rllmuk
Cyhwuhx

Dark Souls Remastered

On which platform will you remaster death?  

323 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I’ve been struggling with Sif so gave up last night and went back to Blightown to find the Laito (Iaito?) and harvest some large titanite shards to upgrade my weapons a bit more. 

It’s amazing how much easier Blightown is the second time round when you know what’s coming - made it down to the bottom bonfire without dying relatively easily, did some harvesting, and back up via the water wheel without a single death! Remarkable!

Back to Sif with my now +10 Claymore and a new +9 Iaito. Had a couple of goes at him with my Claymore - getting closer to finishing him off but still no luck. Switched to my Iaito and killed him first time! Bleed damage must have made a big difference in guessing. 

Was definitely another punch the air moment - he still hasn’t surpassed the Capra Demon as the most difficult boss I’ve faced, but is up there. 

Off to Sen’s Fortress now I guess....

• Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

It’s amazing how much easier Blightown is the second time round when you know what’s coming - made it down to the bottom bonfire without dying relatively easily, did some harvesting, and back up via the water wheel without a single death! Remarkable!

That damn waterwheel gets me at least once every playthrough. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 3

Playing this again and the same old thing happens every time where I wonder what the point of other games is. 

• Upvote 8

Just now, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Ive never actually played this game :ph34r:

Is it going to feel quite old and clunky if I try it out now... ?

No. I only played it for the first time when it came out on the Switch. It feels exceptionally good to play, and has ruined other games' combat (and map design) by contrast. Honestly, it's status as one of the best games is completely deserved. And this is without ever playing it online :o

• Upvote 6

I really really enjoyed going through this again on the Switch as a Cleric Knight build that was recommended on here (the Mace!) but messed things up transferring to a Switch Lite I had to return due to dead pixel so that save is gone.

I'm torn between Cleric Knight Once Again + Sunbro and (I know I'm sorry I posted this a while back) Sorcerer build since I've never done that and would be nice to play a bit more ranged...previsouly to all this I used to go melee style build on PS3...any other recommendations?

18 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Absolutely not! It's a bit slow and clunky by design, it's that way to make sure you commit to your actions like attacking and rolling.  It has a weird thing where your button presses 'queue up' so you can easily get punished for button mashing.  

May I recommend you check my yootoobs for a handy beginners guide that's totes spoiler free :)

I'm also in the middle of a Demon's Souls walkthrough on there, which could give you some pointers on approach to general gameplay. 

Join us!  We love reading new player stories!

• Upvote 6

On 13/05/2020 at 10:06, Davros sock drawer said:

Oh my word, you poor sod! That's a grim journey. 

I know for sure that I've missed an entrance / exit somewhere on that side of Blighttown.

I'm assuming I'll stumble across it when I'm doing something unrelated in a completely separate location.

My adventuring in Darkroot Garden is going half well. I've spent ages running around the same areas again and again to make sure I haven't missed anything. It's half OCD and it's half loving the fact that I'm getting loads more souls than I would be if I wasn't so thorough. Every death is an opportunity to build up more on the way to a retrieval. At this point I've cleared almost everything in the top area, including beating the weird glowing moth thing first time I tried (!). All I haven't done is beat the ghost knights in the special garden place (I bought the key from Andre before I entered). I also went down to the lower area and killed the giant water creature and found the turret that creates another shortcut back up to the Undead Burg. NICE.

Last night I spent ages climbing back up near the waterfall and rounding off the entire area by exploring the other side. I'm still in awe of the map design. It was during this section that I was appreciating the atmosphere and mood a little too much and didn't notice A TERRIFYING RAT MONSTER ROLL FLAMBOYANTLY INTO ME. As I eventually crawled out of here and into the next location I noticed some weird mushroom figures. Thinking that this time I wouldn't be unprepared, I crept up and rushed manically into the fray stabbing their tiny heads with my my spear, but my blind violence turned to horror as I realised they all started crying and tripping over and running away to their parents and I'd half massacred some children.

It looks like this area links back up with the dead knight garden, which is nice, so on my next playthrough I have three tasks.

1) See if I can beat the ghosts in this section (fuck the evil cat thing and his stupid warning)

2) See what's behind the door with the crack of glowing light behind it

3) Travel into the lower area again and take the elevator near the bonfire downward (perhaps this is the Blighttown link up?)

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Not at all, it hasn’t dated apart from visually and even then there are remasters. 

2 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Just to add to what others have said, I'm playing this through for the first time and it doesn't feel old and clunky.  I must have started not long after lockdown began.  God knows why I thought this would be an appropriate lockdown game to play though!

1 hour ago, David Heath said:

I know for sure that I've missed an entrance / exit somewhere on that side of Blighttown.

