Sign in to follow this  
partious

Backlogs and their effect on enjoyment.

I must have deleted Rocket League from my ps4 about 18 times now to force myself to play something new or from the backlog. It is perfect, and so easy to bung on instead of starting Witcher 3.

The problem is broadband speed.

I can download RL in 8 minutes.

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 2

If all else fails and calm is threatened, resort to the old book-hoarder's mantra: there's no point having a library of books that you've read. I mean, be aware that this is just a placeholder argument and will need to be updated later on to defend the library of books you have read, but it'll serve you well in the meantime.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Rowan Morrison said:

If all else fails and calm is threatened, resort to the old book-hoarder's mantra: there's no point having a library of books that you've read. I mean, be aware that this is just a placeholder argument and will need to be updated later on to defend the library of books you have read, but it'll serve you well in the meantime.

But I love re-reading favourite books.

True, that leaves me with a bunch of 'meh, OK' novels I could probably toss out...

22 minutes ago, smac said:

But I love re-reading favourite books.

Oh, it's a thoroughly dishonest argument, but these times call for men of cruelty. The goal is to keep people off your back by whatever means necessary. In the context of this thread, that means keeping yourself off your own back, essentially by lying to yourself inside your own head. Now, I'm not a qualified psychiatrist, but I assume that's all perfectly healthy and, at any rate, any complications arising will manifest themselves in later life, so there's no need to worry right now.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Rowan Morrison said:

any complications arising will manifest themselves in later life, so there's no need to worry right now.

Ah, you see, I've reached later life. That's why it's complicated...

• Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Morrison said:

Plus how many paperbacks do you have that'll maybe get you big bucks on eBay in 10 years? That's the worst part of it. Let it go, people!

• Upvote 1

I used to have this and it often led to gaming decision paralysis where I either didn't play anything because the choice was too much to deal with OR I'd have a couple of game on the go and I'd try and split my time between them. All this led to not enjoying games very much and almost never completing anything.

These days I only really play 1 game at a time and I try and stick to only owning one physical game at a time, I'll play through something and then sell/trade it and move on to the next. If I'm playing something I'm not enjoying, I get rid and move on. I also delay listening to gaming podcasts by a few weeks, it means I don't get into the Day 1 need of things, makes games cheaper and more reliable (Day 1/ week 1 patching) and lets me still enjoy being part of the conversation while I'm playing through a game.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, wretcherd said:

I must have deleted Rocket League from my ps4 about 18 times now to force myself to play something new or from the backlog. It is perfect, and so easy to bung on instead of starting Witcher 3.

I think I've finally cracked the Rocket League thing. I did two things. One was not to renew my PS+ subscription. And the other thing was to play games on another system so I don't have to scroll past Rocket League in order to play something else. Enjoying Breath of the Wild at the moment! :)

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

I think part of my problem is how methodical I am with each game. I can't play more than one 'main' videogame at a time. Anything with a story or a substantial linear progress... one at a time. It's how my brain works. If I start playing another major game before finishing the first... or if real life prevents me from loading up the game for more than 2 weeks... the game is sadly abandoned, because I've lost the thread. So I can't juggle several games at once.

I've also not helped myself by getting a Switch. I already had a pile of shame on PS4 and Steam... to the point of getting a little stressed about it, and promising myself to methodically get through them. But then I impulse-bought a Switch in the Blck Friday deals. So now I have Mario and Zelda to play!

Thankfully, Mario is teaching me something I had almost forgotten about gaming: fun. It's an absolute pleasure to play, and I look forward to playing it! That sounds strange, but I now realise I have spent far too much of my life playing boring games that were just busywork. Too many RPGs with a pointless grind. Loading up those games is like like getting ready to start another work shift. Unlike real work, you're not getting paid, so what are you doing it for? You've put that gameworld into slightly better order, but so what? 

