Orko

A Hat in Time - 3D platformer coming to PS4, Xbox and PC

This looks lovely. So much charm and personality! Looks like everything Yooka-Laylee should have been. 

Eurogamer Recommended

In other words, A Hat in Time is marvellous. It is so much fun. This is a 3D platformer Kickstarted off the back of the fact that a bunch of people out there really like 3D platformers and are sad that they don't make many of them anymore. 

GameSpot 7/10

THE GOOD

Layers of collectibles to find provide a strong incentive to keep exploring

Charming worlds give fresh takes on 3D platformer level archetypes

Platforming is smooth and satisfying, if not challenging

THE BAD

The VO is over-the-top; silence is by far preferable

The first world is uninspired

Destructoid 8.5

Impressive effort with a few noticeable problems holding it back. Won't astound everyone, but is worth your time and cash

This is the game that features voice acting from youtube's favourite white supremacist (no, not that one or even that one) JonTron. Have the developers issued a statement yet? The publisher's statement was a bit of a nothing press release basically saying nothing to do with us.

10 minutes ago, Soulstar said:

What actually happened? as I know who JT is but nothing of this "incident".

He basically revealed his right wing power level, said things like immigrants are trying to take over the US, there's a Mexican "reconquering" happening and that rich black people commit more crime than poor white people.

And I think he was booted off Yooka-Laylee for all of that. Disappointing this lot haven't said a thing. I was interested in this but if they can't even come out and say they disagree with his views then no thank you. 

• Upvote 3

I think that not buying the game because of JonTron is a bit OTT, to be honest. It's not like he's the star of the show, he has a few lines as a 'receptionist owl'. The outrage bus will continue to roll on, obviously, but I think it should pick its battles and not boycott an entire game for something so minor. The dev probably should cut him and re-record the lines with someone else, but if they don't, it's not a deal breaker for me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

22 minutes ago, Rudderless said:

Yeah, they're seemingly being rewarded for keeping quiet about his continued involvement, whereas Playtonic took a stand and got a load of shit for it. 

2 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

It should also be noted that allegedly the lead developer once doxxed someone who no longer wanted to be associated with them and had asked to have their work removed.

http://tumblr.maxofs2d.net/post/134320977352/amp

I'll stick to Mario Odyssey. This looks interesting from the trailer but Odyssey looks a bazillion times better and there's less chance of accidentally supporting/condoning a racist fuckwit.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

I think that not buying the game because of JonTron is a bit OTT, to be honest. It's not like he's the star of the show, he has a few lines as a 'receptionist owl'. The outrage bus will continue to roll on, obviously, but I think it should pick its battles and not boycott an entire game for something so minor. The dev probably should cut him and re-record the lines with someone else, but if they don't, it's not a deal breaker for me.

I would agree if they hadn't remained totally silent about the issue.

I don't even think re-recording the lines are necessary. Just a statement saying that they obviously don't agree with his views but these decisions were made prior to him making his viewpoint known.

This is nowhere near as bad a situation as that amazing looking gamergate game, The Last Night. Where the general theme of the game is being human trash and hating women. This just happens to have a dickhead owl.

• Upvote 1

I don't agree with JT views but that doesn't mean i don't like his content.

I think this game looks alright but releasing it a few weeks before Mario i just don't have the urge to start a 3d platformer, especially when the SNES classic is keeping me occupied.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I'll stick to Mario Odyssey. This looks interesting from the trailer but Odyssey looks a bazillion times better and there's less chance of accidentally supporting/condoning a racist fuckwit.

David Duke does the voice of Mario in Odyssey. Sorry m8 :(

Robbed from Neogaf, but it seems like the main developer is a nasty piece of work as well:

Just as a heads up to most of you unaware, there's more reasons than just Jontron's inclusion to not pick this game up. The main developer of the game, Mecha the Slag (Jonas Kærlev), is a real jerk and has a pretty dark past.

http://tumblr.maxofs2d.net/post/134320977352/amp

https://web.archive.org/web/20150319...th.tumblr.com/

Long story short, he had taken MaxofS2D's work and made a hate/doxx website about him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rudderless said:

So many games are coming out that it's impossible to keep up with them all. With that in mind, it's quite easy to choose to avoid one from a studio that isn't prepared to at least make a statement denouncing those views. 

True, true.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Jon Tron’s middle name is Aryan. Odd.

Not when you consider his surname, Aryan is a relatively common name in Iran and amongst Shia Muslims generally  - the country itself is closely related to and indeed shares it's name with the Aryan myth. Hitler was a big fan and used how advanced Iran was as proof the Aryans were a master race. Of course this was back when Iran was on par with much of Europe developmentally, before ourselves and the US completely fucked it over in the post war period. In the West, Aaron and Arianna have the same root. 

None of this in any way absolves this guy of being a cock. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

Not when you consider his surname, Aryan is a relatively common name in Iran and amongst Shia Muslims generally  - the country itself is closely related to and indeed shares it's name with the Aryan myth. Hitler was a big fan and used how advanced Iran was as proof the Aryans were a master race. Of course this was back when Iran was on par with much of Europe developmentally, before ourselves and the US completely fucked it over in the post war period. In the West, Aaron and Arianna have the same root. 

None of this in any way absolves this guy of being a cock. 

I thought Aaron was the brother of Moses, i.e. a Hebrew name? Wikipedia says it comes from the Egyptian for "Warrior Lion."

16 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I thought Aaron was the brother of Moses, i.e. a Hebrew name? Wikipedia says it comes from the Egyptian for "Warrior Lion."

I was told the root of Aaron/Aryan meant noble, I doubt many of those baby naming sites are going to linger too long on the connection with Hitler.

That’s a shame, I’ll be avoiding it but hopefully others will see it’s success and make a similar game that doesn’t glamourise a massive cunt.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

You know what? Just fucking cool it with mob mentality. This game has been in development for years and years and just because it turned out one voice-over in it lands slightly on the right wing side of things recently - doesn't mean they're supporting shit.

Let him have his voice and show him fairness in the work that he does (he is a damn hard worker); that's how you change people's opinions rather than pushing them away.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 25

1 hour ago, Mortis said:

Yeah let’s just leave the racist alone - he’s not doing anyone any harm with his intolerant views. After all it’s only a game right - it’s not as if using his voice is legitimising him in any way. 

Actually this, 100%

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Pretty much sums things up. freedom of speech is pretty fucking important - maybe if we didn't jump down the throats of people we disagree with there wouldn't be a Brexit or a Trump in the Whitehouse.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 28

3 minutes ago, Retroid said:

Actually this, 100%

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Pretty much sums things up. freedom of speech is pretty fucking important - maybe if we didn't jump down the throats of people we disagree with there wouldn't be a Brexit or a Trump in the Whitehouse.

1 hour ago, JPickford said:

Fuck that.

• Upvote 3