I'm assuming I'll stumble across it when I'm doing something unrelated in a completely separate location.

My adventuring in Darkroot Garden is going half well. I've spent ages running around the same areas again and again to make sure I haven't missed anything. It's half OCD and it's half loving the fact that I'm getting loads more souls than I would be if I wasn't so thorough. Every death is an opportunity to build up more on the way to a retrieval. At this point I've cleared almost everything in the top area, including beating the weird glowing moth thing first time I tried (!). All I haven't done is beat the ghost knights in the special garden place (I bought the key from Andre before I entered). I also went down to the lower area and killed the giant water creature and found the turret that creates another shortcut back up to the Undead Burg. NICE.

Last night I spent ages climbing back up near the waterfall and rounding off the entire area by exploring the other side. I'm still in awe of the map design. It was during this section that I was appreciating the atmosphere and mood a little too much and didn't notice A TERRIFYING RAT MONSTER ROLL FLAMBOYANTLY INTO ME. As I eventually crawled out of here and into the next location I noticed some weird mushroom figures. Thinking that this time I wouldn't be unprepared, I crept up and rushed manically into the fray stabbing their tiny heads with my my spear, but my blind violence turned to horror as I realised they all started crying and tripping over and running away to their parents and I'd half massacred some children.

It looks like this area links back up with the dead knight garden, which is nice, so on my next playthrough I have three tasks.

1) See if I can beat the ghosts in this section (fuck the evil cat thing and his stupid warning)

2) See what's behind the door with the crack of glowing light behind it

3) Travel into the lower area again and take the elevator near the bonfire downward (perhaps this is the Blighttown link up?)

It's interesting that we're both playing through and are in similar places, but are having such different experiences - for example, I've not found the giant water creature yet.... I've seen it from above, but not figured out how to get down there yet.  Maybe I should make a detour before heading to Sen's Fortress....hmmm....

• Upvote 2

I made it to the bonfire at the top of Sen’s Fortress this evening..... ish...

Aaaargh!!!!

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 7

Is this playable enough on a Switch Lite or undocked on an ordinary Switch? I find the Lite / Joycon sticks a bit inaccurate so I’m hesitant to dive into Dark Souls and be fighting against the controls rather than the game.

On 14/05/2020 at 12:44, Dirty Harry Potter said:

The only thing that will feel old and clunky will be every other game once you have played this.

• Upvote 7

Just now, vezna said:

Is this playable enough on a Switch Lite or undocked on an ordinary Switch? I find the Lite / Joycon sticks a bit inaccurate so I’m hesitant to dive into Dark Souls and be fighting against the controls rather than the game.

I did my first playthrough in portable mode on an OG Switch and it was great, given my available TV game time it was my best DS experience so far.

Got a Lite now, looking forward to doing a run on that :)

• Upvote 2

On 14/05/2020 at 12:44, Dirty Harry Potter said:

IMO the only thing that really feels clunky is when you fight Black Knights on slopes, because there are really obvious mismatches between their attacks' animation and hitboxes, and the position of the unlevel ground.

I struggled with some bosses on the Switch in portable mode as a veteran of the game on the PC and PS3. I think it's because I wasn't doing the claw hold technique in portable mode.

I found if I docked the console then I could nail the bosses first time.

So weird! 

On 14/05/2020 at 13:05, merrychan said:

I really really enjoyed going through this again on the Switch as a Cleric Knight build that was recommended on here (the Mace!) but messed things up transferring to a Switch Lite I had to return due to dead pixel so that save is gone.

I'm torn between Cleric Knight Once Again + Sunbro and (I know I'm sorry I posted this a while back) Sorcerer build since I've never done that and would be nice to play a bit more ranged...previsouly to all this I used to go melee style build on PS3...any other recommendations?

I had a pretty miserable experience as a sorcerer, the build is underpowered until you've done the Duke's Archives which made that entire journey up to and past O&S gruelling. Sen's was an absolute nightmare and I usually love that area.

Do a Giant Dad if you haven't yet and troll low level players in the Undead Burg.

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I had a pretty miserable experience as a sorcerer, the build is underpowered until you've done the Duke's Archives which made that entire journey up to and past O&S gruelling. Sen's was an absolute nightmare and I usually love that area.

Do a Giant Dad if you haven't yet and troll low level players in the Undead Burg.

Thanks for that, good to know! I think someone mentioned Giant Dad a while back, will look that up.

3 minutes ago, merrychan said:

Thanks for that, good to know! I think someone mentioned Giant Dad a while back, will look that up.

It was probably me, endlessly repeating myself like the predictable Souls bore that I have now become.

11 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

It was probably me, endlessly repeating myself like the predictable Souls bore that I have now become.

