rllmuk
Don Rosco

Joker origin film - Joaquin Phoenix Confirmed

1 hour ago, Rudderless said:

He's right, though. There are far more deserving films. 

Such as? Joker is one of the very best films made last year anywhere in the world. There are more deserving films sure, but not that many.

• Upvote 4

Hey, if you like wacky Taxi Driver good luck to you. It's a good example of how to do something interesting with the super hero genre, but it doesn't do anything particularly interesting outside of "What if Joker was Scorsese made by the guy who made The Hangover?" 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Festoon said:

I don't like his reviews generally but he's pretty right here. The shortlists are baffling. Where the fuck is Jennifer Lopez? 

for the Strippers Rob a Bank or Something movie? but it looks so shit

1 hour ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

for the Strippers Rob a Bank or Something movie? but it looks so shit

She is amazing in it.

11 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Joker really does continue to sit in this weird place where it's not enough of a comic superhero film for those who really like comic superhero films but not substantial enough for those who think it can ever possibly be authentic in expressing real themes.

I'm so glad I don't think this way. Joker and Endgame are my two favourite films of the year (that I've seen). I don't know why people are now trying to pigeon hole people in categories of the type of person who can like these films, its entirely possible to like both.

I agree on the rest of your post.

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Mugman said:

Hey, if you like wacky Taxi Driver good luck to you. It's a good example of how to do something interesting with the super hero genre, but it doesn't do anything particularly interesting outside of "What if Joker was Scorsese made by the guy who made The Hangover?" 

Why does it need to? Why can't it just be Scorcese comic book?

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Joker really does continue to sit in this weird place where it's not enough of a comic superhero film for those who really like comic superhero films but not substantial enough for those who think it can ever possibly be authentic in expressing real themes.

These are often some of my favourite films: genre pieces that try to reach beyond their station. I’ve noticed that critics tend to slap them down much harder than if they’d just stayed within genre conventions. 

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, Pob said:

These are often some of my favourite films: genre pieces that try to reach beyond their station. I’ve noticed that critics tend to slap them down much harder than if they’d just stayed within genre conventions. 

So much this. I am no fan of comic movies, but Joker is simply a brilliant film be each and every metric. By coming from comics it opens itself up to wide criticism. If it was called "Malcolm" it would be hailed as an ode to Scorcese. 

The Superhero genre made possible this fantastic piece of cinema. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Festoon said:

She is amazing in it.

Everyone kept saying this around the time of launch, but I didn't see this supposedly amazing performance at all. 

She brought the same sassy one-dimensionality she brings to every role, and never had a hair out of place. I was expecting Widows and got a music video.

2 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Why can't you spell his name right?

Because I'm not an academic. Every sentence I write I reveal how little schooling I have.

Wow, what a disappointing bait and switch this flick is! 

It sucks you in with a delightfully thoughtful and nuanced mess of filmmaking and performance right up until he sees his gig being broadcast on the telly in his mom’s hospital room, and then it just reveals itself to be an entirely vapid and witless turd.

A real shame. If it had ended before that bit it would be a triumph.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

On 07/01/2020 at 19:56, Loik V credern said:

Marvel nerd Jeff Cannata was so bewildered by it, like he couldn't grasp what the point of it was. I'd like to think anyone would enjoy the acting, cinematography and score, all of which are genuinely outstanding. There you go, 3 reasons.

I thought the acting, cinematography and score were all amazing. Outstanding even. Really good and probably deserving of Oscars.

However, I really, really didn't like the film. I just thought the whole thing was a bit "meh". I found I really didn't care about anyone in the whole thing, even Arthur / Joker. It was all just a bit dull, there were points that should have been quite emotional and some that should have been exciting that I just thought were really flat. I just didn't care what happened. If the I had have turned it off half way through, I don't feel like I would have missed anything. But I've seen it now, in done, never going to watch it again, moving on...

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

I thought the acting, cinematography and score were all amazing. Outstanding even. Really good and probably deserving of Oscars.

However, I really, really didn't like the film. I just thought the whole thing was a bit "meh". I found I really didn't care about anyone in the whole thing, even Arthur / Joker. It was all just a bit dull, there were points that should have been quite emotional and some that should have been exciting that I just thought were really flat. I just didn't care what happened. If the I had have turned it off half way through, I don't feel like I would have missed anything. But I've seen it now, in done, never going to watch it again, moving on...

Baffled at the best director nod over Gerwig for this. Aping versus directing. Bizarre.

• Downvote 2
  • Empathy 1

On 08/01/2020 at 03:13, kerraig UK said:

Why does it need to? Why can't it just be Scorcese comic book?

Sorry, only just saw this. I mean it obviously can be a Scorsese comic book. There's nothing inherently wrong with that. But I guess I just wanted a bit more than that from it. Maybe an in depth look at mental health, or actually saying something interesting about the incel culture it's portraying. Now that's me putting my own expectations on the film, which isn't really the point, but I think it's fair to be disappointed that Joker wasn't more than just "what if we took the character and made Taxi Driver the comic with it?"

I don't know, it's very well put together and Phoenix is excellent, but as a whole it's just a bit soulless and lacking in the kind of depth I was after. Meanwhile it's up against a film in The Irishman which looks at the kind of projects Marty was making 20-30 years ago and looks at them through a completely new lens; ageing. And it's a total breath of fresh air. 

There's so many places a movie about an incel Joker in 2019 could have gone, so many interesting angles they could have taken. But for a film that had loads of reviewers talking about how dangerous it was, they played it pretty safe story wise. 

• Upvote 2

This is such a bad take on the film that seems to be spreading. Fine if you don't like the film but not once in the film does he get rejected by woman. There isn't a single point where he pursues a love interest and gets turned down.

• Upvote 2

Isn't it actually more like: "man with mental health issues starts murdering people because he has no access to mental health support, but easy access to guns"? Or would that shine too bright a light on America?

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Isn't it actually more like: "man with mental health issues starts murdering people because he has no access to mental health support, but easy access to guns"? Or would that shine too bright a light on America?

It's a bit of both that and being the downtrodden and forgotten. Arthur is the main focal point of the film but this is happening to everyone in Gotham, nit just him, hence the riots. He isn't the only one that release his rage. 

But to say its Incel the movie and he kills people cause of rejection is complete bs.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

This is such a bad take on the film that seems to be spreading. Fine if you don't like the film but not once in the film does he get rejected by woman. There isn't a single point where he pursues a love interest and gets turned down.

And thats why you shouldn’t be on Twitter. It’s a cesspool.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

Yes because the only thing a white male could possibly be angry about is getting dumped by a woman. 

9 hours ago, Stigweard said:

He does kind of get rejected by a woman

albeit one with whom he only ever had a relationship in his head.

Anyway, there's only one way to read the story, because the 'joke' he shouts in the climactic scene is basically Todd Phillips' pitch for the film in its entirety. 

• Upvote 1

Got around to watching this tonight. It’s a beautifully styled film and fantastically shot, but  as a narrative it was a nothing; a man getting beat down physically and mentally for two hours with a few token comic character additions thrown in. The last half hour was the best. a great tone piece for a Dark Knight film.

• Upvote 1