Sign in to follow this  
Boothjan

Britannia - Romani Ite Domum

Starts at 2am GMT, when the full series is available on Box Sets. Really looking forward to this, I love Roman history. 

The trailers appear to have high production values so I just hope it's not totally shit and unoriginal!

• Upvote 1

has anybody watched this yet, I'm intrigued but it looks a bit shit.

looks like some suits have said GoT has lots of characters and is set in the old times and is very popular, Peaky Blinders looks cool and puts inappropriate music on top of scenes, lets make show with lots of characters in the old times with music in it

I may be wrong and intend to watch, but going in not expecting much.

• Upvote 2

On 1/18/2018 at 19:29, The Hierophant said:

When is this going to be on something other than Sky. (Netflix, Amazon, anything, its right up my street but I refuse to give Murdoch any money.)

Murdoch doesn't own Sky any more.

But now Disney is buying it. Or, 21C Fox is still trying to buy all of Sky, but Disney is buying 21C Fox from Murdoch.

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

But now Disney is buying it. Or, 21C Fox is still trying to buy all of Sky, but Disney is buying 21C Fox from Murdoch.

Indeed. Perhaps once the acquire Sky I might actually switch from virgin rather than threatening to every year to get a better deal. 

I don't know what I think of this. It's kind of cheap pap, the Czech involvement (not wishing to be rude) seems to seep through in a kind of eastern european production qualities way. But at the same time, some of the landscape shots in 4k are absolutely beautiful, I quite like some of the characters and want to see the story play out, and I'm a sucker for anything from that period of history.

On 18/01/2018 at 19:29, The Hierophant said:

When is this going to be on something other than Sky. (Netflix, Amazon, anything, its right up my street but I refuse to give Murdoch any money.)

Amazon Prime Video also have a stake in producing Britannia, so I'd expect it to pop up on there sometime soon.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_(TV_series)&ved=0ahUKEwiCmfyjkPHYAhWjOsAKHazXDQUQFgjfATAb&usg=AOvVaw2DLRAwwiFt2uA5lbklGbs8

God this is shite, I’m 10mins into ep1 and already reading twitter and ready to bin it.

Stuck with it to end of ep1, wont be watching a second.

Episode 1 was rubbish but I'm going to stick with it, just in case.

But deciding on Hurdy Gurdy Man as the theme tune - erm... What?! Has anyone seen that clip from Big Train when they overdub Status Quo - Rockin All Over The World onto a touching scene with a kid visiting his parent's grave?

I like Donovan but its a very bizarre choice for the theme to this show.

• Upvote 1

I've seen 4 episodes now. Part of the problem with any Roman invasion show is that the Britons are insular savages and the Romans are, to all intents and purposes, the modernising progressive Europeans (bit of politics. Mrs Thatch). If the viewer is looking for a home grown set of heroes battling against insurmountable odds, they really have to look to the Picts.

The problem is that there isn't really anyone to support in this show. Maybe the ex-Druid with his David Blaine sleight of hand. But there isn't really anyone else.

I'm also not a fan of the elaborate settlements the Britons had. Surely they would have rudimentary huts and hill forts replete with stone circles as per the Iron Age setting? But I appreciate it isn't supposed to be a documentary.

I'm really struggling with this.  Sure, it looks pretty and everything but ultimately, it's a huge pile of shite, isn't it?  I really want to like it and I'm going to try and finish it but it's not exactly binge-worthy.

I've only seen the first episode, but I thought it was great - surreal and quite fantastical, but I liked the contrast between that and the focus on the details of life in the iron age. I really loved the way that it portrayed Britain as this terrifying land of mythological creatures and ancient magic. It reminded me a bit of Spartacus: Blood & Sand, except everyone's on magic mushrooms 24/7, and with much better dialogue. 

It did make me wonder what language everyone is supposed to be speaking. The Numidian soldier seemed to understand the druids easily enough, but it's not like it's aiming for documentary realism.

Yeah, I'm 3 episodes in and enjoying it. I've always preferred my British history to be a bit more on the Maid Marian side of things and this is delivering for me. I loved Jez Butterworth's Jerusalem and this hasn't let me down yet. 

5 hours ago, K said:

It reminded me a bit of Spartacus: Blood & Sand, except everyone's on magic mushrooms 24/7, and with much better dialogue.

Heart would soar to fucking heavens, were this so. I had not thought oratory worthy of the gods themselves would once more fall upon our ears. Yet you stand and claim it so. Speak truly friend, has Jupiter himself kissed these writers quills and blessed them or do you toy with me like a whore with her masters flaccid cock?

• Upvote 6