inch, second hand, when TV cases were still largely wood and the only input was RF. Buggered if I can find a picture though. Lasted many years.

[edit]

This looks pretty like it, although I don't think it's quite right

a10eec58d0a568cc838e2a685065e248.png

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, clippa said:

Can't find the exact one but it was similar to this, black and white and red all over.

red-bw-tv.jpg.cf3a5ac241f6e4a02dca749d3343b237.jpg

You had to turn the dial to tune in to the channels and it had a big wire hoop on it that you had to bend about to get decent reception and when you clicked it off the picture swallowed itself into a little dot that sometimes would stay there for ages and make a humming noise.

I grew up a black and white TV much like that one, with volume and tuning knobs. But the case was a lot more orange than red.

Obviously I'd plug my consoles into the downstairs colour TV whenever I could, but that B&W set was the one that stayed in my bedroom through the ZX Spectrum, C64, Master System and Mega Drive.

At one point in the Mega Drive era I inherited the old downstairs colour TV... but it died after a while and so it was back to the black and white set for me. :(

To give some idea how long it stayed in use, I was still using it as my bedroom gaming TV when my friend brought his PlayStation round with his copy of GTA1!

It finally got replaced with a new Orion 14" portable at Xmas '98, which I got alongside my Saturn.

1 hour ago, teddymeow said:

When the GameCube was released I was in my late teens and working for EB and made a point of buying the same TV that Nintendo used on the GC kiosk.

It was a Panasonic 21" TV and was bloody brilliant!

$_86.JPG

I bought that exact TV on forum recommendation. One of the best CRTs you could buy for the price. My parents still have it I think.

I had a CRT with a little hole in the back where you could stick a screwdriver and turn it to stretch/shrink the screen vertically. I glued a matchstick to the little knob inside so I had a TV where a simple twiddle made every game full screen, regardless of how bad the PAL conversion was!

• Upvote 1

I can’t remember what telly it was but I can remember it wasn’t mine. Whenever I wanted to play games I had to nick the portable TV from my parents’ bedroom and it was a bit shit. The image used to jump and go fuzzy and you’d have to hit it (with exactly the right force) to stabilise it.

Other than that, we had a tiny old black and white, and the Bang and Olufsen with wooden surround in the front room (which my dad wouldn’t let us use for games because it would “ruin it” - also he was always on it flicking between channels).

Obe thing I really miss is “the game chair”. It was a really old wooden swivel office chair my dad  inherited from his first job. Looked like something from the 30s or 40s but was really comfortable.

Man, it's been so fun hassling my brothers to see if they can help me find my second gaming telly, I'm 90% sure it was one of these, my mum and dad surprised us with it one summer in the 90s, I remember street fighter looked so much more amazing on a 20" set!  :wub:

myg11tv-1024x707.jpg

The first telly I ever bought with my own cash was one of these bad boys, second hand from my line manager at Currys back in late 90s, just before I went to uni.. 50 quid or something.  It could handle proper RGB, PlayStation looked sick with a proper RGB lead.  Such a set, man! 29" inches of pure CRT amaze

100_for_sony_29_kirara_basso_tv_model_kv

2 hours ago, APM said:

$_86.JPG

Hmm, maybe mine was a Ferguson as that looks exactly like mine but mine was cream. It got to the point where I had to hammer the button with my fist to make it stay on.

Even had my Dreamcast on that which meant I couldn't always play PSO with my mates as it only output at 50hz, I'd have to wait till my step dad went to bed so I could hook it up to the big Panasonic downstairs

2 hours ago, APM said:

$_86.JPG

That looks familiar!! I can remember the power button was spring  loaded and ours came loose and used to shoot across the carpet

• Upvote 1

Anyone else's parents circa 80s/90s like my dad and convinced that plugging in consoles would break TVs if used too long? 

My dad was weird. 

Still is. He gets funny about me connecting my phone to the wifi Ffs. 

I had that Ferguson in the OP. It emitted an ambient hum when turned off but still plugged in, that was so loud at night it kept my mum awake on the other side of the house. Also, I had to resort to jamming a 2 pence piece into the side of it because it buzzed with the sound.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, robdood said:

Anyone else's parents circa 80s/90s like my dad and convinced that plugging in consoles would break TVs if used too long? 

Yes! What was that all about eh? I think it was a mixture of two things;

1) the living room colour tv being an expensive luxury that was a TELEVISION. It's marketing as something to watch  tv/films on so it seemed dangerous to use it with something alien like a computer/console.

2) they feared that you'd be playing games during Coronation street etc so the 'risk' factor of the console breaking the tv became a naturally perfect way to justify them getting to watch Corrie.

Although part of me also believes that there was some kind of precaution in manuals saying not to play games too long on televisions as it might burn an image into the screen? I thought that was more modern televisions though where if you were have the same image displayed for hours and hours it would burn into the screen?

Did anyones console/computer ever really break a TV? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Yes! What was that all about eh? I think it was a mixture of two things;

1) the living room colour tv being an expensive luxury that was a TELEVISION. It's marketing as something to watch  tv/films on so it seemed dangerous to use it with something alien like a computer/console.

2) they feared that you'd be playing games during Coronation street etc so the 'risk' factor became a naturally perfect way to justify them getting to watch Corrie.

I think he was just a bit of a control freak tbh. A trait I subconsciously inherited, hooray! 

8 minutes ago, clippa said:

He wouldn't let me play faith no more on his hifi "I'm not having that shite ruining my speakers" :lol:

Works both ways mind, my dad was a massive Bowie / Stones / Floyd / Zeppelin / etc fan. As I grew up and got into rock / metal, he'd hear the music I liked and suggest I check out Bowie etc.. "lol yeah OK dad whatever" I thought. 

Fucking hell man. Finally got round to them properly a few years ago, and OMG HE WAS SO RIGHT. 

45 minutes ago, robdood said:

My dad was weird. 

Still is. He gets funny about me connecting my phone to the wifi Ffs. 

My grandmother never used her TV's own power button; she would always make the awkward stretch to reach behind the TV and turn it on and off at the mains plug. I think that was because she thought using the power button would damage the TV - possibly combined with habits dating from genuine warnings about the safety of electrical appliances in the '40s and '50s.

She wouldn't change the channel either - as far back as my mum can remember, the household TV was always permanently fixed on ITV. But I think that was less a safety thing, and more resentment of the poshness of the BBC. :P

1 hour ago, Junker said:

That looks familiar!! I can remember the power button was spring  loaded and ours came loose and used to shoot across the carpet

Our first Teletext TV had a spring-loaded slot on the front for the remote control to plug into! I remember the beeping noise that TV made when you typed in Teletext page numbers was really loud.

Some friends of mine from school had a Laserdisc player at home, and for some reason their dad told them the discs gave off a special radiation that could make you go blind if you looked at them for too long. Every time we wanted to watch a film, they'd remove it from the sleeve with their eyes closed, then stumble over to the player on the other side of the living room with the disc held at arm's length.

It still makes me laugh when I think about it.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, robdood said:

this was my first:

PRODPIC-1640.jpg

Amazeballs.  I remember slightly detuning the channel to get a softer image and thought it looked AMAZING. 

I had that one too, in a silvery grey rather than the black. It worked great with my original ZX Spectrum +, but when I upgraded to a Speccy +3 it needed a slight retune every time I switched the computer on for some reason.

It lasted me a good 15+ years, from the mid-80s right through to the new millennium, only getting replaced when I bought a new telly to go with my PS2.