wev

Best New Music of 2018

Yes, Stanley- this Jon Hopkins album. I’m listening to it on a train platform with all the suited commuters on my way to a floatation tank appointment and getting tingles like it’s a rave in 1991. It’s absolutely brilliant. Guy’s a genius. 

Re: the Beach House album. I’ve given it a couple of listens (following your surprise heads-up on Sunday) and I’m not feeling it as much as many seem to be. I loved Teen Dream and Bloom and so far this isn’t in the same league but I’ll persevere. 

• Upvote 2

The new Beach House album is really amazing, they keep gradually expanding their sound whilst keeping whatever magic it is they posess. Going to see them again in October.

Also really liking the new DJ Koze album.

• Upvote 2

Beach House 7 takes a few listens to click imo but then all their albums have for me. This one is really densely layered and I keep hearing new things with each listen. It has that trademark Beach House sound but it just sounds bigger and more muscular now. It's co-produced by Pete Kember (ex Spacemen 3) and I can hear his influence too, there's a lot more fuzzed up guitar. 

There are some beautiful unexpected chord changes and left turns throughout, and Victoria Legrand's voice is incredible. 

That chiming guitar on Pay No Mind :wub:

Also is it me or does the last song Last Ride sound like the music from Minecraft?

• Upvote 1

That second vid I'd seen before but forgotten and it hit me again just now like the first time.

Beach House album is definitely growing on me now. Black Car is a current favourite.

Thanks for heads-up re: DJ Koze FP,  excited about getting stuck into that. 

Is it just me or has loads of great stuff come out in the last few days?... and I'm still to give the Daniel Avery album a proper listen. (..and I actually really like the Arctic Monkeys one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  )

Other brilliant album of 2018 for me is Bicep's. (edit: oh, that's from 2017 - still it hasn't got anywhere near enough love in this forum as it should.)

• Upvote 1

On 16/05/2018 at 14:01, Fierce Poodle said:

Another fan of the Jon Hopkins and DJ Koze albums here!

I’m also loving the new Sleep.

I was excited about the Jon Hopkins and although I like it, it's not something I'd listen to for summer. It feels like something I'd listen to walking home in the dark. It also feels a bit familiar. It has the sound of Immunity that I love but not different enough that I got the same wow as the first time I head that.

I'd never heard DJ Koze before and been listening to this on loop all day.

• Upvote 1

On 16/05/2018 at 20:36, spacedinvader said:

Beach House album is definitely growing on me now. Black Car is a current favourite.

On 15/05/2018 at 18:16, Stanley said:

Beach House 7 takes a few listens to click imo but then all their albums have for me. This one is really densely layered and I keep hearing new things with each listen. It has that trademark Beach House sound but it just sounds bigger and more muscular now. It's co-produced by Pete Kember (ex Spacemen 3) and I can hear his influence too, there's a lot more fuzzed up guitar.

It's gorgeous, innit. Darker and more psychedelic than they have been, but still has the dreamy, fuzzy sound. I love it.

'Pay No Mind' is fucking lovely:

• Upvote 1

On 18/05/2018 at 10:16, Stanley said:

Wish that Skee Mask album was on Spotify. It's my way of checking out stuff before purchase, guess I'll just have to buy it.

It’s on Spotify now.

Listening to it now in the sunshine. Living up to the hype so far. 

• Upvote 1