Jump to content

Dark Souls Remastered


On which platform will you remaster death?  

329 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Ive never actually played this game :ph34r:

 

Is it going to feel quite old and clunky if I try it out now... ?

 

Just to add to what others have said, I'm playing this through for the first time and it doesn't feel old and clunky.  I must have started not long after lockdown began.  God knows why I thought this would be an appropriate lockdown game to play though!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David Heath said:

 

I know for sure that I've missed an entrance / exit somewhere on that side of Blighttown.

 

I'm assuming I'll stumble across it when I'm doing something unrelated in a completely separate location.

 

My adventuring in Darkroot Garden is going half well. I've spent ages running around the same areas again and again to make sure I haven't missed anything. It's half OCD and it's half loving the fact that I'm getting loads more souls than I would be if I wasn't so thorough. Every death is an opportunity to build up more on the way to a retrieval. At this point I've cleared almost everything in the top area, including beating the weird glowing moth thing first time I tried (!). All I haven't done is beat the ghost knights in the special garden place (I bought the key from Andre before I entered). I also went down to the lower area and killed the giant water creature and found the turret that creates another shortcut back up to the Undead Burg. NICE.

 

Last night I spent ages climbing back up near the waterfall and rounding off the entire area by exploring the other side. I'm still in awe of the map design. It was during this section that I was appreciating the atmosphere and mood a little too much and didn't notice A TERRIFYING RAT MONSTER ROLL FLAMBOYANTLY INTO ME. As I eventually crawled out of here and into the next location I noticed some weird mushroom figures. Thinking that this time I wouldn't be unprepared, I crept up and rushed manically into the fray stabbing their tiny heads with my my spear, but my blind violence turned to horror as I realised they all started crying and tripping over and running away to their parents and I'd half massacred some children.

 

It looks like this area links back up with the dead knight garden, which is nice, so on my next playthrough I have three tasks.

 

1) See if I can beat the ghosts in this section (fuck the evil cat thing and his stupid warning)

2) See what's behind the door with the crack of glowing light behind it

3) Travel into the lower area again and take the elevator near the bonfire downward (perhaps this is the Blighttown link up?)

 

It's interesting that we're both playing through and are in similar places, but are having such different experiences - for example, I've not found the giant water creature yet.... I've seen it from above, but not figured out how to get down there yet.  Maybe I should make a detour before heading to Sen's Fortress....hmmm....

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this playable enough on a Switch Lite or undocked on an ordinary Switch? I find the Lite / Joycon sticks a bit inaccurate so I’m hesitant to dive into Dark Souls and be fighting against the controls rather than the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/05/2020 at 12:44, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Ive never actually played this game :ph34r:

 

Is it going to feel quite old and clunky if I try it out now... ?

 

 

The only thing that will feel old and clunky will be every other game once you have played this.

  • Upvote 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, vezna said:

Is this playable enough on a Switch Lite or undocked on an ordinary Switch? I find the Lite / Joycon sticks a bit inaccurate so I’m hesitant to dive into Dark Souls and be fighting against the controls rather than the game.

I did my first playthrough in portable mode on an OG Switch and it was great, given my available TV game time it was my best DS experience so far.

 

Got a Lite now, looking forward to doing a run on that :)

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/05/2020 at 12:44, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Is it going to feel quite old and clunky if I try it out now... ?

 

IMO the only thing that really feels clunky is when you fight Black Knights on slopes, because there are really obvious mismatches between their attacks' animation and hitboxes, and the position of the unlevel ground.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I struggled with some bosses on the Switch in portable mode as a veteran of the game on the PC and PS3. I think it's because I wasn't doing the claw hold technique in portable mode.

 

I found if I docked the console then I could nail the bosses first time.

 

So weird! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/05/2020 at 13:05, merrychan said:

I really really enjoyed going through this again on the Switch as a Cleric Knight build that was recommended on here (the Mace!) but messed things up transferring to a Switch Lite I had to return due to dead pixel so that save is gone.

 

I'm torn between Cleric Knight Once Again + Sunbro and (I know I'm sorry I posted this a while back) Sorcerer build since I've never done that and would be nice to play a bit more ranged...previsouly to all this I used to go melee style build on PS3...any other recommendations?

 

I had a pretty miserable experience as a sorcerer, the build is underpowered until you've done the Duke's Archives which made that entire journey up to and past O&S gruelling. Sen's was an absolute nightmare and I usually love that area.

