pulsemyne

What are your aims this year creativity wise?

The topic may be a bit of a garble English wise but just what are your answers?

For me, it's to get book one looked over and done while continuing work on Book four. Book three can take a back burner for now. Once book one has been given the new once over it's time to aggressively pimp it to agents. Or just make it as good as I can and push it to reviewers and see if it can sell well as self-published. 

• Upvote 3

I'd like to release two LP's. Nothing that would ever sell. Just something on bandcamp - sadly i lack mastering skills and can't really afford to master at a studio so i try anyway. At the same time maybe learn some musical ideas for other projects.

One will be techno dub and the other is a hauntology project inspired by nostalgic TV and brutalist memories of my youth living in inner London.

Like exploring futures promised that haven't materialised, decay, "concretism" (musical and building). Like Ghostbox but focused on TV. Would be nice to tie that with  a paranomal thing where some entity breaks through a TV. I love errie music you see.

The whole techno thing ideal of creating electronica that are at one with your environment and memory rings very dear to me.

It sounds a bit f'arty but its a bit like like how Detroit techno was dark but also beautiful as it represented the decaying areas - but with future visions.

Oh and also a bit of photography as i've done nothing for months but its nice to tie this in with walking - which is something i love doing (we should have a walking meet!).

Oh and remaster some old mixes as the forumite Rezonance keeps moaning at me. But i'm trying to learn other crafts.

:)

• Upvote 1

I'd like to get back into some music making this year.

I lost the enthusiasm for it a bit last year and ended up not making anything at all. I've always got ideas but I found myself lacking the energy to open up Cubase and start turning them into something. It's been ages since I made any trance/dance music so I do wanna get back to doing that (I drifted away from it and started making orchestral stuff instead). I need to work on my motivation - I've been thinking about possibly collaborating as a means to overcome that, having another person on board to keep the vibe going rather than succumbing to the self doubt that can plague a solo producer.

Btw @Dimahoo, if you like, I can help out mastering some of your stuff for you. 

• Upvote 1

After a few years on a creative upswing as far as music goes, last year was a bit hollow, with only the three releases and a massive gap of a good 8 months where I did sod-all. I've tried imposing targets and things like "do a beat a week", but they usually end up with me cheating by recycling old stuff or just doing stuff to meet a target rather than using a target to do stuff.

So I'm keeping my aims modest, hoping to put at least one album out and maybe an EP or two. I have some ideas and have already started on a fun project (fake drum & bass beats mix made from crap 8-bit samples). I've found that having a no-pressure fun project makes the deeper production projects a lot easier to stick with as there's always something to do.

Probably more ambitious, I want to fully integrate Ableton Live into my creative tools. Renoise is my primary DAW but since buying this MIDI keyboard/controller it has highlighted just how a different approach to really playing music and mixing live could help me grow creatively. It's always tough starting out with new software, especially something so complex and full of options like Live, but once I get over the initial hump and get to a point where I can have an idea and execute it I'll be happy. Long way to go.

Would also like to properly learn MAX4LIVE and be able to make some simple custom stuff, but this is programming and I suspect may be beyond my small, age-hardened brain at this stage, but will give it a go.

Add to that plenty of chip-music stuff like Protracker modules and the like. Plenty to be getting on with.

I like to actually write and draw my own horror comic. I like to have a part in developing a game and have it released.  Also I want to 3d print something I creed in zbrush.

Make another photography book or two. Just get through 8 months of new photos and years of old stuff. And do more character design. I want to do the most chaotic stuff and that's the eventual aim but it's how to do that and be precise and accurate with it.How to add colour and fill in without bloating the design. I tried a lot before doing the obvious simple thing of just lasso ing slices and altering colour that way so the design stays pure. So just look to do that with more layers. Or move into drawing in Photoshop. I think I need to do line work and colour at the same time, and be more elegant with it.

15 hours ago, pervent aline perio grow d said:

Make another photography book or two.

Same here, and make some/more prints. Also, concentrate on one particular field and get a good body of work in it.

If I can sort out a good home scanning set up, start developing my own negatives. 

5 hours ago, Ste_S said:

Same here, and make some/more prints. Also, concentrate on one particular field and get a good body of work in it.

