Sign in to follow this  
Rob_Pulsar

OSSC - Open Source Scan Converter

Does anyone here own one of these devices? If so, what are your thoughts?  I’ve just placed an order for one which should arrive before the end of the year as I have been keen to try it for a while. 

I’ve previously had an XRGB Mini and expect this to offer similar 240p performance albeit with fewer options and less lag. I plan to use it with a SNES and Neo Geo AES / MVS on an OLED TV. This is instead of my going for a CRT setup which isn’t really practical right now. 

I will post impressions once it arrives. 

Yup - got one and really like it. If you have a compatible monitor or screen the line 4x and line 5x can look awesome. I have a Framemeister too and prefer the OSSC as in many ways it is much more similar to the X-RGB2 and the X-RGB2+ in that it is much more straight forward to use.

Love it!

• Upvote 1

Not sure - I got mine through videogameperfection after being on the waiting list for a while. I think there is another guy that makes them and sells them as well as it is open source after all. I will see if i can find the link to that site if you like

Having said that apparently this has been "in development" for a while so not sure how far along it is. I dont have any of their component cables but they seem to have a decent rep. Just mentioning it as it would be good if there are more alternatives available to people.

4 hours ago, kernow said:

Going to buy one eventually, but keep putting it off. Were you on the pre-orders?

I was originally on the pre order list for the second batch but decided not to buy then as the product wasn’t quite as complete. 

Orders are now live for the next batch so get in quick if you’re keen. 

https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/open-source-converter/

I own one, it is pretty ace. Means I could get rid of my CRT. Though one problem is it doesn't support composite in. So I cant use my nes with it or my n64. Dreamcast looks very good through it. Snes and megadrive look great too.

For some reason my pal PS1 overscans with it and I can't figure out why. Actually I never really tried to figure out why.

17 hours ago, bplus said:

I own one, it is pretty ace. Means I could get rid of my CRT. Though one problem is it doesn't support composite in.

That's a bizarre choice. Are they targeting a wider market, perhaps? Component is really niche when it comes to consoles. I'd have thought a native composite RCA jack or even S-Vdeo would be better for retro folks. 

Can it do composite via SCART using a little breakout doofer, or does it need RGB SCART? The latter carries separate R/G/B signals alongside a separate composite signal. 

Could you RGB mod your N64? Which model is it? 

Yeah it takes rgb scart too. Pretty certain composite scart doesn't work. Yeah I did mob my n64 once, picture turned a bit dark so I undid it. I'll probably redo it at some point.

Yup - audio output via HDMI

very good and handles resolution changes much better than Framemeister.

One thing to bear in mind is that it essentially acts like the old XRGB2 and 2-Plus models in that essentially it is a line doubler (and video transcoder) but with additional options like line triple, quadruple and quintuple. Many tv's don't handle the triple, quadruple or quintuple modes at all although some are fine with them. Most monitors will handle them fine.

I love mine - got it through an Amiga forum, of all places, as a student was offering to get the parts and assemble without the hassle of the VGP waiting list. Paid a bit of a premium, but totally worth it. (thread here, though he's not planning on doing another run right now)

I now use it for grabbing retro consoles on my vids (which you can see here, cheap plug) - this is pretty much all running on the default settings. There's a hell of a lot of tweaking you can do to make things look different/probably better, but it's easily good enough out of the box. N64 needed an RGB mod, which I likely would have done anyway, PS2 via component, DC via VGA, PSX games via PSP component... yeah, I'm very happy with it.

Just remember it's not an upscaler. I think it's more just to get old machines working on new tellys.

• Upvote 2

I had a discussion with another YouTuber about running it into an Elgato, he said it was ok. I’m not sure I want to drop £200 on one just yet as it I’ll only get used for that. I have CRTs for normal use.

I do like your channel though @Ianos

9 hours ago, super_quincy said:

I had a discussion with another YouTuber about running it into an Elgato, he said it was ok. I’m not sure I want to drop £200 on one just yet as it I’ll only get used for that. I have CRTs for normal use.

I do like your channel though @Ianos

Ahthankyou.

I run mine into a Hauppauge Rocket rather than an Elgato, as the latter can be finicky with non-HD resolutions - and the aforementioned trouble it has with 4:3. The Rocket handles most of the resolutions I've thrown at it and records at more than good enough quality, 60fps if it's 720p or below.

But yeah, I've basically spunked £200 on an unnecessary luxury. A good one, but few people actually need an OSSC.

I recently got the OSSC and it's now replaced my Framemeister. The Framemeister is excellent, but this looks pretty much just as good and does feel quicker. 

I'm lucky enough to own a Samsung TV ( It's nothing special)  that accepts all the Line Doubling mode no problem. So Line 5X for 240p stuff and 4X Bob deinterlacing for 480i. 

Looks awesome and I love it. 

If it works the Open Source Scan Converter gives a really nice picture, but as it uses a non standard way to scale many devices don't support it, looking at this recent thread for me using an Elgato Gaming HD60 Pro is a no no. https://www.videogameperfection.com/forums/topic/capture-card-compatibility-report-thread/

Outside of capturing I have no use for an OSSC at present, as retro consoles I play on my CRT. Never had a problem with standard resolution capture on the Elgato, but only the old game capture HD supports retro consoles. The other devices like the HD60 Pro are HDMI 720p, 1080p only.

Just bought one! 

Only for use with a neogeo, I have both a stereo scart cable and a mono. The stereo one has a 3.5mm jack cable that plugs into the headphone jack on the front of the neo. 

Will the ossc see the stereo over scart? Or will I need to plugin a 3.5mm cable from the neo to the ossc? 

Just plugged in my OSSC which arrived yesterday, looking good so far,,, except I stupidly clicked power supply instead of remote on my order so cannot change any settings,

picture looks great but I want to play with scan lines.