Uzi

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (2019) - Get ready to get hooked

So I'm on my fourth Bloodborne playthough,  rocking +9 Blade of Mercy, Boomhammer & Whilrligig.

Already burned through 3 times before - including a NG++.

I might finally have tired of BB in time for the release of this :D

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Man, Miyazaki has such a brilliant understanding of game design. Pretty much everything he says is music to my ears.

All sounds good to me, especially the focus on mobility and tense sword fights. Looks like the replayability will come in your approaches to the encounters (i.e. parry god/stealth/gadgets), and the DS1 open world design.

The lack of multiplayer and messaging is a blow but when I thought about it more, I'm not too bothered. Sure you lose out on that shared experience in-game, jolly co-op and PVP. But in Bloodborne I had about 5 multiplayer co-op/PVP encounters in the whole game, and I really wouldn't have missed it if it wasn't there. From Software's focus on stronger NPC allies in their recent games has also made jolly co-op less necessary to beat hard bosses when you get stuck.

The messaging system is a bit more radical as it's such a cool concept and adds quite a lot to the experience. However I gotta say it's when I've been offline in Soulsborne games (or just in an area that people don't leave summoning signs/messages) that I've felt the most immersed. With no warning messages, advice, trolls, encouragement, it's all down to you. You feel more alone, isolated, and part of the game world - not a shared multiplayer game. I played Bloodborne for the first time years after its release and as a result there were few messages around. I think the resulting experience was far more tense and atmospheric. So I think you gain as much as you lose by removing them. 

Plus hopefully the removal of co-op and messaging means there will be less focus on cheap ambushes, bosses designed for co-op, super obscure hidden things that kinda screw you if you don't have messaging on. Of course there will always be the online community sharing their findings so that element will remain, but in-game it could be a tighter, fairer experience that will promote cautious play and raise tension. I remember the other week tiptoeing around Anor Londo as I was offline, and it was so much more tense without messages pointing out every trap and enemy ahead.

Although you lose a lot of gameplay value by removing the multiplayer elements, I'm all for seeing how it pans out for an ultra immersive single player only campaign. I remain optimistic!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jonamok said:

Sounds perfect :wub: Sounds more like what I personally would have wanted a sequel to Dark Souls to be than any of the actual sequels!

Best game ever confirmed?? :omg: Anyway, I'm going to be all about the stealth and if they had let me name my character I would have chosen RIkimaru. But I'll take what I can get, especially if the getting is as good as Sekiro sounds right now

Clicked the link but stopped reading pretty quickly. Realised I've already heard enough to know this will be special, and don't want to know more. Nothing to do but wait...

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Clicked the link but stopped reading pretty quickly. Realised I've already heard enough to know this will be special, and don't want to know more. Nothing to do but wait...

Ditto.  You only get one go at experiencing it for the first time.  I've regretted the amount I spoiled for myself beforehand on every other title.  

No more!

Slightly nervous about the difficulty in this, it needs to be difficult in the right ways.

I think I’ve put so many hours into these games I feel like I can see the matrix a bit and I know for a fact that enemies and mainly bosses do moves in response to a button input.

I don’t mind this to a certain extent but if it’s too much it will affect the game.

Have an enemy jump on my head and wipe me out because I wasn’t paying attention - fine

Have an enemy do an attack and wipe me out just because it registered I pressed a button - bad

I get enough of the latter playing AI in fighting games.

I hope this gets a simultaneous world wide release and not a Japan only release a month before we get it like the Dark Souls games. Interesting article that, told myself I wouldn't read it but I succumbed, his comments about acti and a tutorial/managing difficulty for the player were interesting.

9 minutes ago, Minion said:

I hope this gets a simultaneous world wide release and not a Japan only release a month before we get it like the Dark Souls games. Interesting article that, told myself I wouldn't read it but I succumbed, his comments about acti and a tutorial/managing difficulty for the player were interesting.

Reading between the lines I assume you can go full-fat From by simply skipping any tutorial. Fair enough.

8 hours ago, Goemon said:

Slightly nervous about the difficulty in this, it needs to be difficult in the right ways.

I think I’ve put so many hours into these games I feel like I can see the matrix a bit and I know for a fact that enemies and mainly bosses do moves in response to a button input.

I don’t mind this to a certain extent but if it’s too much it will affect the game.

Have an enemy jump on my head and wipe me out because I wasn’t paying attention - fine

Have an enemy do an attack and wipe me out just because it registered I pressed a button - bad

I get enough of the latter playing AI in fighting games.

Can you explain with an example? 

I've not seen this in any of the games. 

Well, in this video the AI parries the guy's first attack multiple times.

Parrying mid-combo is believable but for multiple parries of the first attack, that's some crazy skill of timing for the AI and more likely the AI reading the input of the attack and then parrying.  

It isn't just linked to parries though. Have you never had it where you've been squaring off against an AI, you've pressed a button and the AI as done it just at the same time and their attack won out? You could write that off an unlucky timing but I'd personally consider it input reading.

I'm not here to moan about input reading AI, I don't think it's too bad in these games. My concern is that they've said that this game is going to be the hardest yet and I don't want that be because they've made something like this...

As mentioned, fighting games are notorious for it. 

5 hours ago, Goemon said:

Well, in this video the AI parries the guy's first attack multiple times.

Parrying mid-combo is believable but for multiple parries of the first attack, that's some crazy skill of timing for the AI and more likely the AI reading the input of the attack and then parrying.  

It isn't just linked to parries though. Have you never had it where you've been squaring off against an AI, you've pressed a button and the AI as done it just at the same time and their attack won out? You could write that off an unlucky timing but I'd personally consider it input reading.

I'm not here to moan about input reading AI, I don't think it's too bad in these games. My concern is that they've said that this game is going to be the hardest yet and I don't want that be because they've made something like this...

As mentioned, fighting games are notorious for it. 

That sorcerer in the Grand Archives is a total parrying mare! I never linked it to inputs though, I just thought it was good AI. To be fair any PvP'r worth their salt would never R1 spam a real player especially if they had a parrying tool, in the video the player hits with 2 R1's then is parried on the 3rd, this is a really basic mechanic that is punished when you fight a human who knows the mechanics (only the first 2 hits stun you). I always thought it was just intended that this NPC would parry you like Holy Knight Hodrick in Undead Settlement and by this stage in the game you should have learned the counters to this. There are attacks and weapons that can't be parried so I use those against these characters as I thought it was intended. Are you sure it's based on inputs? And if so is it really an issue as it's basically saying that you need to use other attacks or weapons that can't be parried against this enemy? From are always teaching you man, that's what's so great about their games and I feel that DS3 is the most complete and sophisticated version of their combat mechanics.