If I can sort out a good home scanning set up, start developing my own negatives. 

Do you have a book online I can look at ? See how you've presented it, what site you used.

Last year I said I'd learn proper 3d work in 2017 (in blendr or something), but ended up somehow spending the whole year focusing on traditional media instead. 

Experimented with different media more, was happy with that so want to get solidly competent this year. Mainly with brush pens I think. Knocking out something in photoshop for portfolio work needs to happen at some point though.

In 2017 I had some music used in a short film, a couple of adverts and wrote a theme for a podcast. 

This was insanely exciting for me, I expected every submission to be rejected as I knew professional composers were also submitting and couldn't quite believe it when my work was chosen. 

With that vote of confidence, I want to write more music this year. Those pieces are pretty much all I wrote last year in terms of music to a brief or whatever you might like to call it. It may not sound like much to you but hearing your music on the radio (for 20 seconds, with someone talking over it, as part of an advert) is really, really amazing. 

I also have half a dozen guitar songs in progress from 2017 that I'd like to finish and perform. Time is the enemy. I want to reduce the hours I'm working to facilitate it. 

• Upvote 1

I’m going to take more photographs and learn some proper music theory in the hope that it’ll inspire me to better things than just picking up bits and bobs as I go along. 

I want to take a game dev project to a more advanced state rather than the handful of early prototypes I have knocking around. It's been nearly five years since I last (and first, for that matter) finished a project and since then I've been floundering and daydreaming more than getting on with stuff.

I had also planned to do some simple pixel art every other day, but that flopped after a few days because with study and other things, I didn't quite fancy the commitment. I'd still like to do that more though and get the practice.

I am going to attempt to create a board game! So far I have lots of notes. Will properly devote some time to it next month to draft out some battle systems and sketch down board ideas and streamline everything to actually fit in a box.  If I get something working and drafted this year I will be happy. Not looking to have anything finished in a polished sense. If it actually works out being good I could attempt to kickstart it if that's a thing still. But I feel I'd need to get to that decent draft stage before even thinking about that.

Try and do more of my own work. I'm in the process of building a Flame at home as Nuke and AE just don't cut it for me. It's as much trying to find the enthusiasm to do stuff these days as my day job just kind of wrings all of the creative energy out of me.

• Upvote 1

Try and make the procedurally generated golf game idea I have had in my head for the last couple of years, already made a positive start so fingers crossed I can keep on it.

• Upvote 1

Determined to pack in working for some other cunt and do my own development

got very supportive employer indulging and giving me work to stop getting bored but I want to make a go of it myself

been writing Xamarin applications, Azure based web services and plugins for Excel, all of which interact with each other 

got a mate who’s just won dragons den and know one or two other entrepreneurs so plenty of ideas from them and I’m having a total blast learning to do stuff had no idea I could

not long til mortgage paid off, so fuck it always been put off knowing how many clever experienced devs are around but going to give it a shot 

On 02/01/2018 at 12:34, Sie said:

I'd like to get back into some music making this year.

I lost the enthusiasm for it a bit last year and ended up not making anything at all. I've always got ideas but I found myself lacking the energy to open up Cubase and start turning them into something. It's been ages since I made any trance/dance music so I do wanna get back to doing that (I drifted away from it and started making orchestral stuff instead). I need to work on my motivation - I've been thinking about possibly collaborating as a means to overcome that, having another person on board to keep the vibe going rather than succumbing to the self doubt that can plague a solo producer.

Btw @Dimahoo, if you like, I can help out mastering some of your stuff for you. 

Sorry Sie...i've just read this. Thanks very much.

I may take you up on this offer. I could return the favour with a collab.

Maybe get some ideas and throw out a mix each?

Not sure my orchestral samples are up to scratch though. I did some orchestration but it most of my samples have few layers per key so expression is always a problem (i tried to get around it by adding lots of layers! - but it still sounded rather syncopated).

I am aiming to find my way back into paid graphic design work. 

I trained to be a designer, but since had to adapt and be self taught with web design, but I have missed doing design. So I've decided I need to get back to what I love. I need to find my creative spark, as that has really disappeared over the last few years, I think because of the many rules around web design that end up restricting a little bit. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

I am aiming to find my way back into paid graphic design work. 