Hey if it's good it's good :)

Trick with a Sorcerer is to have enough Dex and Str for the Balder Side Sword and to enchant it with Magic. Obviously the class comes into it's own when you get the Crystal spells and on through NGs, but it's not TOO bad early on if you hit things and learn to parry.

• Upvote 2

Had a frustrating couple of days of Dark Souls and was thinking of taking a break, and tonight’s escapades may have tipped me over the edge. 

I’m working my way through Anor Londo. Gorgeous place no doubt, but I actually miss the grimness of the Undead Parish, and maybe even Blightown. 

Anyway, slowly making progress and I meet up with my old chum, Mr Onion Head (the knight guy - forget his name). He’s having trouble with some silver knights so I open the door and start to take them out. One gets pretty close so I back up and end up accidentally hitting the Onion guy as I’m swinging my Claymore around. Oops. He’s not happy and starts swinging for me! I don’t put up a fight as don’t want to kill him and figure he’d reset when I die. 

But of course not!

Make it back again and he’s straight away attacking again. Bugger. 

I googled at this point and it looked like my only option was to go all the bleedin’ way back to the gargoyle bell tower and get redemption. 

Thinking I may enjoy the break actually, I head all the way back only to find it costs over 30,000 souls! I don’t have that lying around so then have to head off to the Darkroot Garden to do some farming. 

Anyway, after a couple of hours I’m back at the top of Sen’s Fortress having redeemed myself,  but not looking forward to returning to Andor Londo. 

I’ll see how I feel tomorrow, but maybe a break would be for the best at this point. 

Oh; and I’ve still not got the hang of parrying. I manage it maybe 15% of the time. Is that going to be a problem as I make progress or is it doable without worrying about it?

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

You don’t really have to parry to get results. I probably never pulled it off successfully in the heat of battle, always just when dicking about farming souls from low level enemies. I don’t think I successfully parried a single enemy once in all of Dark Souls 2 in my recent first time playthrough.

That’s some brutal shit accidentally hitting Seigmeyer! :lol: Massive respect for making it all the way back to the bell tower for redemption. I wouldn’t worry too much about getting back through Anor Londo. It, like all areas in Dark Souls, goes in much quicker than in your first attempts (depending on how arsey the archers are feeling I suppose) :unsure: 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

Had a frustrating couple of days of Dark Souls and was thinking of taking a break, and tonight’s escapades may have tipped me over the edge. 

I’m working my way through Anor Londo. Gorgeous place no doubt, but I actually miss the grimness of the Undead Parish, and maybe even Blightown. 

Anyway, slowly making progress and I meet up with my old chum, Mr Onion Head (the knight guy - forget his name). He’s having trouble with some silver knights so I open the door and start to take them out. One gets pretty close so I back up and end up accidentally hitting the Onion guy as I’m swinging my Claymore around. Oops. He’s not happy and starts swinging for me! I don’t put up a fight as don’t want to kill him and figure he’d reset when I die. 

But of course not!

Make it back again and he’s straight away attacking again. Bugger. 

I googled at this point and it looked like my only option was to go all the bleedin’ way back to the gargoyle bell tower and get redemption. 

Thinking I may enjoy the break actually, I head all the way back only to find it costs over 30,000 souls! I don’t have that lying around so then have to head off to the Darkroot Garden to do some farming. 

Anyway, after a couple of hours I’m back at the top of Sen’s Fortress having redeemed myself,  but not looking forward to returning to Andor Londo. 

I’ll see how I feel tomorrow, but maybe a break would be for the best at this point. 

Oh; and I’ve still not got the hang of parrying. I manage it maybe 15% of the time. Is that going to be a problem as I make progress or is it doable without worrying about it?

This exact same thing happened to me, although it was my son who hit him when he picked up the controller for a dabble. Took me the best part of an evening to farm those souls. Don't give up now.

As for parry, I also hardly ever used it. (Although you will need it for the final boss, but you can just learn to time it when you get to that bit).

• Upvote 1

@Bushtopher

Fair play for making that journey to settle your bud down. My sincere, encouraging advice would be to finish Anor Londo, with all that brings, and then see how you feel about continuing. 

• Upvote 1

I completed it twice without ever parrying or going online. All bosses including the DLC ones. So definitely not required.

• Upvote 1

The parrying in Souls never clicked with me and when I occasionally managed it I didn't find the results worth the risk.

I've finished DS several times and don't even think about parrying now.

• Upvote 1

Thanks all. Reassuring messages to wake up to re: parrying!

It’s probably a good sign that after a decent nights sleep I’m already itching to get back to the game..... mostly to see if the Onion guy and I are friends again :)

• Upvote 2