rllmuk
Uzi

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

6 hours ago, Broker said:

I mean, it's not like games don;t launch with shit systems that don't really matter. Someone already said that a lot of the unlockable moves are useless, and the game is full of stupid shit that's a waste of time, for instance when the horse boss died we got a "memory" which I had to go into a menu to "confront" which increased one of the stats. Literally no point in that entire sequence of events, prompts, logos, texts and stuff, you could just get the upgrade from beating the boss.

Except there are always some people who will want to beat the game in the most stupidly difficult way possible, like by not upgrading their stats at all. So it's optional.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, kensei said:

do it whatever way works for you and ignore all this sort of git gud nonsense

Its not git gud nonsense, man. :hmm:

Sure, but it’s not hard to have an item like the calamity ring, which allows harder play through for those people without forcing everyone else who buys the game into wasting their time, a decision that would be consistent with their extra tutorials and generic story delivery in this game, which are both things squarely targeted at attracting a wider variety of people. Even having a single prompt at the boss location saying “absorb power?” which you could go back to would be better designed than the icons and menu items they’ve created which literally just offer you that option.

In many ways it just feels like a much more “normal” game than the Souls series and Bloodborne. Those games are full of clever twists on recognised mechanics and design decisions, where this generally goes for more ordinary design choices, assumedly to try to drive wider appeal, hence the tutorial stuff, the constant terrible dialogue, the other story stuff like the memories, the relatively simple (if convoluted) currency system etc. I’d prefer if it was a bit more esoteric.

• Downvote 2

Some of the stuff here is a bit “well didn’t need to use the thing so it shouldn’t be in the game” :P - god forbid the developer offer some freedom for players to find the tools and techniques that work for them. ;) 

• Upvote 1

I laughed at the

Spoiler

Ghost of Sekiro Future in the monastery. The blobby bloke who keeps coming back to life and chundering everywhere. 

Beat one of the 7 Spears, the general at the top of the stairs and the Dojo Guy. Butterfly woman killed me again but she's clearly do-able. One-armed Ninja bloke is tough and the lock-on camera goes nuts in that little space :(  Not going anywhere near giant Bow-bro for the moment. 

20 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Some of the stuff here is a bit “well didn’t need to use the thing so it shouldn’t be in the game” :P - god forbid the developer offer some freedom for players to find the tools and techniques that work for them. ;) 

Again though, their design goals in removing weapon variety, stats, armour etc would suggest that variety isn’t what they’re aiming for. The prosthetics remind me of upgrades in Arkham and Rockstar games, they’re there to rock a box because games have that stuff, but because they’re optional they offer very minor upgrades that might not be worth bothering with.

I honestly don’t know what to say other than it doesn’t seem like a game for you.

It’s easily up there with their other stuff for me because I think it’s got the best combat out of the lot, I really like how it’s a lot more streamlined in the RPG elements and I absolutely love the setting and level design.

It just sounds to me that you want another DS/BB and you’re looking for as many negatives in it as you can.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, JPL said:

I honestly don’t know what to say other than it doesn’t seem like a game for you.

It’s easily up there with their other stuff for me because I think it’s got the best combat out of the lot, I really like how it’s a lot more streamlined in the RPG elements and I absolutely love the setting and level design.

It just sounds to me that you want another DS/BB and you’re looking for as many negatives in it as you can.

Aside from the dialogue, I didn’t make any specific criticisms, unless you count describing it as ordinary. I’m glad that people enjoy it, and it’s not really relevant if it’s for me because it’s my girlfriend playing it. It’s just interesting to see how bloated some of it’s systems are, when the game seems to be designed to refine them. It was a problem with their previous games, but one that got lost in the muddle of other systems. 

I think I’m just not fond of it being the first one of their games where you actually have to git gud.

9 minutes ago, Broker said:

Aside from the dialogue, I didn’t make any specific criticisms, unless you count describing it as ordinary. I’m glad that people enjoy it, and it’s not really relevant if it’s for me because it’s my girlfriend playing it. It’s just interesting to see how bloated some of it’s systems are, when the game seems to be designed to refine them. It was a problem with their previous games, but one that got lost in the muddle of other systems. 

I think I’m just not fond of it being the first one of their games where you actually have to git gud.