• Upvote 3

One thing I've found as I've got older and gaming time has got less and less is that I enjoy playing games over extended periods of time more than when I had the time to just plough through them and move on to the next one as quickly as possible. The first game I noticed this with was the first Nier on 360. I played it a couple of years after it came out and was playing other games along side it. It took me a good 3-4 months to finish what would at one point have taken me a couple of weeks. I came out of it with a much stronger sense of having inhabited this strange little dying world populated with its various oddball characters.

More recently I spent a year slowly working through the first Forza Horizon and when I finally finished off the last of the tasks I'd set myself I spent an hour just driving around the map as a farewell to playing pretend racing car driver in a pretend patch of America. That aimless hour of driving around is up there as one of my favourite gaming moments this year.

The side effect of sticking with long games through to the end though is I get to play an even smaller fraction of the games that interest me.

Over the past five years I've slowly sunk back in to the habit of collecting old games. I've got a carefully maintained google doc of all the stuff I want and I know I'm being completely irrational every time I add games to the list of things that I can't really afford and don't have the time to play. I compromise with myself by acquiring stuff at a very slow pace, knowing I'll never get everything on the list or play everything I'm buying.

I also haven't bought anything in a Steam sale for about three years, I just add stuff to my wishlist instead. Cheaper and basically an identical experience to buying and then never installing or playing games.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, wretcherd said:

2 hours ago, John0 said:

I think I've finally cracked the Rocket League thing. I did two things. One was not to renew my PS+ subscription. And the other thing was to play games on another system so I don't have to scroll past Rocket League in order to play something else. Enjoy Breath of the Wild at the moment! :)

You guys make me sick, how could u delete and ignore rocket league :quote::blah::hmm::facepalm::mad::seanr:

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Theholyhogg said:

You guys make me sick, how could u delete and ignore rocket league :quote::blah::hmm::facepalm::mad::seanr:

I'd really like to go back to it one day, and it's definitely one of my favourite games ever and very special. But it was just wayyyy too easy to log on for "1 or 2 games" and sit there for hours gradually losing any sense of fun and getting angrier and angrier. Also I kinda wanted to do other things :)

• Empathy 3

2 minutes ago, John0 said:

I'd really like to go back to it one day, and it's definitely one of my favourite games ever and very special. But it was just wayyyy too easy to log on for "1 or 2 games" and sit there for hours gradually losing any sense of fun and getting angrier and angrier. I don't really like something monopolising my free time like that for such a long time.

Git gud then :eyebrows:, I know what u mean tho this game stops me from playing so many other games I've bought and just sat there for months without use

4 hours ago, Vimster said:

Plus how many paperbacks do you have that'll maybe get you big bucks on eBay in 10 years? That's the worst part of it. Let it go, people!

I've got loads that would get me big bucks right now - any burglars would be well advised to leave the laptops and cart away my shelf of horror film books. This is one of the most successful methods I have of tormenting my wife, it's a kind of paperback Bitcoin. Eventually a new edition will come out and the price will plummet but, for now, let's bask in the equity and dream of what could be.

• Upvote 1

On 12/18/2017 at 00:21, partious said:

Thing is I'm finding it hard to actually enjoy the moment to moment gameplay without thinking "when I get this one finished I only have 99 left" and pretty much just constantly looking forward to finishing the game so I can tick it off the list, as opposed to actually genuinely enjoying the experience of playing it.

I am aware that this is idiotic, but I'm wondering if this is just a natural consequence of having too many games on the "to play" pile.

I got the same feeling when I started my backlog a few years ago. The majority of mine is more story driven, or open world, or generally long stuff. I've 75 untouched games but it used to be way more than that. To some that doesn't sound much but it's a lot of hours that I don't necessarily have.

Two things really helped.

Mass clearout. Doesn't matter how classic it is, when a game is so far down my playlist it just isn't going to happen. I played a bunch of stuff for ten minutes each and even more just looked at the cover and then they were gone. Now I play what's most interesting at that moment and am enjoying it all the more.

I only complete what really grabs me. Most games I get are fun for a time but these days I don't feel I must complete it. So I mentally tick it off as 'finished'. If it's digital only I can always go back to it. Physical ones I'll get rid of after this point.