 

Do a Giant Dad if you haven't yet and troll low level players in the Undead Burg.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

 

I had a pretty miserable experience as a sorcerer, the build is underpowered until you've done the Duke's Archives which made that entire journey up to and past O&S gruelling. Sen's was an absolute nightmare and I usually love that area.

 

Do a Giant Dad if you haven't yet and troll low level players in the Undead Burg.

 

 

Thanks for that, good to know! I think someone mentioned Giant Dad a while back, will look that up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, merrychan said:

Thanks for that, good to know! I think someone mentioned Giant Dad a while back, will look that up.

 

It was probably me, endlessly repeating myself like the predictable Souls bore that I have now become.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Trick with a Sorcerer is to have enough Dex and Str for the Balder Side Sword and to enchant it with Magic. Obviously the class comes into it's own when you get the Crystal spells and on through NGs, but it's not TOO bad early on if you hit things and learn to parry.

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a frustrating couple of days of Dark Souls and was thinking of taking a break, and tonight’s escapades may have tipped me over the edge. 
 

I’m working my way through Anor Londo. Gorgeous place no doubt, but I actually miss the grimness of the Undead Parish, and maybe even Blightown. 
 

Anyway, slowly making progress and I meet up with my old chum, Mr Onion Head (the knight guy - forget his name). He’s having trouble with some silver knights so I open the door and start to take them out. One gets pretty close so I back up and end up accidentally hitting the Onion guy as I’m swinging my Claymore around. Oops. He’s not happy and starts swinging for me! I don’t put up a fight as don’t want to kill him and figure he’d reset when I die. 
 

But of course not!

 

Make it back again and he’s straight away attacking again. Bugger. 
 

I googled at this point and it looked like my only option was to go all the bleedin’ way back to the gargoyle bell tower and get redemption. 
 

Thinking I may enjoy the break actually, I head all the way back only to find it costs over 30,000 souls! I don’t have that lying around so then have to head off to the Darkroot Garden to do some farming. 
 

Anyway, after a couple of hours I’m back at the top of Sen’s Fortress having redeemed myself,  but not looking forward to returning to Andor Londo. 
 

I’ll see how I feel tomorrow, but maybe a break would be for the best at this point. 
 

Oh; and I’ve still not got the hang of parrying. I manage it maybe 15% of the time. Is that going to be a problem as I make progress or is it doable without worrying about it?

  • Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You don’t really have to parry to get results. I probably never pulled it off successfully in the heat of battle, always just when dicking about farming souls from low level enemies. I don’t think I successfully parried a single enemy once in all of Dark Souls 2 in my recent first time playthrough.
 

That’s some brutal shit accidentally hitting Seigmeyer! :lol: Massive respect for making it all the way back to the bell tower for redemption. I wouldn’t worry too much about getting back through Anor Londo. It, like all areas in Dark Souls, goes in much quicker than in your first attempts (depending on how arsey the archers are feeling I suppose) :unsure: 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

Had a frustrating couple of days of Dark Souls and was thinking of taking a break, and tonight’s escapades may have tipped me over the edge. 
 

I’m working my way through Anor Londo. Gorgeous place no doubt, but I actually miss the grimness of the Undead Parish, and maybe even Blightown. 
 

Anyway, slowly making progress and I meet up with my old chum, Mr Onion Head (the knight guy - forget his name). He’s having trouble with some silver knights so I open the door and start to take them out. One gets pretty close so I back up and end up accidentally hitting the Onion guy as I’m swinging my Claymore around. Oops. He’s not happy and starts swinging for me! I don’t put up a fight as don’t want to kill him and figure he’d reset when I die. 
 

But of course not!

 

Make it back again and he’s straight away attacking again. Bugger. 
 

I googled at this point and it looked like my only option was to go all the bleedin’ way back to the gargoyle bell tower and get redemption. 
 

Thinking I may enjoy the break actually, I head all the way back only to find it costs over 30,000 souls! I don’t have that lying around so then have to head off to the Darkroot Garden to do some farming. 
 

Anyway, after a couple of hours I’m back at the top of Sen’s Fortress having redeemed myself,  but not looking forward to returning to Andor Londo. 
 

I’ll see how I feel tomorrow, but maybe a break would be for the best at this point. 
 

Oh; and I’ve still not got the hang of parrying. I manage it maybe 15% of the time. Is that going to be a problem as I make progress or is it doable without worrying about it?

This exact same thing happened to me, although it was my son who hit him when he picked up the controller for a dabble. Took me the best part of an evening to farm those souls. Don't give up now.

