Sign in to follow this  
ScouserInExile

How to get the best out of my CRT

In my office / games room, I have an ancient Philips CRT TV (a25sl5760/25b to be precise) that all my consoles, baring my Bone, are hooked up to.

I regularly use with it:

Wii

PS1 / PS2 / PS3 (these all use the same SCART lead)

Xbox

I occasionally use with it

Dreamcast

MD

SNES

At the back, it has:

M63RYQ2.jpg

And at the front

MVet8ix.jpg

It deals with anything the Xbox / PlayStations / DC throw at it, PAL or NTSC via SCART, but doesn't do NTSC from the Wii, at least not with the cables I have. The 360 is currently plugged into the front and doesn't look great.

What I'd really like to do is have the regularly used consoles all permanently hooked up, so I'm not having to get round the back and unplug cables.

What are my best options for hooking all these up?

As often as you can you should be using RGB scart.  Get as many of those cables as you can for your consoles (even get the consoles modded if needed) and get them plugged into one of those two scart sockets.  I'm guessing the blue one as the red one seems to say S-VHS above it.  Might be wrong on that one though.

Then, for those RGB scart consoles get 1 or more (daisy chained if need be) scart switch blocks.  The silver ones from Argos are excellent and carry the signal well.

For the non RGB scart consoles, either try to get them modded/converted to RGB scart or try the next best cable - in this order: Svideo (into the Svideo port to the left of the blue scart socket in your picture) and Composite either at the front in the yellow, white and red ports OR better still, into scart convertors (a dozen a dime) which all then go into the other scart socket on your TV (again using an Argos switch block).

No wires in the front which looks nice and the best image quality from each console based on what they support.

Cheers...

• Upvote 1

In my experience, daisy-chaining SCART boxes is the road to a) picture quality loss b) confusion when you want to switch :D

I've settled for one SCART switch box (make sure you get a decent one) which has three RGB inputs.  The other SCART leads are sitting behind my TV unit in an easily accessible position.  When I want to switch to one not already plugged in, it's a two-second job to plug it in as long as they're all labelled.  I tend to switch everything off when switching.  

All the consoles you've listed have RGB SCART options.  Go with that for all of them.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

I have RGB SCART cables for everything except the 360(s). I also have a SCART switcher thing that could do the job. I'll have to have a play.

How do I know if a game / console is outputting RGB? 

a lot of crt will display the input method if you (re)select the channel. After that its a case of knowing if the console even outputs an rgb signal.

For the HD capable last gen consoles, wouldn't it be preferable to have them connected to a HDTV? Several games were clearly never designed to be played at SD resolutions judging by the font choices.

3 hours ago, mushashi said:

For the HD capable last gen consoles, wouldn't it be preferable to have them connected to a HDTV? Several games were clearly never designed to be played at SD resolutions judging by the font choices.

I wondered how long it'd take someone to say "buy a better TV". I like my CRT - great picture, great sound, can use it with lightgun games. I can't afford a crappy HD TV right now, let alone a decent one. So it's staying.

My xbone gets exclusive access to two HD TV's in the house, can't leave any other consoles set up downstairs.

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

I wondered how long it'd take someone to say "buy a better TV". I like my CRT - great picture, great sound, can use it with lightgun games. I can't afford a crappy HD TV right now, let alone a decent one. So it's staying.

My xbone gets exclusive access to two HD TV's in the house, can't leave any other consoles set up downstairs.

360 with a rgb scart cable doesnt look too bad to be honest same as the wii

On 9/23/2017 at 16:44, ScouserInExile said:

I have no idea how you came to that conclusion from what I wrote? :(

I was just commenting that the HD consoles (PS3 and X360) were not really designed to be used on SDTVs primarily, as some games famously had text which was highly difficult to read when used on them.

As your reply gave the reasons for why you have to use them with a SDTV, then I'd agree that you should have them connected via RGB SCART as suggested if you want the best picture quality, though RGB SCART leads for most consoles are a bit of a minefield as output quality is highly variable outside of the official ones, same for component leads in my experience.

a little bump here.

Two more questions:

The 360 RGB SCART cable I've bought also had a s-video connectors. Which of the two will give the best picture?

I now have RGB SCART cables for PS1/2/3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii and DC, but only one SCART socket in my TV that does RGB and NTSC. I can swap cables as and when, since I tend to stick with one console for a while, but I'm always concerned I'm knackering the telly by yanking cables out. So I want a SCART switcher thing that'll do RGB. I thought I had one, but can't find it. Is there a particular brand or model I should be buying?

RGB always on a CRT unless you have a component one which is unlikely.

You need to get a switcher because you'll fuck your TV. Try Maplin's, normally have some good ones.

28 minutes ago, nakamura said:

RGB always on a CRT unless you have a component one which is unlikely.

You need to get a switcher because you'll fuck your TV. Try Maplin's, normally have some good ones.

charity shops are worth a look too i grabbed a decent manual one from a local charity shop last year that i use on my smaller tv but yeah maplins should do the trick

33 minutes ago, Camel said:

would those phono ports let me output from the switch to a amp?

1 hour ago, nakamura said:

I have one just like that. My phono posts are connected to an amp and it does up to 5.1 Pro Logic 2. 

ahh nice one saves me having to buy cables with photo cables for my saturn and gamecube

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Yay. Found my SCART switcher. Everything looks great through it. The 360 especially. Which is astounding, considering the cable was 99p from Maplin.

You think 480i looks amazing?