rllmuk
Gotters

Nintendo eShop (Software Chatter)

On 24/11/2019 at 07:09, Pavey said:

Also, doesn’t it have a weird jump mechanic, so technically it’s the 2nd best 2D Mario after the Wii u version (which doesn’t have that mechanic)?

That extra twirl was in the Wii U version too, the Switch version was just frustrating because it added another method of doing it, which was by pressing jump again while in the air. If you're used to pressing and holding jump again early to bounce off enemies it could frustrate. You can turn it off with a (bafflingly secret) button combination on the title screen though.

Its definitely one of my favourite Mario games overall. 

• Upvote 1

Lots of good stuff in the sale, and more stuff seems to be added since I last looked.

Fantasy Strike is £19, which I think is a bargain

I got a bit spend happy last night as can't resist those bit 50-60% off or more offers

Thumper for £3, Infinite Mini Golf and then a total punt on some mad Rock of Ages thing that looks like a Terry Gilliam animation crossed with Monkey Ball and a tower defence game

Not sure of anyone has mentioned it but Rekt is worth a punt for £2.69 (I think). It's got San Francisco Rush 2049 vibes. Barebones in parts but plenty to unlock.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I got a bit spend happy last night as can't resist those bit 50-60% off or more offers

Thumper for £3, Infinite Mini Golf and then a total punt on some mad Rock of Ages thing that looks like a Terry Gilliam animation crossed with Monkey Ball and a tower defence game

Thumper - never heard of that. Looks.....dramatic. 
Why would that be a 12 rating?

1 minute ago, Dr Nookie said:

Maybe they simply picked up the PSVR  version rating which starts at 12 because VR headset. Would be a bit silly though. Alternatively, some scenes might be scary for little children. 

8 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

the baseline sounds like “cuntcuntcuntcunt”

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Maybe they simply picked up the PSVR  version rating which starts at 12 because VR headset. Would be a bit silly though. Alternatively, some scenes might be scary for little children. 

Interesting point. I might give it a go.  

30 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

Two words: Rhythm Violence.

Just dipped into Rogue Legacy for a few minutes and ended up having a two hour session. I'm still not sure what's going on but it's super effective!

• Upvote 1

Bought the two Baobabs Mausoleum games which I've eyed up a few times (and enjoyed the demo) for free because Gold points, and finally picked up Assault Android Cactus which I liked on the PC but, eh, PC, so it didn't get the play it deserved.

11 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

Just dipped into Rogue Legacy for a few minutes and ended up having a two hour session. I'm still not sure what's going on but it's super effective!

It’s great isn’t it!! I played it to death on my Vita which for about 5 months went to bed with me most nights!! 

• Upvote 1

Celeste is now down to £8.99. Cheaper on some foreign eshops. Super game if you've yet to play it and not as hard as people claim!

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Celeste is now down to £8.99. Cheaper on some foreign eshops. Super game if you've yet to play it and not as hard as people claim!

Totally agree. I usually get frustrated when a game is too hard, and i quit. I finished Celeste, and had a smile on my face throughout.

• Upvote 3

I kind of like Celeste but I do find it very fiddly. Like I feel I'm doing the right button combinations but it's not quite natural to me. Also because you move on from a screen and never really come back to it unless you're backtracking, it lacks that feeling of improving since it's a new set of challenges on each screen.

The great thing about Rogue Legacy is that although it's procedurally generated, it's essentially just randomising defined room layouts so you can actually get better at them. Also each run will probably make you stronger every time so there's always something to gain.

I avoided doing bosses out of fear but after a few hours you can basically just stand in front of them and whack em to death. Lovely game, very relaxing.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Dr Nookie said:

It's a bit disturbing, in a way I can't really express. It's got a very oppressive atmosphere. The music is relentless and some of the bosses can be a bit scary despite also being almost entirely abstract. It's particularly intense in VR, but it's a fantastic game however you play it.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Gotters said:

a total punt on some mad Rock of Ages thing that looks like a Terry Gilliam animation crossed with Monkey Ball and a tower defence game

Let me know how that is pls. The first one was on PS+ ages ago and for a game I'd never have bought otherwise I had a lot of fun with it. Was tempted by the sequel in the sale myself.

1 minute ago, Yasawas said:

Let me know how that is pls. The first one was on PS+ ages ago and for a game I'd never have bought otherwise I had a lot of fun with it. Was tempted by the sequel in the sale myself.

its sort of mental - for the first time in ages I didn't skip cutscenes and possibly found them a bit more fun than the game itself, but only did the first tutorial level before I had to leave it.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Not sure of anyone has mentioned it but Rekt is worth a punt for £2.69 (I think). It's got San Francisco Rush 2049 vibes. Barebones in parts but plenty to unlock.

I can second the recommendation for Rekt.  At £2.69 it is a steal and really bloody addictive.  Defo 2049 vibes (I'd really like to see a remake of that game). 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, ABenevolentGod said:

I kind of like Celeste but I do find it very fiddly. Like I feel I'm doing the right button combinations but it's not quite natural to me. Also because you move on from a screen and never really come back to it unless you're backtracking, it lacks that feeling of improving since it's a new set of challenges on each screen.

While it is a new set of challenges in each room, I still felt my improvement in the game as the earlier rooms teach you the skills you need to tackle progressively harder challenges. By the end of each level you are chaining together all the skills you have learnt through out.

Being able to go back later and Strawberry hunt is the best way to let you replay. I'm not sure what repeating rooms you have already beaten within the main story would add to the experience.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Aren't they usually put up on Thursday? Or do you mean last Thursdays?

I thought some had been added since then because of Black Friday mania.

After finishing A.I The Somnium Files, I decided to try something different from my backlog for a change of pace. I'd bought Truberbrook pretty cheaply a while ago because I liked the artstyle and given it's meant to be a pretty short point and click (about 5 hours), I thought I'd get stuck into that. 

It's so pretty. The whole game looks like a real model town that's channelling some serious Wes Anderson vibes. The actual story seems a bit Twin Peaks-lite so far, but there's a strong vein of humour throughout. 

But it's so pretty. 

Cautiously recommended after about an hour's play if point and clicks are your thing. 

truberbrook-april.jpeg

truberbrook_fremdenzimmer_pre_alpha-1.jpg

Trüberbrook-Review-Screenshot-1-1024x576.jpg

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, suzzopher said:

Has anyone played 80 Days? I was thinking of picking it up whilst it's on sale.

I played it on Android after buying it for about 50p. It was...okay. I went through it a couple of times but didn't really feel the urge to return. It's very much a visual novel, almost like a choose your own adventure with some animation. I'd say it was better suited to mobile than console.

• Upvote 2