I trained to be a designer, but since had to adapt and be self taught with web design, but I have missed doing design. So I've decided I need to get back to what I love. I need to find my creative spark, as that has really disappeared over the last few years, I think because of the many rules around web design that end up restricting a little bit. 

Amazing that never changes. I was in web design in 1995, launched the first UK national tabloid on the internet, and was utterly hooked on it for years, then I realised you can't just run off and pioneer cos the conventions of UX need to be super simple, so content is king. I got extremely bored with it just like you. I always figured it was down to slow data speeds but it clearly isn't.

1 minute ago, linkster said:

Amazing that never changes. I was in web design in 1995, launched the first UK national tabloid on the internet, and was utterly hooked on it for years, then I realised you can't just run off and pioneer cos the conventions of UX need to be super simple, so content is king. I got extremely bored with it just like you. I always figured it was down to slow data speeds but it clearly isn't.

I'm not bored of it as such. It is more a case of not finding the right clients. They tend to not want to listen to what will work, or listen to what restrictions there actually are with regards to web design. 

Then explaining that they need to consider responsive design, or just expect things to magically work. 

Plus you get a lot of... "You design it, then I'll tell you the content I want" so you do what you can with that, then they give you stuff that just doesn't fit with the design you did, so they then complain when it changes. 

The lack of understanding that one person alone cannot do EVERYTHING needed for your website and you'll need a backend programmer to help too. 

That sounds really miserable, but I do enjoy web design, but need to broaden my reach again to balance it out. 

Giving this thread a gentle shake to see if anyone else has started their projects! I have spent the last months and a bit making a ... secret thing for my board game and making various cards and things. If it looks tidy around Christmas I'll get serious on it next year. Does anyone have advice of copyright of ideas and systems for this type of thing? I feel like I'd like to talk about what I've been doing and working on but a little worried about putting too much out there.

My inktober project is rocking along nicely. 

I've got a photobook and calendar to sort for christmas presents.

And i'm sort of designing an outdoor table using a bit of oak from a tree that when down a few years ago round the corner. 

so, i'm pretty much on track this year, :D

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, mrpranny said:

Giving this thread a gentle shake to see if anyone else has started their projects!

you bastard. I've had the camera out a few times but less than last year for sure, and I've done sweet fuck all with music in months. Bah! 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, milko said:

you bastard. I've had the camera out a few times but less than last year for sure, and I've done sweet fuck all with music in months. Bah! 

If its any consolation, my project is going to take a very long time and likely to be very painful. I should have started a lot sooner in the year too.

14 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

My inktober project is rocking along nicely.

so, i'm pretty much on track this year, :D

The inktober project thread is looking great, kinda wish I had done that this year I could have done a weapon design per day or something.

• Upvote 2

I wanted to finish a character collection by Christmas day as that has always been something i thought would be neat to do...but fixed on the number 78. I have 36 done. That's 36 done in two years. 48 might be possible. 

Nearly finished another photobook, second one. Going back 6 years to find a specific photo takes ages. I have edits using curves i can't actually repeat. Dropped page number to 200, will put zoo shots in middle, maybe 40 each time. 

Can't really do both drawing and photobook at the same time, as well taking new photos and editing those. Really spent solid months just finding and editing this year. I look at some months and think what do i have to show for it. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

I look at some months and think what do i have to show for it. 

Dont worry about those times. Put it down to thinking time and prep work or finding reference or whatever.  Thinking about what youre actually going to do is often half the struggle

For me, it's to be able to create a website or create a blog which I can eventually monetize. i absolutely love to write and instead of my writings being tucked away in a notebook no one will probably read, I want to go public with my thoughts and opinions out there. I am still torn on what niche to take due to my many interests but I my top two is the lifestyle niche or the house pets niche. Now, I don't know how to code but I have been doing some research and it seems like the most affordable option is to get a website builder. I found one already which is hPage at https://hpage.com for only 5 euros a month. Now my last problem is the domain name. I already have one for the lifestyle blog but it doesn't seem to be connected at lifestyle at all (but I guess that's okay). If I go with the house pets website, all the ideas I've got is already taken :/ It's so hard to find an untaken domain!!!