Cyhwuhx

Sundered - Subtly randomised Lovecraftian Metroidvania

Well, I thought that initially as well. Was kind of fearful it would just be a pixel perfect combat game. Turns out the shield is the key to that. Even if you can't dodge everything, the shield will give you a few seconds to breathe. It turns the situation from "oh CRAP" into pure exhilaration.

I don't know why I've not bought it yet -everything about it is what I like and it looks lovely but I just can't get excited for it.

Maybe it just doesn't fit my idea of Lovecraftian; visuals are clean and it's an action game... I'll get it in a sale no doubt.

8 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

I would be all over this but the randomised aspect puts me off a bit. 

It's nowhere near as bad as say, Rogue Legacy. The main areas are in the same spots including key areas, just how the main areas are built can differ. You 'know' the area, yet you don't. Fits in with the madness theme.

I toyed with starting a thread on this. Not as far in as you, but enjoying it. To temper the enthusiasm a bit, I'd say it's a solidly average experience: the combat is a bit boring, as you have just one weapon with one moveset. The levels mostly look identical with just a palette change. Unlocks are of the 'here's more of this' rather than 'here's something new' variety. 

The hand drawn art's gorgeous and it's got an interesting story, but is firmly in the Roguey camp and doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as even a lesser Metroid or Post-SOTN Vania. Fun on its own merit though; a solid 6/10 for me. 

53 minutes ago, Treble said:

I toyed with starting a thread on this. Not as far in as you, but enjoying it. To temper the enthusiasm a bit, I'd say it's a solidly average experience: the combat is a bit boring, as you have just one weapon with one moveset. The levels mostly look identical with just a palette change. Unlocks are of the 'here's more of this' rather than 'here's something new' variety. 

The hand drawn art's gorgeous and it's got an interesting story, but is firmly in the Roguey camp and doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as even a lesser Metroid or Post-SOTN Vania. Fun on its own merit though; a solid 6/10 for me. 

Seems you haven't found the cannon yet? :)

Ah, no then :)

Still, I've played 4 hours or so and there's no variety in the combat. Hyper Light Drifter was a similar setup (gun and sword)  and I'd class that as the same: not varied enough. Would you say the cannon adds a lot of  variety to the combat? 

12 minutes ago, Treble said:

Ah, no then :)

Still, I've played 4 hours or so and there's no variety in the combat. Hyper Light Drifter was a similar setup (gun and sword)  and I'd class that as the same: not varied enough. Would you say the cannon adds a lot of  variety to the combat? 

Adds a lot to crowd control as it's a rather powerful travelling blast. Its recoil demands strategic use, but you can upgrade it to counter that. But yes, it's definitely more akin to Muramasa in that respect; I find myself using the "blade" a lot more regardless. It's also slower paced than other games in the genre. Four hours in and I'm only now getting a new toy to play with, and that's with 3 instances of encountered requirements for even different toys. It doesn't seem to be a speed-runner.*

*: Fully expects to be proven wrong.

Only just got into this and after a decent day with it I am now hooked! The combat is judged really well, not too complex, fast but not too fast and when the big hordes hit and you survive it's a great feeling. Beat the first HUGE boss and that was pretty incredible. The animation at times is so good.

• Upvote 1

Sheesh. I've had this wonderful thing since launch and quite honestly the initial learning curve felt too much at that time. Thought I'd give it another go - mainly because it's one of the most beautiful games I've ever played (along with a glorious soundtrack), and I'm absolutely absorbed by it.

Finding the going tough, but surprisingly fair...

Well, until I gave the first main boss a go...some more grinding to do before I'm able to beat the bugger, but the animation on him (and his size!) is such that at the moment I don't care so much. 

It's so good.

SO.

GOOD.

8 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

The new update from a few months back rebalanced a lot as well next to adding a few more toys. It’s quite a treat. :) Have fun!

I did wonder if there'd been some sort of 'fiddling' with it, as whilst it's still tough, I'm constantly getting enough progression to make it incredibly enjoyable!