Sprite Machine

Steamed Hams: A Simpsons Story

Is there no dedicated Simpons topic? I haven't watched it years, due to it mostly being shite.

Anyway, a couple of months ago, a video popped up on my Youtube recommendations list called "Steamed Hams but it's a Custom Guitar Hero Song". I have no idea why.

(In case you don't know, "Steamed Hams" is a skit from an episode of the Simpsons called 22 Short Films About Springfield, back when the show was actually still good, and features Principal Skinner trying to impress Superintendent Chalmers with dinner but ends up burning his own house down - it's great.)

Since then, I've been getting regular Youtube recommendations for alternate versions of this skit, all called "Steamed Hams but... something-something". Apparently, it all kicked off due to a Reddit thread and became a ridiculous meme contest through most of December. Some of it is just shitposting ("Steamed Hams but Skinner only says Steamed Hams", "Steamed Hams but all the dialogue is in alphabetical order", "Steamed Hams but it's translated into Chinese and back into English by Google", etc.), and even though this is just stupid shit, I've been laughing my arse off at it.

Then some of it is quite clever re-editing ("Skinner is schiznophrenic" where Chalmers is removed and Skinner is just talking to himself, "edited like the movie Memento", where it's played backwards, etc.).

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=steamed+hams+but

And then there's this truly remarkable work of art, which, as a videogame forum, you will surely all appreciate. Steamed Hams but it's Metal Gear Solid:

:lol:

• Upvote 8

There's not a dedicated general Simpsons thread on this forum, but these two get bumped occasionally:

Anyway the "Bee Movie But..." and "Steamed Hams But..." memes are amusing but none of them compare to this, the best one:

• Upvote 2

I fully understand that I am old, and memes are beyond me

However having seen a few of these posted now is it standard practice that the "meme" video is always not as funny as the original scene?

The Steamed hams segment of that Simpsons episode is not a classic but I have seen a few of these memes now and all are inferior to it in all possible ways.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Clipper said:

The Steamed hams segment of that Simpsons episode is not a classic but I have seen a few of these memes now and all are inferior to it in all possible ways.

It's one of the most iconic and well known bits of The Simpsons.

• Upvote 8

I must admit I do like the Facebook page 'Rock Bottom', it's basically mashups of well-known Simpsons scenes. Gone off the boil a bit recently but favourites include-

FB_IMG_15160933180900428.thumb.jpg.f7122e673edb6642190fb5742eac0fd6.jpg

FB_IMG_15160921557884223.thumb.jpg.ccc68b45e19c34bee735aeb7e097f919.jpg

FB_IMG_15160932208742567.thumb.jpg.042564be4713f8d203cbca1036da440c.jpg

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, deKay said:

It's one of the most iconic and well known bits of The Simpsons.

i meant to say that the segment , to me, is not a classic in terms of writing - however it is very funny.

Hence why I am confused as to why there are so many unfunny versions that have become "a thing" thats all

The amusement in these mashup videos doesn't come from them actually being funny, but because of the absurdity of the concept. The attention to detail in the MGS and Phoenix Wright ones, and the musical skill in the piano dub versions.

And some of them are impressive because of how audacious you'd have to be to even attempt to edit them together (even using scripts). E.g. The Bee Movie Trailer But Every Time They Say "Bee" They Play All-Star By Smash Mouth But All The Notes Are Replaced With Him Saying "Do You Like Jazz?" And Every Time He Says That It Speeds Up.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Nick R said:

The amusement in these mashup videos doesn't come from them actually being funny, but because of the absurdity of the concept. The attention to detail in the MGS and Phoenix Wright ones, and the musical skill in the piano dub versions.

And some of them are impressive because of how audacious you'd have to be to even attempt to edit them together (even using scripts). E.g. The Bee Movie Trailer But Every Time They Say "Bee" They Play All-Star By Smash Mouth But All The Notes Are Replaced With Him Saying "Do You Like Jazz?" And Every Time He Says That It Speeds Up.

nope - don't get it - looks amateurish and isn't funny to me at all. I just look at it like it is an alien concept.

I am old

However I do now understand the concept (thankyou) and I will not concern myself with it any further :D

Silent Runner - It's a great puzzle/story game on the DS - one of the system highlights, in fact. Where you do all the things that are featured in that video! Not sure if it got a 3DS release but I urge anyone to dig it up if they haven't played it yet. I bought it for my mum recently (she loves stuff like Phoenix Wright) and it's still being sold at retail for a fairly hefty price.  

Steamed hams creativity and the amount of work people put into them is pretty amazing/mental! And they get better and better! (edit: except deKay's, sorry bro)

• Upvote 3