Keyboard Koala

Kirby Star Allies

The first Kirby game for the Nintendo Switch has finally been named:

latest?cb=20180111164632&path-prefix=en

kirby-star-allies-art.jpg

Kirby Star Allies is a platform game played from a side-down perspective. Players control the series' titular protagonist Kirby can be accompanied by up to three companions. Kirby can throw hearts at enemies to turn them into his allies. The game can be played alone with the game's AI controlling companions or co-operatively with other players controlling companions. When Kirby has companions, new special attacks become available which allow Kirby to combine his abilities with those of his allies', a feature not seen since Kirby: Squeak Squad.

Also, when Kirby has three allies, they can perform special "Friend Abilities" like "Friends Train" and "Friend Star."

Kirby Star Allies is being developed by HAL Laboratory and published by Nintendo. The game was initially teased under the tentative title Kirby during the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2017. In September 2017, the game's official title was announced during a Nintendo Direct presentation. The game is scheduled to be released for the Nintendo Switch game console on 16 March 2018

Debut trailer:

Launch trailer:

Accolades trailer:

Kirby Star Allies is set for a Spring 2018 release on the Nintendo Switch.

37DWcT4.png

• Upvote 5

Is this the only Nintendo game out in March then? Not that I'm complaining but in that case I'd rather part ways with my money now so I'll feel less guilty towards my bankaccount in March. 

34 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

So... this is your first Kirby then? :P

I have to admit the only one I actually own and played a bit of is the 3DS version of Kirby's Adventure. :(

I love the look of the modern installments on 3DS and almost bought Robobot but they've always been a bit too pricey for my liking. Even second hand copies seem to retain their value for ages! 

20 minutes ago, VN1X said:

I have to admit the only one I actually own and played a bit of is the 3DS version of Kirby's Adventure. :(

I love the look of the modern installments on 3DS and almost bought Robobot but they've always been a bit too pricey for my liking. Even second hand copies seem to retain their value for ages! 

Give in. Let Kirby into your life. Embrace the stars. Start humming happiness.

57 minutes ago, VN1X said:

That's not mine (black theme 4 ever). 

I was wondering why that home screen looked so horrible and wrong!

i wasn't really feeling the demo either - looked nice and bright but I didn't like the controls and all the character powers and swapping fire just confused me.

I don't understand the franchise. Or, at least, I don't understand people's enthusiasm for it. I haven't played a Kirby game that hasn't bored me to death and this demo was no different.

I always try Kirby games expecting 2D platformers and then remember they're more like 2D walking simulators. The character designs are absolutely hideous and the overall presentation, from the menus to the fonts, screams mediocre, made-on-the-cheap middleware. The proposal to spend fifty quid on something like this when you could get three or four radically better (and cuter) indie games instead will remain unpalatable to me for as long as Nintendo keeps releasing them at this price.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Have you played Canvas Curse/Power Paintbrush? That was brilliant. 

But yeah, I don’t really understand them outside of that. Or at least, I think they’re largely designed for kids. Epic Yarn seemed like it was to be a child’s first platforms. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Have you played Canvas Curse/Power Paintbrush? That was brilliant. 

But yeah, I don’t really understand them outside of that. Or at least, I think they’re largely designed for kids. Epic Yarn seemed like it was to be a child’s first platforms. 

I vaguely remember playing Canvas Curse and thinking the stylus drawing mechanic was pretty good, until I got bored because Kirby.

I'm all for companies making much simpler games for different audiences, of course. I have no issue whatsoever with Kirby games existing. It's just that the rabid anticipation of them always strikes me as like getting massively excited for a hidden object game or something.

It doesn't exactly set the world alight. I played it on my own and with my daughter and it just felt confusing, often I'd lose sight of my character or didn't know what I was doing. I'm sure I'd get some enjoyment from it in multiplayer mode because it made my daughter laugh, but I'd just be buying it for the sake of it. 

It looks quite nice but would benefit from 60fps imo, and tbh I couldn't see any reason why that isn't possible.

The only genuinely great Kirby game is Kirby's Magic Paintbrush, precisely because it's nothing like a regular Kirby game. When there are so many great indie platformers available for 10-20 quid, or even less, I just don't understand how people can get excited about handing over 40 quid for something so basic.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Full disclosure, I also don't like Kirby but I did enjoy Epic Yarn on the Wii, purely for the art direction and the little secrets and surprises. I feel similarly about this demo. It feels very much like a game for five year olds - no disrespect to them or anyone who enjoyed this demo - because it's beautifully presented, looks and sounds cute and bouncy, some lovely little moments and ideas but absolutely no challenge or skill involved at all. It's almost like an interactive Let's Play (as stupid as that sounds). And yet, I can understand people enjoying that. It's very relaxing and low-level satisfying. It's the towel folding ASMR of video games, which is faint praise but not too damning, at all. 

• Upvote 1

Epic Yarn was quite good, the presentation was lovely, but Good Feel went on to make a much better game building on the Yoshi's Island platforming formula. The Switch Yoshi game looks superb.

I feel bit indifferent to this demo like Kirby games in general. Nothing  bad about it, but nothing to really grab me either, it had a few nice power up ideas, but that's about it. 

The paintbrush games were great, particularly the Wii U one. Wish they'd made another one of them instead.

I’m another who only really cared for Canvas Curse (and Kirby’s Pinball Land, obviously).

I’m not all that hyped for the Yoshi game either. There comes a point where you have to accept that certain Nintendo games simply aren’t meant for you. It hurts, I know.

This is nice, breezy fun. It looks lovely in HD too.

I do feel sorry for that tree though. How many different Kirby games has he had his arse kicked?!