 

As for parry, I also hardly ever used it. (Although you will need it for the final boss, but you can just learn to time it when you get to that bit).

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Bushtopher

 

Fair play for making that journey to settle your bud down. My sincere, encouraging advice would be to finish Anor Londo, with all that brings, and then see how you feel about continuing. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The parrying in Souls never clicked with me and when I occasionally managed it I didn't find the results worth the risk.

 

I've finished DS several times and don't even think about parrying now.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all. Reassuring messages to wake up to re: parrying!

 

It’s probably a good sign that after a decent nights sleep I’m already itching to get back to the game..... mostly to see if the Onion guy and I are friends again :)

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

Thanks all. Reassuring messages to wake up to re: parrying!

 

It’s probably a good sign that after a decent nights sleep I’m already itching to get back to the game..... mostly to see if the Onion guy and I are friends again :)

 

Every time I hear Onion Guy mentioned I imagine Davos from GOT.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to further ram the point home I never parry in Souls aside from occasionally messing around trying to do it against mooks, including in my SL1 95% melee run a few weeks back. I imagine it's probably a lot more useful in PvP but the risk/reward never seems great for PvE. Bloodborne has the only one I've found reliable enough to get into the habit of using, though I haven't played Sekiro yet.

 

In fact I almost think of parrying and shields as traps for the way I prefer to play these things, it always reads like you're trying to be 'hardcore' if you say you don't use either but it's kind of the opposite. I find it makes things much easier. If you're two-handing something and don't parry, there's no ambiguity. You just know you're going to try and iFrame though, with no split second of indecision wondering whether to dodge, block or parry in the heat of the moment (and sometimes getting all flustered and pressing the wrong button even if you decided in time). If you fuck it up, you know you got the timing or direction wrong so you can get straight to the business of doing it better rather than wasting time flipping through other options. I guess in fighting game terms it's reducing both your short and long-term mental stack.

 

Someone wondered about ranged sorcerers and personally I think that's totally viable even early on, that's what I did on the run before. If you want an easier time of it with a similar ranged magic vibe though, pyromancy is super powerful.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ornstein. 
 

And. 
 

Smough. 
 

O. M. G. 
 

How on earth is this battle at all possible?!

 

Any tips?

 

I’m even struggling with the big knights outside the fog door - can’t believe they respawn! I’ve started running past them, but will that make it harder to summon in an NPC?

  • Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

:D

 

It's a good un, eh? This is probably the Dark Souls boss fight. If you really want to summon, your best bet is to do it from the bonfire. 

 

It's doable solo, though. Focus on keeping them both in view as best you can, and concentrate all your attacks on one of them, don't spread the damage. It's generally considered a bit easier to do Ornstein first (thin stabby spear guy). 

 

However long it takes, the reward will be worth it. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kill fast spear dude first, then Smough. To kill Smough always keep an obstacle (broken pillar?) between you and him, except after he attacks nip out and poke him then dash back behind the obstacle.

 

There’s an NPC summon on the stairs before the fight, and you can just run past the giant guards. If you do summon help, make sure they don’t kill Smough first (happened to me) and it can be easier to wait until they’re dead before properly engaging the second part.

 

Only the dlc gets harder than this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They have very low health, relative to other bosses, so being patient and countering moves with 1-2 hits with a strong weapon will drop them faster than you think. The crystal weapon from the chest at the start of Anor Londo, or the Lightning spear (if desperate) from the chest in Sens Fortress work well if your regular weapons are a little underpowered. 

 

As the posters above say, Ornstein is a good first target. He's much much faster and will stab your squishy back while you're trying to beat down Smough, plus.... yeah. You'll see. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually just do a backwards circuit of the room keeping them both in view, if you do that and concentrate on staying as safe as possible Ornstein will keep coming to you and you'll have opportunities to get hits in. The hardest thing is dealing with the times his long-range lunge glitches out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Danno said:

They have very low health, relative to other bosses, so being patient and countering moves with 1-2 hits with a strong weapon will drop them faster than you think. The crystal weapon from the chest at the start of Anor Londo, or the Lightning spear (if desperate) from the chest in Sens Fortress work well if your regular weapons are a little underpowered. 

 

As the posters above say, Ornstein is a good first target. He's much much faster and will stab your squishy back while you're trying to beat down Smough, plus.... yeah. You'll see. 

I think they’re lightning immune aren’t they? Fire works well against them though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.