Sign in to follow this  
Rob_Pulsar

OSSC - Open Source Scan Converter

On 3/13/2018 at 21:47, super_quincy said:

So it's arrived and out of the box it plays nicely with my Elgato HD 60.

I think I've got a shit load of fiddling to get the best out of it but I'm very pleased with the results so far, plus it keeps the aspect ratio unlike my old SCART to HDMI convertor

Good capture test sample, I take it you had scanlines on during the video? Now that they've come down in price I might grab one in the future, as I've now seen a few people had it up and running with Elgato software now.

That said I've seen a few PS2 and Saturn videos where it doesn't work that well with certainly types of video display used in games and it also can have problem with games that have transition between resolutions. One channel did find a transition fix for Megamix on Saturn but it does come at the cost of quality:

Certainly looks ideal for the 16bit systems, like the SNES, MD and NEOGEO after tuning, this video demos someone tuning it for the NEOGEO:

The end result on Fatal Fury for the NEOGEO is perfect in that video, but I'm come to the verdict you won't get that with every game, certainly not on later systems.

I switch between the HD60 and a Hauppauge Rocket - the latter deals well with a wider array of resolutions than the Elgato, and seeing as most old games run below 1080p it records them all at 60fps. Finally, as it all goes on Youtube, recordings maxing out at about 12-15mb bitrates doesn't matter too much, as that's more than YT outputs anyway.

Does the ossc output audio over HDMI now? I read the problem was solved in the comments of a YouTube review but found no further details.

Thanks for letting me know. I watched a video review recently where they were complaining about this so good to hear that problem is solved.

Yeah, 1.6 has been the latest hardware for a while now, and it's excellent. 

It also keeps getting better with every firmware update too. It's so good, that I'm a bit like "why do I own a framemeister as well?"

Is it possible to connect component, scart and the component audio to an av receiver at the same time?

I want it mainly for my older xbox and wii for gamecube games.

I read a post on the OSSC site with someone who had issues with some xbox games but I think as it's soft modded I should be able to change the default resolution to 480p by switching to NSTC.  In worst case I could let it pass through just converting to hdmi.

Not 100% on connections via AV receivers, but sound input is via SCART for that particular connection, and via a jack input for component, so both can definitely be fully hooked up at the same time.

I find the OSSC itself doesn't have many issues with games and can output all manner of weird and wacky resolutions - it's more the TV/monitor you run it to that causes issues. Modern TVs aren't well equipped for varying SD signals in the most part. Admittedly I'm not sure why OG Xbox would cause problems, but there you go. And yeah, softmod means you can run at 480p, so most everything will be fine.