Yeah, I don’t want to get into semantics. I think it’s more that you seem really down on it. Not all games can be for everyone though and there’s nothing wrong with that. Maybe Elden Ring will be more your thing.

In other news, what the fuck has happened to the forum? It’s all over the place on iPhone.

Elden Ring is literally exactly my thing, I was already annoyed by the lack of build variety and weapons in Bloodborne. I want a million options.

5 hours ago, Broker said:

Sure, but it’s not hard to have an item like the calamity ring, which allows harder play through for those people without forcing everyone else who buys the game into wasting their time, a decision that would be consistent with their extra tutorials and generic story delivery in this game, which are both things squarely targeted at attracting a wider variety of people. Even having a single prompt at the boss location saying “absorb power?” which you could go back to would be better designed than the icons and menu items they’ve created which literally just offer you that option.

Sekiro actually has at least two different ways to make it harder for the craic built in. The normal game is what From considers easy mode. 

3 hours ago, Broker said:

Again though, their design goals in removing weapon variety, stats, armour etc would suggest that variety isn’t what they’re aiming for. The prosthetics remind me of upgrades in Arkham and Rockstar games, they’re there to rock a box because games have that stuff, but because they’re optional they offer very minor upgrades that might not be worth bothering with.

That's absolute bollocks and you wouldn't know because you've played about ten percent of the game. 

42 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

That's absolute bollocks and you wouldn't know because you've played about ten percent of the game. 

Sorry to dare question the perfection of the game. I’ll remember for future reference that you respond angrily to that, then make sure I never criticise anything you like again.

Please understand: It's not that you're critical of a game I enjoyed because I've shared plenty of my own criticisms in this thread, it's that you're in no position to make sweeping statements because you've barely touched it.

I've no interest in an argument about it, but you might be a bit more patient before saying such and such is 'pointless'. Hope you enjoy it more as it goes on. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Broker said:

The prosthetics remind me of upgrades in Arkham and Rockstar games, they’re there to rock a box because games have that stuff, but because they’re optional they offer very minor upgrades that might not be worth bothering with.

If we're making comparisons, there's actually a FromSoft equivalent - hunter tools in Bloodborne. The difference there being that BB has levelling and build variety and so you either go through the game never using them or (with an arcane build) are absolutely dependent on them for particular scenarios, because you didn't bother levelling strength or skill (ahem.) With Sekiro, everything's viable from the beginning, so I wanted to try everything I could find. :D In any case, I'm not sure if FromSoft is the type to tick boxes, but this is all speculation now.

Haha, suck it Genichiro!

Was probably my worst performance on the first part, by that point I'd done it so many times I could pretty much get by without a hit. Don't feel like I had much of a chance to get good at the second phase. Never managed to do the lightning parry thing.

• Upvote 8

Well, my girlfriend got stuck fighting long armed centipede giraffe so I had a few goes. That’s an awesome fight, really forces you to play in Sekiro’s style, short run, no stupid adds to kill. 

Having big flourish'y moves which leave you open for stabbing on L1/R1 in a game where you spend most of your time alternately hammering L1 and R1 is fucking stupid. Particularly annoying now I have the

Spoiler

mortal blade

I keep it un-equipped which seems like a waste. 

On 17/07/2019 at 07:45, Broker said:

but it’s not hard to have an item like the calamity ring, which allows harder play through

The game has one of these.  Two, technically. 

On 24/07/2019 at 16:39, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Having big flourish'y moves which leave you open for stabbing on L1/R1 in a game where you spend most of your time alternately hammering L1 and R1 is fucking stupid. Particularly annoying now I have the

Reveal hidden contents

mortal blade

I keep it un-equipped which seems like a waste. 

It's not the game's fault you can't slow your fingers down enough to accidentally press two buttons at once.   Some of the combat arts are fucking amazingly OP. 

On 22/07/2019 at 16:51, Mr Combo Breaker said:

adds?

I feel like the big fatty baseball bat guys should be jump-kickable when they bend over after their big windup swing but it doesn't seem to do much to their block-o-meter.

Parrying their attacks (esp the big wind up one) will smash their poise really quick, the higher the poise damage, the more health damage they'll take. 

But yeah, they're not my favourite enemies to fight either. 

On 17/07/2019 at 09:53, Qazimod said:

Yeah I don't think the tools shouldn't be in the game.  I just wish they were a bit more.. necessary. 

• Upvote 1