Pants McSkill

Football Manager 2018 - Lower League Forumite stories abound

The annual data update of Football 'It's just bloody teletext' Manager is on it's way, with the same old surface changes while ignoring the core mech...

Wait a second! There might be actual genuine changes this year!

Here's one of the most laughably awkward announcement videos you're ever likely to see. 

Dump of the screenshots from the end.

https://imgur.com/a/ZIXSU

The headlines: New UI, New Draft Mode, New Matchday Screen and MASSIVE scouting changes.

BVmHTpv.png

VwZNrkc.png

This dynamic stuff does look like it might be quite interesting to be fair and depending on how its actually implemented might give us something else to consider when building a team. If they can also actually make the scouting a bit better then even better!

I lost some faith in FM two years ago when in interviews they'd say things like 'as in real football, you need to adjust your tactics for different opponents and the specific players you have', suggesting we should apply real-world football thinking to it, but *whatever* you did the back-side wide midfielder would never mark anything or tuck in the back side of the midfield to make a compact block, so WBs and FBs could just run freely off them and loads of goals came from that. The whole tactics thing is a load of bodges and fudges, which I can understand (it's a hard thing to do), but it annoys me that they then pretend problems people come from people not thinking footballistically enough.

It's also a bit humourless and scared of legal action when it could be this excellent narrative playground if they loosened it up a bit (much, much weirder and more fun stuff happens in real football than in FM).

The old ARSE command was great for that. By adding ARSE to a config file, the CM3 series allowed more extreme things to happen in the game that would otherwise only happen to regens, like assaulting the referee.

• Upvote 1

I’d forgot all about ARSE!  Was always good fun.  We used to edit the commentary file to add our own.  Seeing that a striker had “ballooned it like Baz”, a dig at @disperse and recoagulate’s poor finishing skills, always raised a smile.

I already have this on pre order. My 21st year playing the game. 

I used to absolutely love FM up until, I think, FM11 (I did try FM12 but didn't like it). By that point everything had become a chore (the player interaction stuff never got interesting, press conferences were rubbish etc) and core issues never seemed to be fixed (quality of regens over time got worse and worse, you could win everything for years and never see your stadium improve etc). That team dynamic stuff just looks like another layer of interaction that isn't really going to be much fun to engage with and will get old fast.

It's a shame, sometimes I fancy get back on board with it; there's nothing quite like bringing your own players through the ranks and seeing them go on to great things, or being a small club and selling a player for big bucks to ensure survival for another year, or a tense relegation battle and so on. Ultimately though I found stuff outside the actual matches more fun than playing around with tactics all the time, so the series has definitely passed me by now, sadly.

• Upvote 1

One thing I've noticed about the graphical engine is that it likes my PC more this year, choosing 'recommended settings for this PC' on FM17 meant it couldn't handle animating a crowd so every game was played to absolutely nobody, although playing as Cov meant it was the most realistic simulation in years.

• Upvote 1

Are you a Cov fan @wullie ? There should be Atleast a crowd of 1, I’m a season ticket holder ;)

Whats the deal with playing this then carrying your save over ? I assume you can only pick minimal leagues in the demo so you’re best off starting again with the full game ?

Just now, CovisGod said:

Are you a Cov fan @wullie ? There should be Atleast a crowd of 1, I’m a season ticket holder ;)

Whats the deal with playing this then carrying your save over ? I assume you can only pick minimal leagues in the demo so you’re best off starting again with the full game ?

It's the full game and will roll over to release. Just make sure you but it from Steam, Greenman gaming or any other authorised seller otherwise you might not get the beta.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

There's a crowd again now! 10000 attendance for the single league game* I've played so far although it looked a lot more empty, which is depressingly realistic.

* coincidentally a 3-0 romp over Notts County, just not the Jodi Jones show this time out

Is there going to be a demo of this?   

Never properly played a FM game, since I always play Pes Master League and that takes up a lot of time...  Now that PES ML is dead to me, I need a different fix.

17 minutes ago, meatbin said:

Is there going to be a demo of this?   

Never properly played a FM game, since I always play Pes Master League and that takes up a lot of time...  Now that PES ML is dead to me, I need a different fix.

There will be a demo at some point. Not exactly sure when they usually put them out though.

Another small patch came out an hour ago

Change list includes (but is not limited to) the following:

Beta Changelist 18.0.3

Stability and Tech

- Further stability fixes
- Improvements to slowdown and lag found in game
- In-match sounds now play across entire match and in commentary only mode
- Removal of incorrect Hz setting within display preferences

Graphics and UI

- Fixes to Retina Mac
- Fix to white screen appearing on launch
- Processing panel now appears with correct information