Less backlog means less pressure for me and less encroaching on new games I'm excited to try. For now I ain't buying another console till I'm largely done with PS3 and PS1. It will all be available later or better things will replace whatever hip multiplayer. My Potato PC is rammed and I'm having fun with what I've got.

On 12/18/2017 at 07:25, simms said:

You’ll probably never play everything.  My method at the moment is to prioritise the games I really want to play.  For example if you have a favourite series play the sequels or prequels you have yet to play and/or focus on playing games in your favourite genre.  I have 3 games on the go at any one time perhaps from different genres so I don’t get burnt out on one game. 

This is what I'm doing too. Works for me.

On 12/18/2017 at 12:14, Strangelite said:

Nowadays I spend 15 quid a month and 'flip' most "AAA" games in under 3 days...

I then have something bigger [which I call my 'core' game] like The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Skyrim which i play between postage of the other stuff...

This is kind of where I want to be. Have a budget, experience new games, don't get overly attached, have fun, move on. Invest time in and revisit the stuff I really love.

4 hours ago, matt0 said:

I also haven't bought anything in a Steam sale for about three years, I just add stuff to my wishlist instead. Cheaper and basically an identical experience to buying and then never installing or playing games.

So true. :lol:

I can't bring myself to play anything most days and I have a huge backlog.  I did stop buying a while ago though.  I'm usually either too tired, or can't get rid of the nagging feeling that I should be doing something else, or I just feel 'meh' about whatever I try to play.  

Precisely so. I pay for PS+ to play Overwatch and Street Fighter, and any 'free' games certainly don't count towards the backlog, that's madness. You'd be constantly playing catch up. 

I'm with LeChuck here, I find the thought of a backlog a bit strange. Buy a game, play it. There have been times where I've bought three or four games at a time, but then I've always made sure to make my way through them (if I'm enjoying them), before even thinking about buying a new one.

Probably helps I'm not big into Steam.

1 hour ago, Captain LeChuck said:

I'll never understand having a backlog.

Why fucking buy them if you're not gonna fucking play them?

I buy a game, I play it. I finish it if I like it, ditch it if I don't, then move on to another game.

That's it. 

IMG_5265.JPG.cfd7f449c8d77ae1dd068b3d0bb7906e.JPG

• Upvote 1

What can I say. I want to play too much stuff and had this strange idea I could fit it all into one weekend. And it would be an amazing weekend when I just work out how to bend space and time.

Or

I'm helping the economy. Hoarders mean less starving game devs.

Or

Look at the shiny. *reaches for credit card*

• Upvote 1

I have a shelf of my current Playlist.  It's about 15 games long. Wii Sports and the latest Tekken are always on it, and at the moment they're accompanied by The Last Guardian, Assassins Creed Black Flag and Dirt4 (games I'm currently playing through), Yakuza Zero, Forza Horizon 3, Don Bradman 14 and Mario 3D World (my current choices for relaxing games), and Gan Turismo 5, Samurai Warriors 4 and Dead or Alive 5, which are the games my wife plays.

Everything else is in a cupboard, but I'm a bit different from everybody else in that I love opening it and selecting a few games for an afternoon of gameplay.  I recently dig out Ryse, Shadow of Mordor and Mario and Soni at the Sochi Olympics, and had a blast.  It's even more fun when I haven't played the console at all in months, like when I dig out the Lynx, Saturn or something.  Best of all is when I decide to have a play on the DS is PSP, for each of which I literally have hundreds of games - I can choose some to play that I'd forgotten I even owned.

There's  no hope for me, but I do enjoy it.

• Upvote 1

I find avoiding sales as much as possible helps, and the trading folder. I've got the HUKD app but I only have keywords activated for the things I actually want to buy; the rest of the time I try to avoid it as much as possible. The pull of the bargain is a strong one, but my logic is that if I avoid sales where I would normally spend money on games I'm not overly fussed about, then I can justify buying a game that I really want at a non-sale price.

Another thing I find useful for PS+ subscriptions and the like is adding the games to my digital library, so they're banked for the month, but then not downloading them, so they don't appear on the home screen, or only downloading the ones I'm certain I'll play imminently. If I ever want to play the games I've banked I can just go onto the PS store and download them, although the fact that I haven't done this once, I don't think, is quite telling of how little I actually get from most PS Plus games.

Like others, I also have a big spreadsheet of all the games I want, ranked by review aggregate score and my own desire to play them. There are about 80 games on it at the moment, and many of them I know I'll never get round to playing, but that doesn't stop me adding more every month once I've read the Edge reviews. In a way, this serves as a sort of surrogate backlog for me: it's still a big list of games I'm not playing, but of course I haven't actually spent any money on them.

I also don't game on the PC, and so completely avoid Steam and the sales.

12 hours ago, wretcherd said:

You've never bought something cheap in a sale and not got around to it, or got free games through ps plus or xbox live? Got stuck on a difficult bit and endeavoured to return?

Not saying I've never ever done this. But the way I see it is; if I only buy games I know I'm going to immediately start playing right there and then (or after they've downloaded) then even if I pay full price for everything it still works out cheaper compared to buying things in sales and then never playing them. I'd rather just buy the exact things I want rather than try to save £5-10 here or there by buying games on sale I think I'm going to want to play one day.

But then, I'm probably a "casual" gamer these days, and am not big into steam. So maybe it's much harder if you're more into that culture.

• Upvote 1

My personal annoyance is not finishing a game, especially if im liking it.  I've usually moved on to something new /shiny and cant find the time to go back.  So im 12 hours into Witcher 3, mid way in Wolfy New Order, mid way in loads of games.  But I've made a concerted effort to finish indie / walking games this year and have done well in those so dont feel too guilty. 

I've actually been not too bad at building up a backlog, except the last couple of months has seen a bit of an explosion - new Switch games, and I picked up a PSVR so, you know, there's a bunch of experiences awaiting my attention for XMas.

Otherwise, I finished pretty much all of the games I started this year, which is not always the case. And a few of those were impulse purchases after reading threads on here (Mad Max, Arkham Knight). Only one I didn't was probably Persona 5, and that's always a risk with JRPGs. Same will go for Xenoblade II on Switch - still haven't finished the first on Wii or DS; nor X on WiiU.

So yeah, JRPGs; contributing to my PoS for decades...

I gave up on clearing my collection years ago. This year in particular I've mostly kept things to one story driven single player title (so Persona 5 at the moment, FFXV before that) and one or two multiplayer titles (currently Overwatch for family game time as we pass the pad, Fortnite for myself and Diablo 3 for co op sessions for me and my other half).

I also stay out of discussion around a story driven game whilst I'm playing it as I often feel more pressured to get it finished at a similar rate to others rather than just enjoy it at my own pace.

• Upvote 1

Funny side effect of backlogs. When I'm reading game reviews and see someone complaining, 'I liked it but it only took 3 hours to complete everything.' I'm like - perfect! Suddenly a good quality short game is way more valuable. Excessive game lengths and a desire to complete really boosted my backlog to a silly size.

Having a bit of a backlog doesn't bother me anymore. Sure, I went silly collecting stuff but I've got a load of games to play. Wheres the problem?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, PengTiki said:

Funny side effect of backlogs. When I'm reading game reviews and see someone complaining, 'I liked it but it only took 3 hours to complete everything.' I'm like - perfect! Suddenly a good quality short game is way more valuable. Excessive game lengths and a desire to complete really boosted my backlog to a silly size.

Having a bit of a backlog doesn't bother me anymore. Sure, I went silly collecting stuff but I've got a load of games to play. Wheres the problem?

Another good thing re reviews and backlogs, you read some review written often before or right on the launch of a game, moaning about server problems or some other issues, and you know by the time you get around to playing the game all that will be sorted (hopefully).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vimster said:

Another good thing re reviews and backlogs, you read some review written often before or right on the launch of a game, moaning about server problems or some other issues, you know you'll only play it for five minutes before being distracted by something else and never touching it again anyway. 

FTFY.